F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R Sport Springs review
Extreme Powerhouse

02-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #1
DD335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BSM F30 335i

H&R Sport Springs review

Will you guys chime in on how you like the springs?
How long you've had them?
How's the ride?

I've seen most people are content, just trying to get some opinions before go for it.

South Florida Real Estate
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:31 AM   #2
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435i xDrive MSport

I had the H&R sport springs installed on my '14 435i xDrive not long after purchase. The resulting ride height put the xDrive where I think a sport coupe "should be," while retaining the winter driving advantages of all-wheel-drive. There is about 1" of wheel gap front & rear. Regarding ride, in my opinion the stock dampers are too soft for the springs. Both compression and rebound happen a bit too quickly on bigger rolling frost heaves and bumps. It's not horrible, but I personally would like more damping to eliminate the quick "bounce back" after bigger compressions. Some sharper bumps immediately produce a "thud" - possibly a product of the progressive spring rate with the light damping of the stock struts.

Recently I hit a monster pothole - a product of the very strange freezing/raining/thawing cycles we're having here this winter. It was horrible and I put a slight flat spot on both driver-side winter wheels (tire beads are okay) and broke the lower tab on the front strut, causing the strut to slide in the lower pinch bolt/clamp and dropping the ride height about 3/4" on the driver front.

I'm wondering if I would have sustained such damage had I been running the taller & softer stock springs. My guess is I would have, as it was an exceptionally bad pothole. I'm deciding now whether to replace the stock struts and shocks with Bilstein B8s, which are supposed to be 20% stiffer than stock hence, theoretically better suited to the H&R springs; or, go back to the stock springs with an OEM replacement strut.
2014 435i xDrive MSport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / MPPK / 6MT / 19" / M Sport Brakes / DINAN Springs / Bilstein B8 / Technology Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assist / HK Sound

Last edited by LastFrontierBimmer; 03-01-2015 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Echan330
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

I've been looking for opinions as well and came across this.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=916893
Appreciate 3
      02-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echan330 View Post
I've been looking for opinions as well and came across this.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=916893
Great review. Thank you for the link. Given the relatively small difference in price I am going with coil overs. The main reason is that I have friends who are unhappy with the drop. The drop can be also be inconsistent. I am waaaay to OCD so having the ability to adjust the height is necessary to keep my sanity. This car is also my only car so I use it for ski trips to Mammoth. I intend to raise it a bit so I can install chains and to deal with the snow and ice.

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
DD335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BSM F30 335i

Nice
I'm in South Florida, not many ice issues here. Haha

I think I'll be going with the Sport springs and then if need be adding the Bilsteins

South Florida Real Estate
Appreciate 1