E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > New 335d owner: about me/car - Questions and concerns

02-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
SwaggyP
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D w/ JBD 75%

New 335d owner: about me/car - Questions and concerns

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Patrick and I own a USA spec, 2011 335d. I purchased this car 6 months ago as a CPO w/ 28K miles. Perfect condition. The car currently has 42K miles. This is not my first BMW. I owned a E38 (01 740iL) which makes me a professional BMW mechanic! On the E38 I replaced the timing rails, timing chain, Vanos rebuild, DSC/ABS module solder repair, water pump and much, much more... That being said I plan on doing many DIY upgrades to this wonderful "3d".

I just installed the JBD unit on my "d" last night and I was honestly disappointed. My expectation was that the throttle response would improve substantially but this was not the case. My feeling is that my throttle response is slow due to CBU buildup and I really, really hope I get the fuel injector CEC before the manufactures warranty expires. I've looked for a step by step DIY guide on how to do the CBU cleaning but I haven't found such yet. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction? I'm sorry if this already exist but I cannot find the step by step DIY to save my life. I found the required tools thread and the DIY for the 335i but nothing for the 335d. I'm ready to do this! My throttle body was replaced on the 3rd day of owning this car due to CBU so I know it needs the cleaning.

I do plan on installing the Bilstein B12 pro suspension kit package:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-22...n-package.aspx

What is everyones thought on this? Does anyone know if it actually does support the additional weight of the diesel engine?

Meth injection is another Item I plan on doing very soon! this is mainly to prevent CBU and the added power is a MAJOR plus!. Again, I haven't found a specified kit for the D and a complete DIY. Maybe I couldn't find these because I wasn't a member yet? I spent a lot of time looking but yielded nothing

Whats everyones opinion on the catch can? I'm not sure if I should do this or not? I'm open for opinions on this topic.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 10:22 PM   #2
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Eibach does not make springs for the 335d, only the 335i. H&R makes a set for the 335d.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #3
command_liner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Garage List
I am working through the CBU cleaning in the thread on that topic. If you check the linked Flickr account you can see lots of photos. I just put down my cleaning tools about 30 minutes ago.

A detailed guide would be about 150 pages long. (I used to write technical manuals, including a few in the 500+ page range.) There are lots of steps to consider if you want to clean the boost hose, EGR, throttle, intake, and ports.

I know what you mean about the details. The guides out there say something like 'remove the intake', but fail to mention the 200 separate actions required to get that done.

So far the hardest problem I have faced is removing the swirl flap actuator motor plug. The rest of it follows pretty well once you start. This is my first BMW wrench work, short of dealing with a 1970 R75/5.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:16 AM   #4
DETSGTSTARSKY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I also own a 2011 335d that had 21k upon purchase one year ago. I just hit 30k a few weeks ago as the vehicle is not our primary car. I guess a lot depends on how long you plan on keeping the car and how much work/money you want to sink into it. I spoke to the owner of a local indy shop that I use. He was a BMW master tech before going out on his own. I asked about doing a dpf delete, egr block, catch can to help with the CBU issues. His opinion is to leave the emissions stuff intact and treat any CBU as another maintanence issue. I guess I don't want to rip stuff out and have smelly diesel exhaust coming out the back like I am driving a school bus. Plus it seems to be an owner needs scan tools to constantly clear SES codes that pop up from doing all this. I asked on this forum how much doing this really costs on the front end vs dealing with possible CBU on the back end and never received an answer. Regarding doing downpipes, removal of the SCR system or any other related mods of course. So my .02 against doing any of this playing devils advocate of course.

I was also looking to do some suspension stuff however and saw that the kit you want is #46-180568 from Turner Motorsport for the Eibach/Bilstein Pro-Kit. This is sold also by ECS Tuning under the same mfg. part number. It is said to fit the car under both websites. ECS Tuning also carries M3 front and rear sway bars, a strut bar kit, rear diff bushings, and a control arm kit that I was also contemplating as well.

I had several services done upon purchase to get the car to a baseline. The brake fluid, coolant, rear diff fluid was done. A battery replacement under warranty with a factory oil service and DEF refill. Also had two NOX sensors replaced and new air filter and wiper blades also under warranty. I will be doing oil services every 5k. I think the thing with these cars is once they are up to operating temp you need to beat on it. If you want to low speed granny drive then it will probably contribute to any CBU issues. Hard to tell how people drive the cars who seem to have the most issues. I do try to treat the vehicle as intended which are full throttle accelerations from on ramps to get to what would be autobahn speeds. Of course limited to what is reasonable with our restrictive speed laws. Also long distance driving at speed and not just a bunch of idling in traffic or trips to the corner store two miles away.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
NC335d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
2006 Nissan Titan SE  [0.00]
2008 MB CLS550  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 SAV  [0.00]
I had installed the Eibach pro-kit previously on my car along with Koni yellows. The springs were said to work for the 335d. However, after doing the spring install, my car was completely slammed and the ride was very uncomfortable. I subsequently swapped them out for the H&R sport springs and the ride height sits a lot better and the ride quality has greatly improved. I had also installed M3 front control arms, E90 front sway bar, M3 upper and rear lower control arms, M3 rear subframe bushings and E93 M3 rear sway bar.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
NC335d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
2006 Nissan Titan SE  [0.00]
2008 MB CLS550  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 SAV  [0.00]
Get lit: Have you installed the Super Sprint exhaust?? Do you mind sharing your thoughts? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:30 PM   #7
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC335d View Post
Get lit: Have you installed the Super Sprint exhaust?? Do you mind sharing your thoughts? Thanks!
Haven't installed the exhaust yet. Been swamped with work! Im hoping I'll get to it in the next few weeks. I have several other parts to install also. Guess I just need to set aside a weekend to get it all done! Lol

FYI for others looking at the eibach springs. I spoke directly to eibach and they confirmed they only make the springs for the 335i. These springs will not support the extra weight on the front of the 335d. H&R makes a set specifically for the 335d.
Appreciate 0