E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Thinking of engine upgrades

02-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
F82M4
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i '10

Thinking of engine upgrades

Hey E90Post, I've started to think about engine upgrades to my car. I have an N54 335i and have been wondering, is a JB4 all I need to have a noticeably fast car? All I have is exhaust so far, I'm looking to have a "sleeper" 335i. Other than a tune, what can I do to my car to make it fast and smog legal? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'd say JB4 with downpipes would be a great first start and very budget friendly!

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Kevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Alpine White 6MT

cant do anything and pass California emissions unless it has a carb E.0 #
      02-22-2015, 10:48 PM   #4
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinl View Post
cant do anything and pass California emissions unless it has a carb E.0 #
Well, you can, but it's illegal, and a PITA to swap out the DPs for the cats when it's time for a smog check.
      02-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
Well, you can, but it's illegal, and a PITA to swap out the DPs for the cats when it's time for a smog check.
Worth it?? haha

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
F82M4
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i '10

Alright, so I'm considering the JB4 tune. Anything I should look out for?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBABY View Post
What do you mean by that?

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 01:16 AM   #8
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
E85 gas about 1/4 tank and top out with pump gas

With the JB4 and E85 gas you should get 650 hp to the wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:41 AM   #9
Aashenfox
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi 6AT

Quote:
Discounts at gas stations?

In all seriousness though, I believe you should really do a DCI (Dual Cone Intake) and a Chargepipe and BoV before the JB4. The DCI will allow you to get the full potential of any tune, while the Chargepipe and DVs on the stock car are simply plastic and crap. The chargepipes have a habit of literally blowing up or in the best case, cracking badly under the higher boost from the JB4, and the stock DVs after a certain age, will also have trouble holding the extra boost.

Additionally, oil blow by is a big problem for our cars even without a tune, so an oil catch can is also very highly recommended, as under the extra boost from the JB4, even more oil will be blown through your intercooler and piping, reducing the efficiency of the intercooler and lowering the octane of the mixture reaching the cylinders. You may not care TOO much about this if you are planning a bigger intercooler in the future (that would be the time to also get the catch can).

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with E85 or meth until I was full bolt on (fbo, meaning dci, CP and BoV, downpipes, catback exhaust, fmic and oil catch can) and happy with my pump gas performance, but that is a personal choice, there's nothing stopping you doing the E85 thing on a stock car with the jb4.

One final thing to consider, we are waiting for a new 'complete tuning solution' from a new vendor, scheduled for release at the end of March, which may or may not offer significant tuning/economical advantages compared to JB4 and Cobb, but of course, nobody really knows yet except the beta testers and they are under orders to stay quiet for now. The vendor is MHD Tuning and this is their announcement thread... http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1094393

It's usually the case in the car tuning world that these things get very delayed, but you never know. In any case, use the interim time to get yourself the basic supporting mods.

Last edited by Aashenfox; 02-27-2015 at 02:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 05:29 AM   #10
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
With the JB4 and E85 gas you should get 650 hp to the wheels
No. A little over 1/2 that number is reality.

JB4, as you should be able to smog with it in MAP 0.

Dual cone intake; easy to swap, cheap, so good bang for the buck mod.

FMIC, since it won't impact you emissions wise. Meth injection - again, won't hurt you for emissions testing.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 05:42 AM   #11
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' N54 6SPD E90

your going to get several different answers here but this is the order round about to get to FBO.

1. JB4 (Tune)
2. CP w/OE diverter or BOV (Chargepipe)
3. DCI (Intake)
4. FMIC (Front Mount Intercooler)
5. DP's (Downpipes)
6. Exhaust
7. Oil Catch Can

Of course you can go in almost any order you please, but most people do start with a tune and work from there. It gets extremely hot where I live so I didn't feel comfortable adding DP's before FMIC (would it make a huge difference? FMIC before DP's, probably not but w.e LOL). Everyone's different and lives in different places, so, there's really no bad way to go after you get your tune. Happy modding brother!

Those in blue will get you to FBO "Full Bolt On" status.

Last edited by MORTON; 02-27-2015 at 05:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 05:56 AM   #12
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
+1

Except I'd do the oil catch can at the same time as the FMIC to prevent oil gacking up your nice new kit
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #13
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
+1

Except I'd do the oil catch can at the same time as the FMIC to prevent oil gacking up your nice new kit
Agreed I kind of just threw it in there as I know people who never get them so its widely viewed as optional but I think its at least necessary at some point and like you said best to just grab it with your FMIC. I put it last cause you can get it at almost any stage I guess its what I call a "floater" haha The CP is almost the same way.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #14
Aashenfox
Captain
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORTON View Post
your going to get several different answers here but this is the order round about to get to FBO.

