E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Vacuum leak noise 2007 335d

03-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
richard_tricky
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335d

Vacuum leak noise 2007 335d

Hi guys ive been having a few issues with my car regarding general drivability and the feeling somethings not right with my car.

Whilst looking round the engine bay, i was looking at the turbo actuator rod. I know after you switch off the car after 10 second this rod moves (im assuming the system is depressurising ) which is normal. parts number 12, 13 , 14 below

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=11&fg=50

seen it on many 335d's however what i am hearing is a slow sucking sound as if theres a small leak in the vacuum system.. this seems to go on for a long time after the engine is switched off, and after the rod moves, about a minute or so

Im thinking i have a vacuum leak somewhere, not enough to cause a code but enough to cause a slow change over from small to big turbo hence the weird feeling somethings wrong.

a few weeks ago i had one of the pressure convertors replaced under warranty,and before that all the hoses im thinking they have disturbed something and its now let go and causing my issues,

Can somebody go out and check their car for me? basically after you shut off the engine, the rod should move after 10 seconds or so. but i dont think i should be hearing a vacuum buzzing noise after that.

would appreciate anyone that can help

Rich
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_tricky
Hi guys ive been having a few issues with my car regarding general drivability and the feeling somethings not right with my car.

Whilst looking round the engine bay, i was looking at the turbo actuator rod. I know after you switch off the car after 10 second this rod moves (im assuming the system is depressurising ) which is normal. parts number 12, 13 , 14 below

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=11&fg=50

seen it on many 335d's however what i am hearing is a slow sucking sound as if theres a small leak in the vacuum system.. this seems to go on for a long time after the engine is switched off, and after the rod moves, about a minute or so

Im thinking i have a vacuum leak somewhere, not enough to cause a code but enough to cause a slow change over from small to big turbo hence the weird feeling somethings wrong.

a few weeks ago i had one of the pressure convertors replaced under warranty,and before that all the hoses im thinking they have disturbed something and its now let go and causing my issues,

Can somebody go out and check their car for me? basically after you shut off the engine, the rod should move after 10 seconds or so. but i dont think i should be hearing a vacuum buzzing noise after that.

would appreciate anyone that can help

Rich
The rod shouldn't move for about a minute and then the actuator arm moves all of they on one action. It does make a slow pulsing noise before this too
      03-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
richard_tricky
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

so the fact is happening so soon after engine shut off suggest i have a leak somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
richard_tricky
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

hi guys sorry to bump this thread but is there anybody that can pop out and have a listen for me to hear what happens after the engine is turned off and the actuator rod moves.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:35 AM   #5
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
hi guys sorry to bump this thread but is there anybody that can pop out and have a listen for me to hear what happens after the engine is turned off and the actuator rod moves.
Sounds like the diaphragms got a small hole in the actual solenoid part. It should hold it for around a minute before it moves and a mechanical slow pulsing can be heard followed by a long pulse as the solenoid finally lets go
      03-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
richard_tricky
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

hiya all, managed to sort it, i found a very small split in the red vacuum hose right as it goes into the front actuator at the front of the engine

cut it off and re plumbed and alls good!

also the vacuum noise i was hearing has all gone, silent.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
hiya all, managed to sort it, i found a very small split in the red vacuum hose right as it goes into the front actuator at the front of the engine

cut it off and re plumbed and alls good!

also the vacuum noise i was hearing has all gone, silent.
Good news
      03-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #8
richard_tricky
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Yup. Had it booked into bmw as a warranty job. Ah well cheers for the pointers
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yup. Had it booked into bmw as a warranty job. Ah well cheers for the pointers
Well it was a split leaking vacuum on that solenoid. Just leaking at the pipe and not the actual diaphragm. Lucky you