E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2006 330xi Manual Trans Oil (Model-Specific)

03-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

2006 330xi Manual Trans Oil (Model-Specific)

Just wanted to get this info up because I ran into the model unique issue and haven't gotten too many definite answers - maybe it will help someone later.

I'm at about 190k miles, and replacing most of my fluids/oils again. Per Redline (wasn't able to get anything recent directly from BMW), there is a specific exception for the '06 330xi 6MT - D6ATF is suggested (https://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=13). However, based on existing knowledge from BMW, high mileage, etc., my mechanic suggested Manual Fluid.

When I first drove the car, it sat for a bit and warmed up so I didn't notice anything. However, on a few later cold starts, the gear shifting was a little notchy (especially into second), slow to engage, and generally indicative of overly viscous fluid - per my same mechanic.

Has anyone done this change and experienced the same for an 06 6MT - or know why it's a specific issue to the model? I asked Redline and they only had this to say:

"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your 330xi manual transmission the D6ATF would be recommended. The MTF-LT-3 is specified in applications with the N52 and N54 engine and the basis for our recommendation. The MTF-LT-3 is a low viscosity at operating temperature ATF.

Some are using MTL in these late model transmissions with good results, a little higher viscosity than the original fluid so could be stiffer shifting at lower temperatures with synchros designed for an ATF [which might explain the issue]."

Will report back after the ATF is in and update if it's resolved.

Appreciate 0