1. JB4 (Tune)
2. CP w/OE diverter or BOV (Chargepipe)
3. DCI (Intake)
4. FMIC (Front Mount Intercooler)
5. DP's (Downpipes)
6. Exhaust
7. Oil Catch Can

Of course you can go in almost any order you please, but most people do start with a tune and work from there. It gets extremely hot where I live so I didn't feel comfortable adding DP's before FMIC (would it make a huge difference? FMIC before DP's, probably not but w.e LOL). Everyone's different and lives in different places, so, there's really no bad way to go after you get your tune. Happy modding brother!

Those in blue will get you to FBO "Full Bolt On" status.
I just feel it doesn't seem sensible to increase boost (JB4) before the OCC and CP w/bov...CP and BoV are the first mods before altering the power of the car, as they can break/fail with even small increases to boost. If you do the OCC last, you will fill all your new parts (FMIC and piping) with oil...Since the DCI is cheap as well, it seems silly not to do that at least at the same time as the JB4 (they can even be bought as a discounted combo).

The order I will be doing after careful consideration and research is...

BMS Oil Catch Can
VSRF CP and Tial BoV
VRSF DCI + Tuning solution together (aFe intake can wait until I see what IATs are like with simple cones)
VRSF decat downpipes
ETS 5" FMIC
Akrapovic CBE (already got)
Oil Cooler if needed (Mediterranean temperatures)

We should also put BMWhat and a cable in this list, diagnostic tools are very important imo.

Last edited by Aashenfox; 02-27-2015 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 07:35 AM   #15
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashenfox View Post
I just feel it doesn't seem sensible to increase boost (JB4) before the OCC and CP w/bov...CP and BoV are the first mods before altering the power of the car, as they can break/fail with even small increases to boost. If you do the OCC last, you will fill all your new parts (FMIC and piping) with oil...Since the DCI is cheap as well, it seems silly not to do that at least at the same time as the JB4 (they can even be bought as a discounted combo).

The order I will be doing after careful consideration and research is...

BMS Oil Catch Can
VSRF CP and Tial BoV
VRSF DCI + Tuning solution together (aFe intake can wait until I see what IATs are like with simple cones)
VRSF decat downpipes
ETS 5" FMIC
Akrapovic CBE (already got)
Oil Cooler if needed (Mediterranean temperatures)

We should also put BMWhat and a cable in this list, diagnostic tools are very important imo.
READ THE RED PART:

Also did you not read any subsequent posts? I love people like you really I do.

And no your "new mods" will not "fill up" with oil... so dramatic..

Also ETS 5" is overpriced for what it is IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 07:40 AM   #16
Aashenfox
Captain
Greece
Rep

I read the red part. It was in red after all. lol.

Yeh, I just don't agree that the order isn't important, nor do I care what 'most' people do if I think I know better No biggie at all, just trying to be as helpful as I can, there's definitely nothing wrong with what you're saying.

I AM pedantic. I know. And I'm sorry.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #17
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashenfox View Post
I read the red part. It was in red after all. lol.

Yeh, I just don't agree that you can do it in any order you please, nor do I care what 'most' people do. No offense, just trying to be as helpful as I can, there's defnitely nothing wrong with what you're saying.

I AM pedantic. I know. And I'm sorry.
I get what you're saying but its a bit dramatic to say your new mods will fill up with oil. Is it best probably to go ahead and get one? yes, as stated in a subsequent post. Please do not take that numbered list completely literal. This is the route that A LOT of people I know have taken and been fine squeezing in the OCC wherever. As far as the CP you're partially right. While its a good idea to get off of barrowed time with your stock its not totally necessary to be a first mod. Also, most people, I should mention, that go JB4 first don't add 100 more mods within a week, this stuff is pricy, with that being said your not increasing boost by that much on a stock engine and JB4..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Hey E90Post, I've started to think about engine upgrades to my car. I have an N54 335i and have been wondering, is a JB4 all I need to have a noticeably fast car? All I have is exhaust so far, I'm looking to have a "sleeper" 335i. Other than a tune, what can I do to my car to make it fast and smog legal? Thanks.
I suggest you start with a tune. Your will be noticeably faster and a lot more fun to drive. It is also a really good idea to grab a charge pipe before your stock one fails due to a combination of high boost and crappy plastic material .

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #19
Karbon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

1) Charge Pipe
2) Charge Pipe
3) Charge Pipe
4) Stage 1 Tune
5) If you want more then a stage 1 tune, pick up a front mount intercooler and down pipes.

Oil catch can is a must if you plan on keeping the car for a while. It really helps eliminate oil build up.

Oh and did I mention Charge Pipe? If you tune your car, your charge pipe WILL eventually blow. It's not a big deal, but it's only a matter of time.

(My OEM charge pipe blew once when I was STOCK and once when I was tuned. Warranty replaced it both times but then I said screw this and got the BMS replacement with no BOV. Metal > Plastic)

Appreciate 0