EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

02-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

warranty compliable lowering springs

Hi guys i am looking to lower my M4 f82. But i want to maintain my warranty. With the suspension system being reasonably complex and certainly costly id rather not be told that due to my £300 springs a warranty claim was denied due to non manufacturer springs.

I have heard that i can use F33 springs from the M sport 335i cab?

apparently the drop is more than noticeable. If not what else is there apart from the over priced £550 AC Shnitzer springs? Alpina.......?

thanks for any help.

Last edited by jwilliams; 02-12-2015 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 01:14 AM   #2
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

The AC Schnitzer springs include a warranty that covers related components, so should BMW decide they've caused a problem (unlikely), we would cover the cost of repairs at your dealer.

We put extensive R&D into every kit to make sure it performs as well as possible, we don't just look at the axle weights and pick a lowering figure out of thin air . This R&D is reflected in the price.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 05:21 AM   #3
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep

Still an extortionate price. H&R are widely reputable and bought by a majority of BMW and M4 owners. Mainly because they are not £500.

Earning little and often earns more imo. If the AC Shnitzer Springs were £300 i am sure most would buy them.

But thank you for the reply.

Anyone know anything about fitting the F33 Cab Springs for a drop?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 06:33 AM   #4
singh21
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Im not sure the 435i springs will work the same on the F83

I know there are some H&R springs but there is only one drop length too unlike the coupe were there is sport, supersport etc
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 08:04 AM   #5
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep

I have a coupe. I was told the f33 cab springs will lower the f82 m4 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordon335 View Post
I have a coupe. I was told the f33 cab springs will lower the f82 m4 coupe.
I just had Eibach springs fitted to mine yesterday. I have not seen the car in person but the emailed pics look good.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep

If buying after market springs ill buy H&R. But in warranty a spring is enough for bmw to void a suspension claim. Or anything that is directly effected by it. So with the M4's electrical dampening suspension could get pricey over some lowering.

Thats why i am looking for some that may be warranty compliable .
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
Lorcan
Rep

That's why we offer a warranty-friendly solution, but at a higher price. You can't have it both ways. If you fit 435i springs BMW aren't going to warrant any trouble they cause. We offer a solution for those that want a 100% model-specific fully tested product backed by an extended warranty. We will never compete with mass-market spring manufacturers on price alone.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Some people just want their cake and eat it!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep

Iv spoken to bmw and they are fine with another bmw spring being used. So that is having my cake and eating it. Lol. Just need to find someone with some knowledge to point me to which ones i need.

Ill certainly pass on the £500 springs though thanks Lorcan £300 and you'd have a deal. £500 and ill find an alternative or stay stock. I do not £500 want my car lower.

Thanks for the replies though.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 01:14 AM   #11
Lorcan
Rep

BMW will let you fit any spring you like and pick up the tab when it goes wrong? How about a set off an X6?

Ok good luck with it!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 05:51 AM   #12
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep

They said as long as the are off of a vehicle that shares a shock and spring set up, it complies with the terms of warranty for surrounding parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #13
singh21
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
BMW will let you fit any spring you like and pick up the tab when it goes wrong? How about a set off an X6?

Ok good luck with it!
Are there any pics at all of these springs? Haven't been able to find any online
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #14
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post

Ok good luck with it!
Hi,
I thought that TUV approved springs had block approval,and did not affect manufacturers warranty?
Clarity on this would be appreciated.
Cheers
Denso
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #15
Lorcan
Rep

TUV certificates list specific models. They are not valid if the part is fitted to a different car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 12:54 PM   #16
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
So for instance AC Schnitzer and Eibach both have approval,for the M4 correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #17
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Sorry but I don't get it. You spend £50k plus on a performance car for which the springs are a very important and intrinsic part of the package. Yet rather than choose a set of springs that have been developed specifically for the car and have full warranty back up (indeed BMW dealers will fit them), you'd rather save £200 and look to buy a set of BMW springs from another model which aren't designed to work with the car and have had no professional testing, let alone fact that BMW would look to any excuse to refuse warranty claims if they found you'd fitted them and dampers failed for some reason.

For £200 saving? Really? Clearly missing something here...
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #18
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denso View Post
So for instance AC Schnitzer and Eibach both have approval,for the M4 correct?
I don't know about Eibach, probably, but AC Schnitzer springs are TUV approved for the M3 and M4. The certificate here specifically names these models.

Our 435i spring kit is not approved for fitting on M cars though, and nor will the standard BMW springs be. I can't see BMW thinking this is an ok thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 01:39 PM   #19
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Sorry but I don't get it. You spend £50k plus on a performance car for which the springs are a very important and intrinsic part of the package. Yet rather than choose a set of springs that have been developed specifically for the car and have full warranty back up (indeed BMW dealers will fit them), you'd rather save £200 and look to buy a set of BMW springs from another model which aren't designed to work with the car and have had no professional testing, let alone fact that BMW would look to any excuse to refuse warranty claims if they found you'd fitted them and dampers failed for some reason.

Looked at this way, our spring kit is a whopping 1% of the purchase price...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #20
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

50k for an M4, name your dealer I havent even driven mine yet I am over 70k and the reason I went with Eibach was because the drop was less severe and I was advised that they are TUV approved for the M4

Nothing wrong with AC Schnitzer, check out my garage and you will see that I owned an ACS3 coupe in 2006 and loved it. http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/alb...ictureid=27533
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 02:02 PM   #21
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denso
Quote:

50k for an M4, name your dealer I havent even driven mine yet I am over 70k and the reason I went with Eibach was because the drop was less severe and I was advised that they are TUV approved for the M4

Nothing wrong with AC Schnitzer, check out my garage and you will see that I owned an ACS3 coupe in 2006 and loved it.
Nothing wrong with Eibach at all and it wasn't centric to ACS at all. My point was why on earth look to fit BMW springs designed for another car?? Why not do something radical and actually buy springs designed for your actual car?

I did say £50k plus. Discounts are now appearing of significant nature so low fifties is possible even with few extras (I know as talking to dealer and waiting until I'm cash positive on my car before changing).
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #22
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Nothing wrong with Eibach at all and it wasn't centric to ACS at all. My point was why on earth look to fit BMW springs designed for another car?? Why not do something radical and actually buy springs designed for your actual car?

I did say £50k plus. Discounts are now appearing of significant nature so low fifties is possible even with few extras (I know as talking to dealer and waiting until I'm cash positive on my car before changing).
No worries mate I get you. I think you are right about the discounts I see some are starting to appear for under 50k second hand with low miles. The mod bug bit me again with this one so what I got in discount I have spent on mods x2
Look out for the reveal pics in late March
Appreciate 0