E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Needed coolant after 2260 miles

01-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue 335i

Needed coolant after 2260 miles

So I just got my car back after taking it in for the first oil change after the break in period was over. The SA said everything was fine but the coolant level was a little low and he said they topped it off. I was a little concerned to hear this and so I asked him if everything was ok and if I had a leak or something. He said nothing was wrong but these engines are known to eat a little bit of coolant and oil too.

I've owned a few cars and none of them have actually used enough coolant between oil changes that it was deemed low enough where I needed to add more coolant. Has anybody else been told this or should I be more concerned?

My search didn't really show any results that answered this question. Thanks.
      01-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
mbriggs993
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I had actually been wondering that myself. My car has about 18,000 miles and I am about to add a bit of coolant for the second time. I was going to ask my service advisor about it next time. Maybe it is not uncommon.
335i E90 – Montego Blue - Terra – Steptronic – Premium – Sport – Nav - Active Cruise – Active Steering – Cold Weather – PDC – Comfort Access –Mods– 19” BMW Performance Wheels – Black Lines – Valentine Hardwire – Portable XM – Split Armrest
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
BMWalltheway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440xi GC AW/CR

Strange. My first low coolant light came on at 11K miles. Went to the dealer and they topped it off at no charge. The guy did mention that I can just add tap water the next time I see the low cooland warning. Not sure if I'll do that...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWalltheway View Post
Strange. My first low coolant light came on at 11K miles. Went to the dealer and they topped it off at no charge. The guy did mention that I can just add tap water the next time I see the low cooland warning. Not sure if I'll do that...

I thought it had to be distilled water if you didn't actually have coolant to add.
      01-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
BMWalltheway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I did too but my SA said "Well, then you will have to buy a gallon from a store instead of just using tap water from your home"
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
The service manager at my dealership said they are seeing quite a few 335's "using" coolant with no signs of leaks.

I'm thinking it's the turbos since the center section is partially water cooled.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
markis64
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 Alpine White 330xi

Garage List
3006 e90 330xi  [0.00]
wouldn't adding water cause it to freeze? I know someone that used water as washer fluid and had a big problem once haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Hmm... not a healthy sign that our engines are eating up coolant. The system should be completely closed but there are always some places where the coolant can get into the wrong places and burned up. It's usually not good when that happens though, anybody have some data on where the coolant might be consumed at? This is the first I've heard of t myself...
      01-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
BMWalltheway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yep, my stealership topped off my washer fluid last week. Pulled the stalk for the first time this morning (below zero temps). My headlight washers came on but nothing on the windshield. Got out of the car to check and my headlights had frozen goo on them and I'm pretty sure my wind shield washer line is frozen as well

Now I'm thinking if the washer fluid used by my SA had any anti-freeze in it. Should've checked while he was filling it up.

Last edited by BMWalltheway; 01-24-2008 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Hmm... not a healthy sign that our engines are eating up coolant. The system should be completely closed but there are always some places where the coolant can get into the wrong places and burned up. It's usually not good when that happens though, anybody have some data on where the coolant might be consumed at? This is the first I've heard of t myself...
I don't think anyone has definitive data as to what's going on with it. My gut feeling is it's the turbos burning it. If it was burning in the cylinder it would eventually, smoke, foul a plug or something how obvious it was depends on the amount of course.

I have seen a few Evo turbos that burned oil and coolant for one reason or another (improper break in was often blamed).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Yep, my stealership topped off my washer fluid last week. Pulled the stock for the first time this morning (below zero temps). My headlight washers came on but nothing on the windshield. Got out of the car to check and my headlights had frozen goo on them and I'm pretty sure my wind shield washer line is frozen as well

Now I'm thinking if the washer fluid used by my SA had any anti-freeze in it. Should've checked while he was filling it up.
I believe the dealers use a concentrate that they then mix with water, it's possible that your dealer decided to be cheap and dilute the ratio a little too much. I'm pretty sure Mercedes did this to my new ML550; the tailgate spray gets onto the glass and wipes fine, but all the run off which streamed down the metal portion below the glass was frozen solid that day I used it.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Yep, my stealership topped off my washer fluid last week. Pulled the stock for the first time this morning (below zero temps). My headlight washers came on but nothing on the windshield. Got out of the car to check and my headlights had frozen goo on them and I'm pretty sure my wind shield washer line is frozen as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I believe the dealers use a concentrate that they then mix with water, it's possible that your dealer decided to be cheap and dilute the ratio a little too much. I'm pretty sure Mercedes did this to my new ML550; the tailgate spray gets onto the glass and wipes fine, but all the run off which streamed down the metal portion below the glass was frozen solid that day I used it.
Can we not drag this off-topic like most threads on here?

