E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > BMW NA - stepped in and did the right thing

02-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
Smonkey09
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D and 2014 i3

BMW NA - stepped in and did the right thing

Hey everyone. My 2011 335D had CBU issues starting last December. Warranty ended in July, and dealer quoted $1200 to do the work, which seemed way too much to me.

In January I attempted to walnut blast myself using the Bav Autosport kit (don't recommend using their wands, use the BMW wands). Anyway, I did the best I could without taking off the valve cover. Tangential ports were easy to clean, swirl ports were very hard. I used the hot soapy water/pressure washer manifold cleaning method.

When done, I was still getting zero mass adaptation SES light. Idle was terrible. I brought the car in to dealer to re-flash the DDE per the recent SB. Paid about $400. On drive home, car started idling rough again. Threw codes related to smoothness control cylinders 2 and 4.

I started to fear for how expensive this could get to repair. I had just purchased an i3 in July and have really enjoyed that car for city driving. A local shop here in Chicago suggested that I write BMW NA an email letting them know I owed 2 BMWs (including their new i3) and see if they would goodwill repair the 335d. They'll generally only do that once for a customer, but they have been known to do it for issues with the 335d.

I'm happy to say that today I picked up my car from the dealer. They re-performed the walnut blasting, installed a new intake manifold, replaced a thermostat, and in the end replaced injectors for cylinders 2 and 4. BMW NA picked up about $4400 of the cost, with me paying around $1000. The reason I had to pay that much was because it appears that I lost a grommet when I was cleaning the intake manifold that they didn't feel comfortable re-installing the original manifold, so I had to pay for the new manifold (I wasn't going to argue, as I just wanted the car to run right).

So my suggestions to you all. 1) Leave nice reviews for your dealer when your car is serviced, so that they have a reason to step in and help you when you need to reach out to corporate, 2) consider buying new, because BMW NA probably wouldn't have done this if I had not been the original owner, and 3) don't be afraid to send a friendly yet serious email to BMW NA customer service if something is really wrong with your low-mileage car. BMW did the right thing with me, and my next car will be a BMW because of it.

Now I just need to install a meth kit to keep it running clean. Anyone from Chicago area do this?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 11:21 PM   #2
command_liner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smonkey09 View Post
Hey everyone. My 2011 335D had CBU issues starting last December. Warranty ended in July, and dealer quoted $1200 to do the work, which seemed way too much to me.

In January I attempted to walnut blast myself using the Bav Autosport kit (don't recommend using their wands, use the BMW wands). Anyway, I did the best I could without taking off the valve cover. Tangential ports were easy to clean, swirl ports were very hard. I used the hot soapy water/pressure washer manifold cleaning method.

[SNIP]
Having spent the greater part of this evening using the BavAuto kit, I can
confirm it is not super easy to use. I do not have the BMW wands, but
the BavAuto wands appear to be just 3/8" brake line. The unwritten keys to success with the BavAuto kit are to
1) Use an endoscope to figure out where the head starts.
2) Mark the wands with this knowledge.
3) Use a 8x12 blue plastic tarp to cover everything, with just a hole in it for the blasting work.
4) Use the endoscope to figure out when each port is clean enough.

One more thing: pay attention to how the blaster works! It does not have a check valve on the input, so if you disconnect it from your air supply without closing the valves, it becomes a blaster shooting walnut shells out of the input port.http://www.e90post.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats on BMW throwing you a fricken bone.