E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Battery Registration?

02-20-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
akasnow
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White 335i E90

Exclamation Battery Registration?

So, I just got a new-to-me 335i E90 LCI recently. It's a 2009 w/58k mi. It needed a new battery and the dealer tossed that into my deal. We took it to get the battery replaced at a shop that has the computer to properly read/scan codes etc. I'm trying to figure out what the cause might be for some things that I'm pretty sure my car should be doing, but it's not - and if you think that's related to an improper battery registration.

- Halos do not dim on/off during car un/lock. The other lights do though.
- I cannot program the car to beep when un/locking. Option just flat out isn't there like the manual shows.
- I haven't dug into the wheel well where the module supposedly is, but the alarm light doesn't blink on the mirror. Homelink dimming mirror with red light, but friend pointed out there's no hood pin, so assumtion might be that it doesn't have that option.
- Possible other options that may/may not be present to me that I'm thinking might, that I can't recall at this moment lol.

Thoughts? It's bugging me, because I SWEAR I saw the option to enable the beep on un/lock while messing with it, but didn't enable it because it was like 2am. Then later on in the week I went to check back for it to test it, and it wasn't there. (This was all before battery change. Car was really struggling to start at times. Almost stranded me once.)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by akasnow View Post
So, I just got a new-to-me 335i E90 LCI recently. It's a 2009 w/58k mi. It needed a new battery and the dealer tossed that into my deal. We took it to get the battery replaced at a shop that has the computer to properly read/scan codes etc. I'm trying to figure out what the cause might be for some things that I'm pretty sure my car should be doing, but it's not - and if you think that's related to an improper battery registration.

- Halos do not dim on/off during car un/lock. The other lights do though.
- I cannot program the car to beep when un/locking. Option just flat out isn't there like the manual shows.
- I haven't dug into the wheel well where the module supposedly is, but the alarm light doesn't blink on the mirror. Homelink dimming mirror with red light, but friend pointed out there's no hood pin, so assumtion might be that it doesn't have that option.
- Possible other options that may/may not be present to me that I'm thinking might, that I can't recall at this moment lol.

Thoughts? It's bugging me, because I SWEAR I saw the option to enable the beep on un/lock while messing with it, but didn't enable it because it was like 2am. Then later on in the week I went to check back for it to test it, and it wasn't there. (This was all before battery change. Car was really struggling to start at times. Almost stranded me once.)
If all this started happening after changing the battery then it is safe to say that all your settings were reset due to the modules loosing power. If you are not sure that your has an alarm installed you can always check your VIN at BMWarchive.org. It'll show factory options installed..

Or take your manual (if any) and go dig through the cluster settings wiith the BC stalk buttons. If your car has navigation then, those settings are in settings menu.
      02-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
akasnow
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
If all this started happening after changing the battery then it is safe to say that all your settings were reset due to the modules loosing power. If you are not sure that your has an alarm installed you can always check your VIN at BMWarchive.org. It'll show factory options installed..

Or take your manual (if any) and go dig through the cluster settings wiith the BC stalk buttons. If your car has navigation then, those settings are in settings menu.
No, nothing was there before the battery change. However I do think I saw the beep setting before the battery change, but it was gone before the change, and still is gone now too. I'll check the VIN for options.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #4
akasnow
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So, randomly (maybe after the car went into deep sleep) the halos now dim on/off when you un/lock the car! However, I still can't set the car to beep when un/locking. BUT, maybe I was just day dreaming while flipping through the manual, and really never saw it in my dash options. Is it true that the actual beep comes from alarm system? I checked my VIN, and it looks like I have the Pre-Wire, but most likely not the actual alarm system. Would that be the reason why I do not have that beep option?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Your car likely wasn't optioned with the alarm. Fairly simple retrofit if you really want it...parts can be scored for about $150.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
akasnow
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I've heard it was easy. So, then you agree that I need the alarm in order to have the beep notification of the lock/unlock? I'm trying to make sure that everything is back to "normal" operation after this battery replacement. Things were all wonky before hand.
Appreciate 0