E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Methanol on the cheap?

03-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
command_liner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Garage List
Methanol on the cheap?

As I struggle through the CBU and whatever other problems my car has, I keep coming back to the idea of using a methanol system to clean the intake. Is there a cheap way to do it? Perhaps.

The various commercial system are expensive, like $1000 by the time you get it all in place. Is that needed for cleaning? My guess is no. My idea is to use a cheap simple system for cleaning. Power and mobility are not all that important at this point.

So I am thinking of using the NOS fan nozzle and nozzle mount.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/no...3nos/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/no...3nos/overview/
Put these in the boost pipe before the throttle/EGR assembly. Stake
the nut so it cannot come off. Use a 90 degree elbow to indicate the
fan direction.

For methanol injection, use a new 20lb Manchester propane tank. Remove the propane fill valve and add 2 gallons of -20 washer fluid.
Invert the tank and use a T fitting. One side goes to the compressed air line, the other to the meth fitting in intake line. Buying all brand new parts this is around $100.

Am I missing anything? Yes, a few valves would make things easier. Other than that?

How much meth can I run through the car if I just use a 3000 RPM idle?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
335dwanted
Private First Class
Rep

I think you are overestimating cost of Meth Injection a bit. Amazon has fairly complete AES kits for $390, you might want to add a filter and or solenoid which will cost you some more. This is for a stage 2 variable system including Controller, Pump, Nozzles and tubing. You can use the included kit tank or just tap off existing Windshield Wiper Fluid tank.

If you are set on doing the manual method you describe I would be concerned about the NOS nozzle; NOS is a gas and I don't think that nozzle will provide the best atomization of a liquid like you want. I don't think a Meth nozzle is that much more $ so I would look at those instead.

If the engine will run with the cold air boost pipe removed and get to 3K RPM I would do that and not put a hole in the boost pipe; just spray into the throttle body opening with the boost pipe removed. If that would work you can probably cobble together a cheap but effective mister that you can just hold in place, perhaps like a garden mister.

However, I am dubious of the whole manual method. My wild a$$ guess is that you really need a number of gallons of water/meth to see material improvement and I think it could take a half hour or more of manual spraying to get a gallon through the engine, but what do I know?? I do agree that it should be pretty safe as you would have to do something remarkably stupid to hydro lock the engine.

You are quite industrious so I can't wait to see what you do. I hope everything is back together from your DIY walnut spray, I don't think I caught the end of that episode.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
demon
Fukowee Warrior
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport blk on blk

Here ya go - pick your poison...
Most manufacturers sell different kits just pick one you would be comfortable with.

https://www.coolingmist.com/pagedisp...ure_Key=diesel
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 11:12 PM   #4
command_liner
Private
Rep

Garage List
The NOS company has a bunch of different nozzles for different applications. The one I specified is a brass fan nozzle, which can be used for fuel or NO2. It would be possible to use NOS stainless fogger nozzles for this application, but those require pressurized fuel and pressurized gas to operate. Too complex.

Use of a small NOS nozzle will prevent hydrolock. It simply is not possible to pump too much fluid through that nozzle to cause hydrolock.

Using a steel propane tank as a pressure vessel is cheap and effective. Safe too. If required, I could run a -2 AN line from a tank sitting in the passenger seat to a fitting under the hood. Drive around and burn off methanol.

Right now the car is parked... but that goes in the other thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
command_liner
Private
Rep

Garage List
I picked up those nozzles and am going ahead with my methanol-on-the-cheap.

The nozzle is NOS 13503NOS
The mount is NOS 17283NOS
The fluid will be washer fluid, and I probably should run a filter of some sort.
perhaps the NOS 741-15550.

I still need an elbow, hose and valve. For the tank I will use a propane tank.
Pressurize with air via a schrader valve. Like a Freon tank, flip upside down
while in use.

Discharge will be directly at the air stream for maximum vaporization.
Appreciate 0