I swear you must have to have Adult ADHD to own a BMW...Oh, look something shiny...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #13
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by markis64 View Post
wouldn't adding water cause it to freeze? I know someone that used water as washer fluid and had a big problem once haha.
Just adding a little water wont do any harm, since it's gonna get mixed with the existing antifreeze mixture.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep

BTW, you can buy distilled water at most supermarkets.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #15
BMWalltheway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Can we not drag this off-topic like most threads on here?

I swear you must have to have Adult ADHD to own a BMW...Oh, look something shiny...
Where???
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #16
rrosen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, sparkling graphite

Needing coolant

The other possibility (which I've seen in many cars) is there was an air bubble in the system when it was initially filled. Eventually it works its way out and then you're low. If it continues to get low after adding fluid then fluid is leaking somewhere but if it is a one time thing, probably an air bubble and no problem.
      01-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #17
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I'm sorry guys but normally, if the radiator needs a bit of topping up it's no big deal.
If it needs lots of water after very short times - then there's possibly a problem but routine topping up is perfectly normal.

Can I ask you a question? How many can check their oil, radiator water, brake fluid level, power steering fluid, windscreen washer level under the hood and not necessarily from a computer display or getting the dealer to check it outwith a standard service?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #18
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrosen View Post
The other possibility (which I've seen in many cars) is there was an air bubble in the system when it was initially filled. Eventually it works its way out and then you're low. If it continues to get low after adding fluid then fluid is leaking somewhere but if it is a one time thing, probably an air bubble and no problem.
Back when I had my Infiniti, an independent garage changed my coolant and either forgot or didn't realize they had to purge the air from the system, and within the first 2km of driving my temp needle went to the very top because of it (I went straight back and pointed out the release valve). As such I'm not certain if it's really quite possible to drive safely or at all for an extended period with air in the system, unless there's a point when it's too little to impact the engine's operation. I'm no expert in these things by any means but thought I'd put in my two cents.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #19
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I'm sorry guys but normally, if the radiator needs a bit of topping up it's no big deal.
If it needs lots of water after very short times - then there's possibly a problem but routine topping up is perfectly normal.

Can I ask you a question? How many can check their oil, radiator water, brake fluid level, power steering fluid, windscreen washer level under the hood and not necessarily from a computer display or getting the dealer to check it outwith a standard service?
The oil you can't but with the coolant level and a few other fluids, you can check the level because there is a visable containder in the engine bay that should show you where the minimum and maximum level when the engine is cold. Without actually going to my car or referring to the owners manual, I think you should be able to see the coolant, washer fluid, and power steering fluid. I'm guessing you might even be able to see the brake fluid as well.
      01-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #20
rrosen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, sparkling graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars4lyfe View Post
make sure you check your coolant level after your car's reached optimum operating temps because it'll expand. If it's still low then top it off. It's no biggie but I would ask them to check under the car for any leaks in the water pump, etc... just in case
I think that's incorrect. If you open the pressurized cooling system when it is hot, you will find boiling hot coolant spewing out all over you. Don't ask how I know.

Unless the coolant tank you open on the E90 is on the unpressurized side of the cooling system (more like an overflow tank), don't do it.
      01-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #21
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Uh yeah, you definitely don't want to open up the radiator or any pressurized area of the cooling system when the car is hot... you'll most likely get serious burns, if not worse. You can check the overflow tank, but that's all you can check while the system is hot.
      01-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #22
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep

The e90 doesn't have a clear tank like other cars... It has a screw on top that has a dip stick attached to it... On the dip stick it's labeled 'cold' and 'hot'

Definitely do not do this when the engine's hot... You'll will burn yourself big time!!!
Appreciate 0