F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Test drive today
GetBMWParts

03-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Test drive today

Finally found some time to have a test drive of a 330d today. I've been considering one for a while, and decided on a 330d xDrive Msport. They've identified a couple of cars that are built and either in the country or on the way that fit my spec requirements. List is about £43k.

Now for the negotiation. Read a lot on here about good discounts, but not sure what level I should be looking for. I'll be buying the car (no finance) and trading in my wife's A Class (once I've told her).

Any help appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
Finally found some time to have a test drive of a 330d today. I've been considering one for a while, and decided on a 330d xDrive Msport. They've identified a couple of cars that are built and either in the country or on the way that fit my spec requirements. List is about £43k.

Now for the negotiation. Read a lot on here about good discounts, but not sure what level I should be looking for. I'll be buying the car (no finance) and trading in my wife's A Class (once I've told her).

Any help appreciated.
First thing to do to get the best deal is buy it on finance as you will get the dealer contribution plus any discount which can be up to 20%.

After a month just ring BMW and pay the finance off

Did you test drive an XDrive or an SDrive 330d?

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

See link below.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1102991

Then they are the two usual suspects for discount, TRL and RiazC.

Before you jump for pre built etc, check out discount on new built to your own spec.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
First thing to do to get the best deal is buy it on finance as you will get the dealer contribution plus any discount which can be up to 20%.

Did you test drive an XDrive or an SDrive 330d?
Will explore that tomorrow. Seems odd though.
Was an sDrive. the demo xDrive they had was a 335d, and I'm determined to convince myself that I don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
See link below.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1102991

Then they are the two usual suspects for discount, TRL and RiazC.

Before you jump for pre built etc, check out discount on new built to your own spec.
Ok, will do. Had thought that a stock car would be more attractive. And I'm not the most patient, so not great at waiting for a factory order!

Also have a trade-in to consider so not sure how that would work with a long distance deal.

I'm never sure whether the deals people post on here, or those on coast 2 coast or broadspeed are for cash or finance, and only apply if no trade-in.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Will explore that tomorrow. Seems odd though.
Was an sDrive. the demo xDrive they had was a 335d, and I'm determined to convince myself that I don't need one!

Ok, will do. Had thought that a stock car would be more attractive. And I'm not the most patient, so not great at waiting for a factory order :roll eyes:

Also have a trade-in to consider so not sure how that would work with a long distance deal.

I'm never sure whether the deals people post on here, or those on coast 2 coast or broadspeed are for cash or finance, and only apply if no trade-in.
I'd suggest you drive an xDrive and make sure your happy with the softer suspension as the drive of x and s drives are different.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
I'd suggest you drive an xDrive and make sure your happy with the softer suspension as the drive of x and s drives are different.
This^

The sdrive M Sport suspension was considerably too soft for me, the xdrive M Sport (SE) suspension is basically a boat!
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
This^

The sdrive M Sport suspension was considerably too soft for me, the xdrive M Sport (SE) suspension is basically a boat!
More like wallowing whale!

Get the sDrive with adaptive suspenders and 18" wheels. With xDrive you'll get a roll-y poll-y car which will probably make you and your passengers car sick.
      03-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #8
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I've been a passenger in an xDrive and found it quite comfortable

Quote:
This^

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post

Get the sDrive with adaptive suspenders and 18" wheels. With xDrive you'll get a roll-y poll-y car which will probably make you and your passengers car sick.
It can't be that bad surely.
I want xDrive as I can't be bothered with changing over wheels every winter. Did that once with a 1 series my wife used to drive.
I also wouldn't entertain, after speccing a car with the wheels I like, that for a third of the year I'd have different ones fitted. So I'd either have to swap tyres over on the rims, or buy another identical set with winters permanently fitted. The cost of that would be more than the xDrive premium.
And if i'm honest I'm getting a little tired of having firmly sprung cars. Must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
brommy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Give TRL a ring!
      03-18-2015, 03:33 PM   #10
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny
Quote:
I've been a passenger in an xDrive and found it quite comfortable

Quote:
This^

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post

It can't be that bad surely.
I want xDrive as I can't be bothered with changing over wheels every winter. Did that once with a 1 series my wife used to drive.
I also wouldn't entertain, after speccing a car with the wheels I like, that for a third of the year I'd have different ones fitted. So I'd either have to swap tyres over on the rims, or buy another identical set with winters permanently fitted. The cost of that would be more than the xDrive premium.
And if i'm honest I'm getting a little tired of having firmly sprung cars. Must be getting old
I'd just say the drive the car you're thinking of buying. The F30 is quite a bit softer than previous 3 series, the standard xdrive even more so.

