F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Performance Brake Pedal Travel and Feel
Studio RSR

03-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
tesm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32

M Performance Brake Pedal Travel and Feel

I recently had a dealer installed m performance brake. There is definitely more pedal travel than the original brakes and less grab. Read through the previous posts and found that the coding is necessary after the installation so back at the dealer again. It still feels soft and hard to brake even after the coding.

Not sure if bleeding it once more will help or should I start looking into stainless steel brake lines. Seems like some folks here had a success with it. Any other route I should look into? Don't know if there's a proper bleeding procedure for it as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32d View Post
I recently had a dealer installed m performance brake. There is definitely more pedal travel than the original brakes and less grab. Read through the previous posts and found that the coding is necessary after the installation so back at the dealer again. It still feels soft and hard to brake even after the coding.

Not sure if bleeding it once more will help or should I start looking into stainless steel brake lines. Seems like some folks here had a success with it. Any other route I should look into? Don't know if there's a proper bleeding procedure for it as well.
Give it a couple of hundred mile and break them in.

Last edited by F32Fleet; 03-07-2015 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #3
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Try bleeding it again. We had the M Performance brakes installed and there was no noticeable change in pedal feel. We did have the car reprogrammed but I can't imagine that has any effect on the pedal feel. It's a typical hydraulic brake system and bad pedal feel would only be a function of air in the system (or problems with the master cylinder, which is not changed with the brake retrofit).
      03-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
tesm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is there a proper way to bleed it? I recall we have to put the car into bleed mode to activate abs or something in that nature.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Honestly, I don't know if there's a specific bleed procedure. I've always just bled my brakes with a power bleeder. Never had a problem on any of my other 3ers. On my E36 when I suspected I had air in the ABS module I was able to activate the actuators by jumping a relay. I'd imagine there's a way to do that on the F3x as well, but probably wouldn't be necessary. A regular bleed probably works here.
      03-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #6
tesm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Had the dealer bleed it again. The pedal felt a little better. I'm starting to wonder if it's the pad. I saw a previous post where a gentleman mentioned about m sport version (I have a euro version) euro compound pads bite better. Will see if stainless steel brake line will help.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32d View Post
Had the dealer bleed it again. The pedal felt a little better. I'm starting to wonder if it's the pad. I saw a previous post where a gentleman mentioned about m sport version (I have a euro version) euro compound pads bite better. Will see if stainless steel brake line will help.

I have your pads (M-Sport Line) and braking improved at about 500 miles.

Be forewarned the euro pads from the M-Sport Brake Kit will dust like no tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
tesm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Initially the car came with regular brake and I agreed that after 500 miles it bites good.

Does that mean I can use the m sport brake euro pads with my m performance brake? I don't mind the dust.
Appreciate 0