E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How to keep recirculation setting permanently.

01-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prado 150, CT200h

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
How to keep recirculation setting permanently.

My e90 climate control does not retain the "recirculating" setting after the engine has been switched off for more than 15 minutes.

I wish I could keep the recirculation setting permanently on just like every other japanese cars I have owned before, Does anyone know if that is possible?

I heard about lack of oxygen etc. But I never seem to have that kind of problem previously. I do open up the window from time to time. The reason tfor me to keep the recirculation setting is because the car lets the smelly air into the cabin when you got truck or old car infront and the "A(auto)' setting doesnt help either. It has been like this since new.
320d (E90) Sparkling Graphite, Bi-Xenon, Rear PDC, 17 Alloy 158(athome) 157 (On the car), Climate comfort Wscreen, Sport Steer, Electric Rear Blind, Mirror Package, Lemon interior with poplar trim, Comfort access, Partial Electric Seats, Through Loading and Adjustable Arm Rest
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 01:09 AM   #2
stefman
.::fel8me::.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Black Sapphire Coral Red

Bring it to the dealer, just took delivery of my car yesterday and haven't had that problem.

Worth the wait
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 04:24 AM   #3
mikengo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed-320d View Post
My e90 climate control does not retain the "recirculating" setting after the engine has been switched off for more than 15 minutes.

I wish I could keep the recirculation setting permanently on just like every other japanese cars I have owned before, Does anyone know if that is possible?

I heard about lack of oxygen etc. But I never seem to have that kind of problem previously. I do open up the window from time to time. The reason tfor me to keep the recirculation setting is because the car lets the smelly air into the cabin when you got truck or old car infront and the "A(auto)' setting doesnt help either. It has been like this since new.
I have the same problem. Unfortunately the sticky settings to close the vent is not possible, according to my SA. However, if you set to auto fan with auto circulation, you are able to make it sticky.

Once you're using auto circulation, you may be getting bad odor in the cabin. What I did was to change the filter to Active Carbon Filter which makes ALOT of difference. I don't have to issue with the sticky settings and neither the bad odor coming into the cabin.
      01-25-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

what's the part number for Active Carbon Filter ? pix?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Recirculating air permanently is bad for you, you will be inhaling same shit that you've been exhaling. How had is it to press the button when you smell something funny.
      01-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
Recirculating air permanently is bad for you, you will be inhaling same shit that you've been exhaling. How had is it to press the button when you smell something funny.
There's a setting to have the recirc feature kick in automatically when it senses pollutants. On the climate control to the left of the passenger temp control there is a button with two LED's. When both are off outside air is conditioned. When the right LED is on it's in recirc mode. When the left button is on it's the auto detect mode. You can also control this from the steering wheel.

Thanks, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
There's a setting to have the recirc feature kick in automatically when it senses pollutants. On the climate control to the left of the passenger temp control there is a button with two LED's. When both are off outside air is conditioned. When the right LED is on it's in recirc mode. When the left button is on it's the auto detect mode. You can also control this from the steering wheel.

Thanks, Mike.
Well yeah, we know that, he says the automatic setting isn't clever enough to react to funny smells. I am sure it's looking for something more chemically specific.
      01-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

I think he means just the opposite...!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Warning: geeky

There's definitely some weird programming with the Recirc feature. There seem to be four modes: Auto, Recirc On (Auto), Recirc On (Manual), and Recirc Off (Manual).

With Auto, the system chooses when to turn Recirc on or off, based on some sensor (which unfortunately seems to work nothing like the human nose). With Recirc On (Auto), pushing the Recirc button causes it to toggle back to Auto. With Recirc On (Manual), pushing the Recirc button causes it to toggle back to Recirc Off (Manual).

The weird thing is that, if you have it on Recirc On (Auto) when you shut the engine off, when you start it back up again, I think it will actually reset to Recirc Off (Manual), which I totally don't get. I know the sensor isn't great, but I'd rather have it on then off. Also, this means, the steering wheel button won't get you back to Auto no matter how many times you push it, you have to push the button on the center stack. If it's going to insist on reseting when you shut the engine off (the OP's legitimate complaint), it should at least default to Auto!