The more enthusiastic drivers will desire it firmer and more controlled in hard driving, but not everyone is after that, which I guess is why BMW have done it.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #11
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I'd just say the drive the car you're thinking of buying. The F30 is quite a bit softer than previous 3 series, the standard xdrive even more so.

The more enthusiastic drivers will desire it firmer and more controlled in hard driving, but not everyone is after that, which I guess is why BMW have done it.
Yep, BMW are pandering to the mass market, just like they are with the 2 Active Tourer & the other future FWD models, selling their souls to make more money!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #12
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brommy View Post
Give TRL a ring!
Yes. Might try tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post

I've think I've had my time with stiffly sprung cars. I used to drive stupidly quick Subarus a few years back. They had firm suspension but would grip and corner to the point where I always chickened out before the car did. Since then, a new Msport 5 series which I loved but the Mrs didn't. Her A class is pretty stiffly sprung, as is the vRS I'm currently running for work. A hire car I had the other day (bog standard Octavia) reminded me of how comfortable a car can be with softer springs.

Definitely getting older
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Might try tomorrow.

I've think I've had my time with stiffly sprung cars. I used to drive stupidly quick Subarus a few years back. They had firm suspension but would grip and corner to the point where I always chickened out before the car did. Since then, a new Msport 5 series which I loved but the Mrs didn't. Her A class is pretty stiffly sprung, as is the vRS I'm currently running for work. A hire car I had the other day (bog standard Octavia) reminded me of how comfortable a car can be with softer springs.

Definitely getting older
But there's soft, and then there's too soft! Even my sdrive with ACS springs still has plenty of ride comfort, and is still softer than the E90 M Sport.

Definitely drive an xdrive before ordering imo.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

I have a standard 335d, which is obviously XDrive. Yes, it rolls a bit. Yes, sometimes on rough bumpy roads or undulations, the standard suspension can feel a bit like its playing catchup. I've had a fair few cars with sports suspension and the difference is notable, but for the driving a do nowadays I find the 335d plenty capable and very comfortable.

I originally wanted a 330d but convinced myself at the last minute that I should go for the 335d as the price difference was marginal. I'm glad I did, but I'm sure I would have been equally as delighted if I'd stuck to the 330d.

I got a price off broadspeed and headed down to my local dealership. They ran the figures and agreed to match the price. They then had a look at pre built models to see if they had anything similar ready to go. They did. The colour was different and there were more optional extras, so the car was more expensive. It actually worked out cheaper per month on PCP due to the higher residuals but this obviously wouldn't affect a cash buyer. A bit more negotiation and the price came down inline with the previous quote. A bit more negotiation and they threw in the service pack. A bit more negotiation and I got a mileage increase for the PCP deal (again irrelevant for you).

Bottom line is I got around 22% off list, with free servicing for 5 years and only had to wait 2 weeks for delivery. They are very keen to sell these at the moment so go get yourself a deal, you won't regret it!

Last edited by workshybum; 03-18-2015 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #15
deegee7456
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520 d se, 420d MSport

[QUOTE=ukbeemerboy;17587452]First thing to do to get the best deal is buy it on finance as you will get the dealer contribution plus any discount which can be up to 20%.

Hi, if you were paying it off after 1 month, would the interest on the finance not be front loaded so that the interest paid would be quite steep if adopting that process ?

I'm also looking to either buy outright or by finance shortly.

Appreciate any feedback if anyone has done this to their advantage.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #16
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=deegee7456;17588053]
Quote:

Hi, if you were paying it off after 1 month, would the interest on the finance not be front loaded so that the interest paid would be quite steep if adopting that process ?

