E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > The future of diesel cars

03-23-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

The future of diesel cars

Article read on Yahoo

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/diesel-dead-141530588.html
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
dixy2k
Major
Rep

and one more piece of bad news from France again.

http://news.yahoo.com/paris-alternat...114813820.html
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
What_A_D
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k
While I understand the articles viewpoint the rise of the electric car doesn't signal the end to the diesel engine for me. For one thing diesel will be needed for the foreseeable future for most tractor trailers and with cafe standards in the US increasing the productions of diesels, hybrids, plugins, and full electrics should take more market share.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

The article failed to touch on the soon to be surge of diesel hybrids. What a surprise.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by What_A_D View Post
While I understand the articles viewpoint the rise of the electric car doesn't signal the end to the diesel engine for me. For one thing diesel will be needed for the foreseeable future for most tractor trailers and with cafe standards in the US increasing the productions of diesels, hybrids, plugins, and full electrics should take more market share.
There is a big push for the big trucks to use CNG now.

The French admitted they chose the wrong path by not adopting the hybrid technology earlier instead of the diesel.

A new diesel engine actually cleans the air as it runs. Supposedly there is cleaner air coming out of the tail pipe than going in the air filter.

Then you have the environmental studies showing how unhealthy diesels are. Just last year they linked cancer to diesel emissions.

Emission standards will forever be more and more difficult to achieve.
I can't see diesels being able to run well and meet emission standards in the future.
When people start having problems with their diesels (as in many cases on this forum) the public perception will turn against diesels again as in the 70's and 80's.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
demon
Fukowee Warrior
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport blk on blk

people need to take off their blinders...

http://cumminsengines.com/dual-fuel

and half the CO2 - same power.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
What_A_D
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon
people need to take off their blinders...

http://cumminsengines.com/dual-fuel

and half the CO2 - same power.

That is a very cool concept, I would be interested in doing some testing on this platform. There are a few things that I will say though that the video does not highlight which are current pitfalls to the technology. First being that when they say that the CO2 emissions are decreased by 20-25 percent this number represents tailpipe emissions and does not include the co2 that is produce when compressing natural gas/manufacturing the hybrid system, it is fine that they represent it this way, but that is the overall picture, and realistically long term data analysis has already been done to show the overall benefit. Secondly, the overall system they are proposing would be quite costly due to the fact of need a tank for storing diesel, a tank for storing natural gas (with this you have safety standards to meet as you have a high pressure cylinder filled with natural gas under the vehicle), an injection system for both fuel sources, batteries and electric motors. With that said this concept could be applied in freight fleets but that will happen if the overall cost increase of this design is mitigated by fuel savings or government incentives.

My source for this info: I work in R&D in the biofuels and renewable energy industry
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 10:28 PM   #8
demon
Fukowee Warrior
Rep

Quote:
That is a very cool concept, I would be interested in doing some testing on this platform.
PLEASE DO AND REPORT BACK! Here is one kit I'm sure there are others:
http://mycngguy.com/product-category...bifuel-systems
and
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0...onversion_kit/

Quote:
There are a few things that I will say though that the video does not highlight which are current pitfalls to the technology. First being that when they say that the CO2 emissions are decreased by 20-25 percent this number represents tailpipe emissions and does not include the co2 that is produce when compressing natural gas/manufacturing the hybrid system, it is fine that they represent it this way, but that is the overall picture, and realistically long term data analysis has already been done to show the overall benefit.
Not to mention the train cars that keep jumping tracks.
However, current auto emissions do not take in to account the manufacturing penalty either.

Quote:
Secondly, the overall system they are proposing would be quite costly due to the fact of need a tank for storing diesel, a tank for storing natural gas (with this you have safety standards to meet as you have a high pressure cylinder filled with natural gas under the vehicle), an injection system for both fuel sources, batteries and electric motors.
Yup biggest problem, not sure I would be willing to give up my trunk for a tank of compressed gas.

Quote:
With that said this concept could be applied in freight fleets but that will happen if the overall cost increase of this design is mitigated by fuel savings or government incentives.

My source for this info: I work in R&D in the biofuels and renewable energy industry
There are those words again "Government incentives" , with enough tax breaks corporations could find a way to make horse hockeys run you car, at least well enough to convince some politicians to continue funding....
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:59 AM   #9
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Wow:

> France is [considering an] incentive that would offer consumers €10,000 ($10,888 U.S.) for ditching their diesels and buying electric cars.
      03-26-2015, 05:52 AM   #10
What_A_D
Private
Rep

Demon: yep you are right there are issues with the current estimates and incentive systems have problems of there own. Should we move more into the area of cng engine testing I will post any info I can on here, the thing that is annoying is that I can't discuss things unless they are already published through my company or our clients. One thing I will say that you may like is that through one of our most recent projects that I worked on, we tested, at pilot scale, the gasification and conversion of municipal solid waste to diesel and jet fuel. I personally am a fan of this idea as you can reduce the waste in landfills while producing a useful products, being electricity, diesel, and her fuel.

Persian: Not sure if you have heard of "Freakonomics" you should check out their podcast on Tesla purchasing in Norway, their incentive program is fueled by oil $, irony haha.

Here's an article on it on Jalopnik: http://jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-te...-no-1651261025" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://jalopnik.com/...1651261025</a>
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #11
demon
Fukowee Warrior
Rep

Quote:
One thing I will say that you may like is that through one of our most recent projects that I worked on, we tested, at pilot scale, the gasification and conversion of municipal solid waste to diesel and jet fuel. [/url][/url]
Is this just capturing methane and converting to diesel or actually taking the raw product and converting it to diesel?

I am a huge fan of this sort of stuff. Sasol has been producing diesel from all forms of carbon based fuels for decades. They were supposed to build a plant in the USA to convert natural gas to diesel, I do not know what ever happened to the project.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 09:38 PM   #12
What_A_D
Private
Rep

Nope this is feeding MSW into a gasifier, we have done methane capture research in the past but that technology is pretty far along at this point.
Appreciate 0