E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Door Panel Removal Required for Tinting?

01-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
bebecker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 2007 335i

Door Panel Removal Required for Tinting?

I will be tinting next week. I have called around and some shops do pull door panels and some shops do not. I am not sure which way to go. Not sure if I want all my door panels pulled off and slapped back on. I have pulled mine off for speaker install, and could pull the panels and take it in without.

What do you think pull the panels or not?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

so... what is your question exactly? If you can pull off the panels yourself, of course pull it off, it'll make the tinter's job easier and they'll do a better tint job as a result.
      01-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Yes and no.... Some tinters pull the door panels, some do not. I'd rather them NOT remove the OEM Fasteners and introduce god knows what kind of rattles down the road.

The guy that did my windows gently tucked the rubber seal, and then ran the film below that by about 5 mils or so. Works like a charm, and there's no drama.

Rear window Dot Matrix is so-so, but the rest is perfection.
      01-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
EHDEN
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [7.00]
a good TINT place will not need to. I did not. go find another place to get them tinted. DON'T let them take out your door panel. That is just insane.
      01-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
canucklion
Canada
Rep

My tinter didn't remove the door panel, and he did an awesome job.

I'm saying that if the OP can remove the door panel himself, go ahead and do so, because sometimes when tinters 'pull back' the panel, it may not be snapped back in properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Yes and no.... Some tinters pull the door panels, some do not. I'd rather them NOT remove the OEM Fasteners and introduce god knows what kind of rattles down the road.

The guy that did my windows gently tucked the rubber seal, and then ran the film below that by about 5 mils or so. Works like a charm, and there's no drama.

Rear window Dot Matrix is so-so, but the rest is perfection.
      01-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
canucklion
Canada
Rep

yes, don't let THEM take out the panel. But you can take it out yourself, thanks to txusa03's DIY, I did, and it's easy, but might not be easy for tinters who are not familiar with our car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHDEN View Post
a good TINT place will not need to. I did not. go find another place to get them tinted. DON'T let them take out your door panel. That is just insane.
      01-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
japac1
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
I wish on my E90 I had the panels removed. There are a ton of scratches evident, however, the tint itself is still looking good overall. My E92 (well, actually, the ole ladies...) has felt on the inside door panel that I assume would protect from scratches thus negating the need to remove the panel?
      01-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
bspaceman
The Last Beautiful Free Soul On This Planet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i coupe

My tinter did a fantastic job and did not pull the panels off.

I would say find a good shop that does not. The last thing you want is rattle from getting your windows tinted.

Jet Black/Black Leather 335i coupe (totaled courtesy of the pizza kid
Sport/Premi/Comft/Nav - iDrive/Sirius/iPod/OEM Body kit, M Sideskirts, M deck lip, Miro 366s on Nitto 555 NTs, Matte Black Grills, Valentine 1 hardwire, 35% tint, BMS Lighting, BMS computer magic, BMS Dual Cone
Appreciate 0