Thanks.
No, the interest isn't front loaded.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #17
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by workshybum View Post
I have a standard 335d, which is obviously XDrive. Yes, it rolls a bit. Yes, sometimes on rough bumpy roads or undulations, the standard suspension can feel a bit like its playing catchup. I've had a fair few cars with sports suspension and the difference is notable, but for the driving a do nowadays I find the 335d plenty capable and very comfortable.

I originally wanted a 330d but convinced myself at the last minute that I should go for the 335d as the price difference was marginal. I'm glad I did, but I'm sure I would have been equally as delighted if I'd stuck to the 330d.

I got a price off broadspeed and headed down to my local dealership. They ran the figures and agreed to match the price. They then had a look at pre built models to see if they had anything similar ready to go. They did. The colour was different and there were more optional extras, so the car was more expensive. It actually worked out cheaper per month on PCP due to the higher residuals but this obviously wouldn't affect a cash buyer. A bit more negotiation and the price came down inline with the previous quote. A bit more negotiation and they threw in the service pack. A bit more negotiation and I got a mileage increase for the PCP deal (again irrelevant for you).

Bottom line is I got around 22% off list, with free servicing for 5 years and only had to wait 2 weeks for delivery. They are very keen to sell these at the moment so go get yourself a deal, you won't regret it!
Thanks for the info (except the bit about the 335 ). Wonder how much of the extra discount you negotiated was due to it being on a PCP?

[QUOTE=deegee7456;17588053]
Quote:

Thanks.
I'd like to know more about this too, and if anyone actually did just pay it off immediately.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #18
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Yes. Might try tomorrow.

Definitely getting older

The X-drive is definitely much more softly sprung than I've been used to on previous BMWs. There are plus and minus points to that however. If you are looking to rag it around B-roads (which you probably are not) then it will likely be disappointing.

The flip side of this however is that the ride is extremely compliant which contrary to What Mr F30Am says ( ) is likely to benefit your passengers in normal driving.

I would definitely agree with his comments about the active dampers though.

In terms of the xdrive I have found when taking corners it does also feel very planted. It also does inspire a lot of confidence particularly in damp or wet conditions when pulling away from junctions for example.Might be worth testing an S drive vs an xdrive if you can. A minor benefit for me also is that I spend Sunday running my lad between various rugby clubs and often end up parking in muddy fields. Very occasionally I have been glad of the xdrive when exiting although I concede this is hardly a reason for speccing it

In my case I got suckered in by the whole marketing thing about the perceived benefit of having an AWD for snowy conditions. I did also however want my wife and children to be safe as my wife tends to drive the car more than I do during the week.

Whilst there are definite benefits to xdrive I think having been subsequently educated by the guys on this forum I think I'd probably choose Sdrive but look at getting some winter tyres instead.

Other thing to consider is if you can get a better deal on a 335d which has xdrive as standard? Might be worth looking at?

All the best with your hunt and let us know what you do end up with.

As an aside - some useless trivia - I've noticed that the spell check doesn't seen to like xdrive either and thinks the best match for it is "drivel"..... Some of the guys on here might agree with that.....
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #19
deegee7456
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=ukbeemerboy;17588103]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegee7456 View Post

No, the interest isn't front loaded.
Thanks for reply.

Would there not be an early redemption cost/charge tho ?

Surely there would be an additional charge for settling early and not allowing the financial arrangement to run its term or am I missing something ?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #20
roshambo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Sport

Just negotiate using PCP as your method of payment. Next day, call BMWFS to cancel your agreement and they'll send you an invoice to clear. Pay the balance so £0 interest and you get all the discounts and extras included. You get 14days cooling off period on all finance products.

There are lots of threads on MSE regarding car purchasing using this method
      03-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #21
deegee7456
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshambo View Post
Just negotiate using PCP as your method of payment. Next day, call BMWFS to cancel your agreement and they'll send you an invoice to clear. Pay the balance so £0 interest and you get all the discounts and extras included. You get 14days cooling off period on all finance products.

There are lots of threads on MSE regarding car purchasing using this method
Thanks for that.
Sounds good. Certainly food for thought
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #22
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

There's nothing wrong with xDrive. I and plenty of others are more than happy with the standard setup

Mines a adaptive tho, which seems a must with xD
Appreciate 0