E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Tried to Vinyl Wrap my Key

02-08-2015, 01:33 AM   #1
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Tried to Vinyl Wrap my Key

Let me tell you, don't try this.
It sucks to do, and then makes the key too thick to fit into the hole.

Also, you basically have to crack the key open and you'll damage the edge of the key. Theres no clips, the 2 halves of the key are bonded together, which I didn't realize.

I got it bonded back together but it kind of looks crappy now. Disappointed.

There's no good replacement key fob casings on eBay or Amazon either. All crap quality from what I've read.
      02-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
You should have just gone with the CF Key Fob Overlays for $9.85
  • Pre-cut from 3M Dinoc CF
  • Fit the fob perfectly
  • EZ install
  • Don't interfere with the key fob use at all
  • Available for the different style fobs

I've had them on my key fobs for 3 yrs now with no problems or peeling

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Carbon-F...-/281099199526

Link is for overlays from MDecals - they are a forum sponsor, that's just their eBay store

F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
888Concept
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 n54 FBO COBB'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentphish View Post
Let me tell you, don't try this.
It sucks to do, and then makes the key too thick to fit into the hole.

Also, you basically have to crack the key open and you'll damage the edge of the key. Theres no clips, the 2 halves of the key are bonded together, which I didn't realize.

I got it bonded back together but it kind of looks crappy now. Disappointed.

There's no good replacement key fob casings on eBay or Amazon either. All crap quality from what I've read.
You're a good man for sharing your mistake to help others avoid it. But if you want to redo it, go with the overlay like 1Quik suggested, or use an exacto knife to cut the vinyl. I know it takes more time but the result will be much better.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888Concept View Post
You're a good man for sharing your mistake to help others avoid it. But if you want to redo it, go with the overlay like 1Quik suggested, or use an exacto knife to cut the vinyl. I know it takes more time but the result will be much better.

Thanks, I'd rather get the info out there than try and fail like I did...and I did use an x-acto

Big issue is that I wrapped the vinyl up around the edges of the two halves of the fob, so when bonding it back together, it's made the whole key thicker because there is both vinyl and superglue in there now. I have no idea why I freakin did that. It was really dumb. I'd really love to get it apart and remove the shit from between, sand it all down and re-bond it.

Just not sure I can do that without ruining the key casing further. I REALLY wish there was a quality replacement plastic casing for the key but everything I've seen has been shit.