ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

03-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
MSPM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Spring Weather - Time to Purchase Wash Accessories

Hey guys,

Started a thread a while back on at home car washing...touch free of course. Have since found a few products I am thinking about going with. Please leave me any feedback/comments !

Power Washer:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sun-Joe-P...1&str_nbr=2806

Exterior Wash Kit from Chemical Guys:
http://www.chemicalguys.com/MTM_Cann..._p/eqp_304.htm

Debating on these:
1. http://www.autogeek.net/dp-turbo-car-dryer.html
2. http://www.autogeek.net/metro-sideki...al-series.html

I have already purchased SONAX FULL AFFECT wheel cleaner (anyone used this on there new F80 wheels????), along with a brush, chemical guys glass cleaner and micro fiber towels.

What else do I need?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPM4 View Post
Hey guys,

Started a thread a while back on at home car washing...touch free of course. Have since found a few products I am thinking about going with. Please leave me any feedback/comments !

Power Washer:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sun-Joe-P...1&str_nbr=2806

Exterior Wash Kit from Chemical Guys:
http://www.chemicalguys.com/MTM_Cann..._p/eqp_304.htm

Debating on these:
1. http://www.autogeek.net/dp-turbo-car-dryer.html
2. http://www.autogeek.net/metro-sideki...al-series.html

I have already purchased SONAX FULL AFFECT wheel cleaner (anyone used this on there new F80 wheels????), along with a brush, chemical guys glass cleaner and micro fiber towels.

What else do I need?
Pressure washer seems fine. IMO, any of those electric powered pressure washers in that price range will do a pretty good job for a few years, and might go caput.

Unless you're pretty set on the Chemical Guys soap, which I'm sure is a fine soap, you might be better off buying the foam cannon separately. They're around $60 or so on Amazon. Then try different types of soap in smaller quantities. That's a LOT of soap, and it's very concentrated. I myself also put a little bit, maybe 0.5oz, of optimum no-rinse, into the foam cannon, just for a little extra lube.

I'd pass on those air blaster type devices. In my experience, they just don't work; they don't move enough air. I'd suggest a gas blower, as in the kind the gardner uses. They're pretty powerful.

I like the idea of the touchless wash. I do that for my car as well, but only if it's not super dirty. It just doesn't get as clean as a 2-bucket method, or a 'Gary Dean' type of thing, if the car is dirty. Also, I don't know how hard the water is in your area, but you might look into a de-ionizer. I have a CRS Spotless, and it works pretty good. You don't have to worry about getting the car bone dry, because the water will just evaporate without any etching or residue.

As for the wheels, I like Sonax, and the 1Z stuff too. I'd definitely recommend getting the set of Wheel Woolies. They're expensive, but they're the right tool for the job. I've got a bunch of other brushes, and I don't use them anymore. The woolies do a great job.

I don't think you'll need a separate glass cleaner if your car is pretty new. The soap and maybe a little APC will do just fine. I'm trying some G-Techniq as a glass coating this time around; seems fine so far.

Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Not sure what else you have but you're missing this

2 buckets with at least 1 grit guard

wash mit

way to aggitate the sonax, ideally wheels whoolies

microfibers

I uses Meguiars glass cleaner concentrate. not expensive, tint safe, smells pretty good

quick detailer

wax or sealant

edit.
forgot to mention you will likely have issues hooking up the PW to the cannon. It took me months and around $50 to get my blue clean PW working with my canon. The adapters just arent there, I may go with karcher next time since it seems most PW's come with appropriate adapters.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
playinJ30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 - Black/Black 6MT

pro tip:

buy your microfiber at microfibertech.com

This is the cheapest place to get GREAT microfiber. A lot of the big auto detailing sites just re-sell and re-brand their products.

For the best quality you should buy the Korean microfiber towels. You will not believe how soft they are, it's unbelievable.

Be sure to buy a korean waffle weave towel for drying, they are the best way to dry if you do it with a towel.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
playinJ30
Private
United_States
Rep

also,

I personally use:

CG Mr. Pink for regular wash to preserve protection
CG Citrus Wash for decontaminate before clay bar
Menzerna Polishes
Sheep Skin Mitt
2 bucket method with 1 grit guard
Poorboy's Spray & Wipe QD
CG VRP Super Shine for the tires
Aerospace 303 for vinyl, leather, rubber protection

Last edited by playinJ30; 03-12-2015 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #6
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playinJ30 View Post
also,

I personally use:

CG Mr. Pink for regular wash to preserve protection
CG Citrus Wash for decontaminate before clay bar
Menzerna Polishes
Sheep Skin Mitt
2 bucket method with 1 bucket
Poorboy's Spray & Wipe QD
CG VRP Super Shine for the tires
Aerospace 303 for vinyl, leather, rubber protection
Are you a professional detailer?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #7
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Can you explain the 2 bucket method with 1 bucket?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
playinJ30
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Are you a professional detailer?
no, but I used to do side jobs detailing and also won some awards in car shows with a black car. I have fairly extensive detailing experience but I'm not a full blown professional by any means. I've also invested a lot of time doing research.

