European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Rattling rear brake pads ?

Hello Chaps,
Im sure my rear pads are rattling in the calipers, when im on badly surfaced B roads. Ive found as soon as i put the slightest of pressure on the brake pedal, there is no more rattling over the same surfaces. This used to be a problem on the GT-R. I will remove the rear pads, bend the anti rattle clip a little more, and apply some copper grease as well. Hopefully this will do the trick. Has anyone else noticed this ?Thankyou, Simon.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Hello Chaps,
Im sure my rear pads are rattling in the calipers, when im on badly surfaced B roads. Ive found as soon as i put the slightest of pressure on the brake pedal, there is no more rattling over the same surfaces. This used to be a problem on the GT-R. I will remove the rear pads, bend the anti rattle clip a little more, and apply some copper grease as well. Hopefully this will do the trick. Has anyone else noticed this ?Thankyou, Simon.
Possible but i think rather improbable. the antirattle springs are very tight snug fit. while checking that also press on the dust shield. its very close on this car and pebbles tend to collect in there. you should see a nice little pile form when you press it back. Also look into the emergency brake line brackets. some have had issues with a bracket touching the driveshaft causing a scraping noise. hard to pinpoint the origin listening from the cabin.
      02-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
Simon H
Major
Rep

Karussell,
Thanks for the reply. I can actually grasp the rear pads by hand, and gently push them up and down, and virtually recreate the rattling sound with the car static. There is definitely movement from the pads inside the caliper. On the road, I can get the rattling to happen, then left foot brake, whilst keeping the power on, and the rattling disappears instantly, with the slightest of pressure on the brake pedal. Will have a go at bending the rattle clip a little, keeping the pads, hopefully, tighter in the caliper, and less likely to rattle. Will inspect for the other issues whilst I'm digging around in there. On a side note, I cannot get the front pads to move in the slightest in the front calipers. The noise I'm complaining about is definitely a metallic rattle on rough surfaces, and not a screeching sound that a trapped stone in the heat shield would produce.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Simon H
Major
Rep

Hi Chaps,
Just to let folks know, I feel I have solved this problem. Firstly, I'm quite surprised that I feel that I'm the only owner to notice this rattling, I'm sure I cannot be the only one, with how many cars are out there,but nevertheless, I'm very happy with today's result. I removed the rear pads, and the anti rattle springs. I then bent down the springs, to sit a lot tighter on the top of the pad. Before reinstalling the pads, I rubbed on a very thin coating of coppergrease, on the back of the pads, and down the outer pad edges, then put a light smear on the retaining pins, before reinstalling everything. I have driven around 50 or so miles today, and no rattling at all. So if anyone notices any rattling they cannot pinpoint, this post could very well help them out, regards, Simon.
Appreciate 0