E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Insight? 335d issues

03-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Insight? 335d issues

My 2011 335d stuttered and shut down when started up. It has been running fine with no issues what so ever! 52000 on the clock. Go figure warranty just ran out. When restarted idle was all over the place and engine would not turn rpms past 1200. Checked codes and found code P0192 (fuel rail pressure sensor circuit low input). Erased codes and restarted, immediately P0192 code showed up again. I am going to replace the faulty sensor this afternoon. Has anyone else had this issue before? I did some Google searches and searched here on the forum and did not find to much out about this other than the basic info on it.

On another note... My JBD has been on my car for the past 5 months with no issues. I did remove it last night and I noticed some water had gotten inside of it. Took it apart and the circuit board was covered in moisture. I am thinking that could cause an issue also related to the sensor failing maybe? I know it plugs into the pressure valve, but could it be related? Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

subscribing, very interested if the sensor will fix the problem. I also have JBD and it is maxed out to 100% and no errors what so ever despite many said that 60% is best and highest setting that will not cause any problem. I noticed once after the car wash (more engine bay wash) that I have some water collected in the JBD box. Will keep a good eye on it as I have the feeling the seal is not doing a good job keeping the water away.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068913
above thread was where blowinsmoke was sorting through fuel system issue and at one point, considered changing a sensor. Toward end of thread, he installed a used HPFP and it finally fixed his problem. I am in no way saying you have the same problem as him. This is merely offered as a starting point.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
subscribing, very interested if the sensor will fix the problem. I also have JBD and it is maxed out to 100% and no errors what so ever despite many said that 60% is best and highest setting that will not cause any problem. I noticed once after the car wash (more engine bay wash) that I have some water collected in the JBD box. Will keep a good eye on it as I have the feeling the seal is not doing a good job keeping the water away.
Yea the JBD is not waterproof at all.. I've been running mine at 100% with no issues until now! Just picked up the new sensor and the pressure valve sensor. 600 bucks for both! Gonna head back to my shop and hope it cures the problem. If not then I'll move on the the fuel pressure, pumps.....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

I sure hope you tried again with the JBD removed, correct? Still get the code?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
JBD is not going back on the car! Lol I'm on the way to my shop now to install the new sensor. I'll let all know of the results!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get lit View Post
Yea the JBD is not waterproof at all.. I've been running mine at 100% with no issues until now! Just picked up the new sensor and the pressure valve sensor. 600 bucks for both! Gonna head back to my shop and hope it cures the problem. If not then I'll move on the the fuel pressure, pumps.....
well it should be since it is under the hood, but I have learned my lesson At the moment where it is it is always dry, no water should get there in order to be also able to penetrate into the jbd box as well, but for sure when washing my engine bay I do wrap it with the zip log bag and keep it inside till I am done washing that seams to help a lot. For safety I do open the box and make sure there is no water So far so good
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #8
335dwanted
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
I am with Iaknown, hope you pulled the JBD and looked for the codes. My understanding is that the JBD monkeys with the output of the Rail Pressure sensor so water in the JBD almost has to be the cause.

I googled the error code and found an interesting description of how that sensor works, it is attached below.

I also found a situation where a guy in the UK with an X5 35d washed his engine and a poor connector on his Expresschip let in water and "blew" his rail pressure sensor. https://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/vie...&f=24&t=162772

My guess is that this particular code points to a failed sensor more so than an inappropriate rail pressure, but that is just a guess.

I am curious which two sensors you are replacing; I understand the fuel rail pressure sensor, but which other one are you replacing?

http://www.datsc.com/tabid/122/OBD-E...W/Default.aspx
Generic OBD Error Code Details for P0192
Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Low
What does this mean?
OBD Code P0192refers to
The Fuel Rail Pressure (FRP) sensor is a diaphragm strain gauge device in which resistance changes with pressure. The electrical resistance of a strain gauge increases as pressure increases, and the resistance decreases as the pressure decreases. The varying resistance affects the voltage drop across the sensor terminals and provides electrical signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) corresponding to pressure. Strain gauge type sensors are consider passive sensors. A passive sensor is connected to a voltage divider network so that varying the resistance of the passive sensor causes a variation in total current flow. Voltage that is dropped across a fixed resistor in series with the sensor resistor determines the voltage signal at the PCM. This voltage signal is equal to the reference voltage minus the voltage drop across the fixed resistor. The FRP sensor measures the pressure of the fuel near the fuel injectors. This signal is used by the PCM to adjust the fuel injector pulse width and meter fuel to each combustion cylinder.
Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0192
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Engine will not start
Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0192
- Excessive resistance in the circuit - Low or no fuel - Wiring harness connector of the fuel pressure sensor - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor - Fuel Pump
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
iaknown
Banned
Rep

... Yup, that's what I was getting at, I never mentioned putting the JBD back on the car. JBD intercepts the fuel rail pressure signal. So I sure hope you tried running the car without it before you go throwing parts at it...

Last edited by iaknown; 03-03-2015 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

I assume you plugged the sensor back in after you removed the JBD from the separate connections? Was the car asleep when you removed the JBD? I cant help but think you either didnt get the sensor fully connected or the car was still on/awake when you pulled the JBD.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 06:19 PM   #11
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
JBD was the issue!! The shit casing is not waterproof or water resistant! Installed new pressure sensor and engine purrs like a wild cat!! So in my conclusion... The JBD got water/moisture in it which cause a short and fried the pressure sensor! So JBD is not going back on the car! Thanks to everyone who post on here!!
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm home now so figured I'd do a complete write up of the entire issue. So the weather here has been nothing but rain and more rain. Yesterday was nice so I washed my car and then went out to run errands. I did not wash the engine bay if anyone is wondering. On the way home I got an ses light, so I pulled in to my shop to check it out. Shut the car down and went inside my house and then back to the shop. I went to start my car to move it closer to my workbench area and it fired up and immediately died. Did a restart and got it to stay running for a sec or so and it was rough idle and would not turn up rpms. So I plugged in and checked codes. Got the p0192, fuel rail pressure sensor circuit low input. Put car to sleep and then pulled the jbd off and then rechecked the codes. Still showed p0192. Cleared codes and tried to start engine. Still running like smashed ass. Recheck codes again and my new friend is still hanging out, p0192. I decided to open the jbd since I notice water seeping from the casing. It was covered in Moisture on the circuit board. I figure it was possible that the jbd shorted out and fried the pressure sensor. So I went to bmw today and picked up a new pressure sensor and a pressure valve just in case there was an issue with it also. I came back to my shop and changed out the pressure sensor. Cleared codes, cranked car up and she is running perfect. No ses light or codes. Went for a test drive and car performed flawlessly. The jbd is going in the trash......
Appreciate 2