The only thing I'm not really fully uploaded on the new nano coatings like CQuartz, 22ple or Opticoat.

I will be posting up detailed information in the next week or so about my new car process on a black sapphire M3. I picked it up last friday, will be having Xpel Ultimate put on the car on Saturday and then putting 22ple coating on top of that on Sunday. Hopefully it is informative and a good guideline for people.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
playinJ30
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
Can you explain the 2 bucket method with 1 bucket?
ha! that was a complete typo... I meant the 2 bucket method with 1 grit guard.

There is no 2 bucket method with 1 bucket.

The 2 bucket method is pretty simple, you have a soap bucket and a rinse bucket. The rinse bucket should have the grit guard if you only have 1 grit guard. You simply rinse your mitt in the rinse bucket and agitate it with the grit guard to make sure it is completely clean of grit.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #10
MSPM4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Awesome feedback guys, thank you all !

As far as the power washer goes, it seems that the hook up is similar to a gas powered washer.

I have researched the 2 bucket method and have been debating it, however I kind of want to stay away from it in the fear of swrilling. I have the sapphire metallic color. Anyone else notice any issues ?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #11
MSPM4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Anyone have a electric washer that they like ? I live in a condo complex and my neighbors wouldn't be to happy with the sounds coming from a gas washer.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no, but I used to do side jobs detailing and also won some awards in car shows with a black car. I have fairly extensive detailing experience but I'm not a full blown professional by any means. I've also invested a lot of time doing research.

The only thing I'm not really fully uploaded on the new nano coatings like CQuartz, 22ple or Opticoat.

I will be posting up detailed information in the next week or so about my new car process on a black sapphire M3. I picked it up last friday, will be having Xpel Ultimate put on the car on Saturday and then putting 22ple coating on top of that on Sunday. Hopefully it is informative and a good guideline for people.
Cool Will check out how you do things. I recently did a full new car detail on mine, and will be putting SunTek on it in the next couple of weeks. I wanted Xpel, but couldn't find an installer I liked in my area that did Xpel. I used Opt. GlossCoat for the car; figured I'd give it a try. Next go around might try CQ; I like CarPro products. I'm planning to GlossCoat over the clear bra once it's on. Let us know if you do anything special to cure it (heat it, amount of time, etc).

Now that there's no more OptiCoat2.0 what do you do for the wheels?

Quote:
ha! that was a complete typo... I meant the 2 bucket method with 1 grit guard.

There is no 2 bucket method with 1 bucket.
LOL, I was waiting for the secret 2 bucket method with 1 bucket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPM4 View Post
Awesome feedback guys, thank you all !

As far as the power washer goes, it seems that the hook up is similar to a gas powered washer.

I have researched the 2 bucket method and have been debating it, however I kind of want to stay away from it in the fear of swrilling. I have the sapphire metallic color. Anyone else notice any issues ?
I think pressurewashersdirect has a bunch of different quick connects. I believe Kranzle pressure washers have the best compatibility. I've actually been using a Simpson electric pressure washer from Costco. I stumbled upon it while I was there, and it fit the quick connect on the MTM Foam Cannon, so I figured, why not? It's actually decent, but I had low expectations.

Black Sapphire Metallic = new part time job Well, only if you want it looking it's best. If you never let the car get super dirty, I think the touchless method works well. But I've found that if you use the foam cannon, and then use the 2-bucket method, there is minimal, if any, micro-marring. I'm sure on black paint you will notice some 'love marks' if you examine it closely enough. But you could get that from just looking at it wrong. I've concluded the 2-bucket method is pretty safe.

Living in a condo, there is no way you could do a gas pressure washer, unless you hate your neighbors (or want them to hate you). That thing is SO loud. Honestly, if I lived in a condo, I'd probably do a rinseless wash in place of the touchless wash. Just use good quality microfiber towels, and use some form of the Gary Dean method, and call it a day. Getting all the touchless wash gear out, hooking it up, etc, actually takes way longer than the wash itself. I'm in Cali, and we have a bit of a drought, so I've replaced some of my touchless washes with Opt. No Rinse. One bucket, bunch of towels, can do it in my garage, and it's actually faster; haven't noticed any micro-marring. Again, if the car's on the more dirty side, it doesn't work as well, but I actually like the rinseless wash.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2015, 02:27 AM   #13
nikolaos33
First M Car
Rep
Drives: M4

also add

chemical guys black light
chemical guys V7 quick detailer or menzerna quick detailer
menzerna sealant or chemical guys jetseal

i tend to like the menzerna products better but i use chemical guys a lot as well
Appreciate 0