Also, I think you'd have to breath recircled air for quite a long time before it causes any problems.

-Dan

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Warning: geeky

There's definitely some weird programming with the Recirc feature. There seem to be four modes: Auto, Recirc On (Auto), Recirc On (Manual), and Recirc Off (Manual).

With Auto, the system chooses when to turn Recirc on or off, based on some sensor (which unfortunately seems to work nothing like the human nose). With Recirc On (Auto), pushing the Recirc button causes it to toggle back to Auto. With Recirc On (Manual), pushing the Recirc button causes it to toggle back to Recirc Off (Manual).

The weird thing is that, if you have it on Recirc On (Auto) when you shut the engine off, when you start it back up again, I think it will actually reset to Recirc Off (Manual), which I totally don't get. I know the sensor isn't great, but I'd rather have it on then off. Also, this means, the steering wheel button won't get you back to Auto no matter how many times you push it, you have to push the button on the center stack. If it's going to insist on reseting when you shut the engine off (the OP's legitimate complaint), it should at least default to Auto!

Also, I think you'd have to breath recircled air for quite a long time before it causes any problems.

-Dan
On my car (2008 e90) if I set it for recirc auto (A), it stays in this mode if I shut the car off.

Thanks, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
On my car (2008 e90) if I set it for recirc auto (A), it stays in this mode if I shut the car off.

Thanks, Mike.
Hi Mike,

If you leave it in Auto, yes, it will remain in Auto when you restart the car. I was trying to say (very long-windedly I admit) that if you have the Recirc set to "On", it will be "Off" when you restart the car. I would prefer that, if it's going to change anything, it would reset it to "Auto".

-Dan

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #12
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Hi Mike,

If you leave it in Auto, yes, it will remain in Auto when you restart the car. I was trying to say (very long-windedly I admit) that if you have the Recirc set to "On", it will be "Off" when you restart the car. I would prefer that, if it's going to change anything, it would reset it to "Auto".

-Dan
Thanks. I understand now. I didn't read your other post carefully enough.

Best, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #13
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Don't your windows get fogged up? I always see people driving Hondas and Toyotas all fogged up and KNOW that they have their setting set to "recirculate" and that stale, moist, rebreathed air is just fogging their car up.
      01-26-2008, 05:53 AM   #14
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Don't your windows get fogged up? I always see people driving Hondas and Toyotas all fogged up and KNOW that they have their setting set to "recirculate" and that stale, moist, rebreathed air is just fogging their car up.
I wont get fogged up if I set the air-conditioning on. I live on hot climate, which means my air conditioning will be permanently turned on.
320d (E90) Sparkling Graphite, Bi-Xenon, Rear PDC, 17 Alloy 158(athome) 157 (On the car), Climate comfort Wscreen, Sport Steer, Electric Rear Blind, Mirror Package, Lemon interior with poplar trim, Comfort access, Partial Electric Seats, Through Loading and Adjustable Arm Rest
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #15
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
Well, mostly I do short trip. For 20-30 minutes ride I doubt that the air I exhaled during that time could fill up the cabin. Secondly, the place where I live got lots of trucks and old cars, whenever the smell got into the cabin, I felt that it would kill me slowly. So everytime when I start the car I have to press the recirculating button on and Okay the map before I can drive it off, is annoying. I could drive off my Toyota echo without having to do both.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #16
mikengo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3r View Post
what's the part number for Active Carbon Filter ? pix?
I don't have the part# but your SA should be able to provide the details. After the Active Carbon was place, he said the he needed to reprogram the system, which in comparison is very sensitive on the auto closer of the vent. I don't smell anything unless if I'm trailing a diesel truck.
      01-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #17
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikengo View Post
I don't have the part# but your SA should be able to provide the details. After the Active Carbon was place, he said the he needed to reprogram the system, which in comparison is very sensitive on the auto closer of the vent. I don't smell anything unless if I'm trailing a diesel truck.
Thanks, Active carbon filter is the way to go.
Appreciate 0