E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMWhat app and dealer code diagnostics

02-19-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
kressley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

BMWhat app and dealer code diagnostics

So I bought this setup and pulled a few sensor codes.
My car was at the dealer to fix a few leaky gaskets etc and with my warranty running out I had hoped they would find the same codes and suggest fixing the sensors.
When the car was finished I asked the service writer if any codes came up that need fixed. He scanned the invoice and said no that the diagnostics showed no codes and I was good to go.

How is that possible?
BMWhat shows A468, A680, A6CF and now 5087 after transleeve leak fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

Try to run ISTA-D Rheingold to see if any codes come up but run BMWHAT first to see if the same codes come up.
I got both, but there is something strange going on if the dealer is right.
      02-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
kressley
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don't have that software. Looks like it's $250.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kressley View Post
So I bought this setup and pulled a few sensor codes.
My car was at the dealer to fix a few leaky gaskets etc and with my warranty running out I had hoped they would find the same codes and suggest fixing the sensors.
When the car was finished I asked the service writer if any codes came up that need fixed. He scanned the invoice and said no that the diagnostics showed no codes and I was good to go.

How is that possible?
BMWhat shows A468, A680, A6CF and now 5087 after transleeve leak fix.
The reason is that BMWhat list all types of codes; hard codes (fault) and shadow codes (may come and go).

A shadow code need to be persistent (like after so many driving cycle or start/stop) in order to become a hard code. The dealer only look at the hard code for warranty service. They ignore shadow codes.

I did mentioned this issue before to Parvis of BMWhat. That will be great if the App could differentiate between type of code. In the mean time, I have to use "BMW Logger" software with a K-CAN cable to find out which code is hard and which one is shadow.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
kressley
Enlisted Member
Rep

Interesting. BMWLogger shows no hard codes or shadow codes.

I did clear all faults after I installed and registered a new battery about an hour ago.
Appreciate 0