R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

02-05-2015, 03:00 AM   #1
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Question re: Enhanced USB/Bluetooth coding

Does anybody know if it's possible to code enhanced USB in addition to enhanced bluetooth?

I'm trying to get my old iPhone to connect via USB. I have the 6FL cable connected to both the audio jack and USB port direct to an iPhone 4S that I'm using strictly as an iPod. This worked perfectly in my 2011 335is and 2010 535i. I was able to fully access playlists, artists, tracks, etc. through iDrive on the screen.

Now, in my 2015 M3 which did not come with enhanced USB/bluetooth, using the same 6FL cable, I am only able to get playback from the audio jack itself. Sound comes through but none of the data for playlists, songs, etc. is coming through the USB cable. On the screen, when I press the media button, the USB connector on the screen is grayed out. It will say "reading" for about 3 seconds, then change to "not connected" for another few seconds, then says "not supported".

Does anybody know whether coding can restore USB playback of my iPhone/iPod? Is it another issue? Perhaps there's an updated USB cable I need?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 06:31 AM   #2
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Does anybody know if it's possible to code enhanced USB in addition to enhanced bluetooth?

I'm trying to get my old iPhone to connect via USB. I have the 6FL cable connected to both the audio jack and USB port direct to an iPhone 4S that I'm using strictly as an iPod. This worked perfectly in my 2011 335is and 2010 535i. I was able to fully access playlists, artists, tracks, etc. through iDrive on the screen.

Now, in my 2015 M3 which did not come with enhanced USB/bluetooth, using the same 6FL cable, I am only able to get playback from the audio jack itself. Sound comes through but none of the data for playlists, songs, etc. is coming through the USB cable. On the screen, when I press the media button, the USB connector on the screen is grayed out. It will say "reading" for about 3 seconds, then change to "not connected" for another few seconds, then says "not supported".

Does anybody know whether coding can restore USB playback of my iPhone/iPod? Is it another issue? Perhaps there's an updated USB cable I need?

Thanks!
I had the same issue I have an old, first generation iPod Touch that still works great. I was using this in my 2012 335i and had no problems. I tried connecting this the same way as you describe and got the same results.

Solution - just use a white Apple USB connector connected to USB only. Voila - all info, album covers transferred to the display. Works fine now. Try that.
Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
I had the same issue I have an old, first generation iPod Touch that still works great. I was using this in my 2012 335i and had no problems. I tried connecting this the same way as you describe and got the same results.

Solution - just use a white Apple USB connector connected to USB only. Voila - all info, album covers transferred to the display. Works fine now. Try that.
Thanks JDS! That worked! Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Thanks JDS! That worked! Appreciate it!
Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic