F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 435i xdrive
Studio RSR

03-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
chetalien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xd

435i xdrive

is this coming to UK? any idea.
not anbohret xdrive/rwd debate.
I would prefer xdrive as i seriously can't be bothered with changing wheels every winter and not much snow where i'm but icy/wt roads.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

No indication to say it will. But maybe in 440i form?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
RalphyBMW
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xDrive MSport

FYI, xDrive with summer tyres - still crap.
      03-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 LCI Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyBMW View Post
Agreed. Summer rubber goes hard sub 8 deg and that's it. XDrive doesn't improve grip where it counts (cornering and stopping). I spoke to a BMW winter engineer about this once and he said he'd rather have a RWD car on winters than AWD on summers and he is right.
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport (M) BS /CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTP1980 View Post
Agreed. Summer rubber goes hard sub 8 deg and that's it. XDrive doesn't improve grip where it counts (cornering and stopping). I spoke to a BMW winter engineer about this once and he said he'd rather have a RWD car on winters than AWD on summers and he is right.
Correct

OP, come on. You don't want to change to winter wheels every winter, I understand. 435i with $hite suspension, I don't

Gone: F31 320d MSport BS /CR, E61 520d MSport Bus Ed, E53 X5 V8 Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Ignore the xdrive with summers in winter thing.

Plenty people 'survived' this winter without spinning out due to summer tyres on their cars (no matter the make)

We have not had a really bad winter in England for ages.

Majority of our winter months (and autumn / spring months) are wet.

BMW pushing Xdrive as a winter thing is bit bollox personally.

However xdrive in rain / wet roads excellent road holding.

Last year drove out of a wet grassed field with a bit of a bank, couple of other cars had real problems

Ok, the suspension is a bit loose and should have been more Msport than SE, however it's not crap, only when pushing it on A/ B roads with bends do you really notice it.

So driving up to Bangor in November, would I rather a 320d Sdrive or a 330d xdrive, simples xdrive everytime. Mainly as regularly piss over mates 320 and have to wait for him.

I would love a 335i xdrive Tourer.

Driving in really bad winter (foot of snow etc) would you prefer an Sdrive on winters or an Xdrive on winters?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyBMW View Post
Yes but an xdrive with summers is better than an sdrive on summers (as a lot of people don't always change their sdrives to winters)

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

OP, Why would you prefer xDrive? yes they are a little more sure footed in wet/winter conditions but can also give a false sense of invincibility. That is a very dangerous place to be in a car. I have driven pretty much most setups and in most conditions and strongly feel that a rear drive car will in the main give the most enjoyment/pleasure/responsiveness that 95% drivers will be very happy with.

As and when conditions change in winter time then put on a set of winters on, (be bothered) and not just for the odd bit of sleet/snow. They really do make a difference. This type of thread will always bring up the xDrive/sDrive debate regardless of the op's wishes. It's a very emotive topic.

However it is each to there own, and there are far worse places to be than an F3x what ever shape or form it takes

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #9
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Yes but an xdrive with summers is better than an sdrive on summers (as a lot of people don't always change their sdrives to winters)
And an sDrive with winters is better than an xDrive on summers. It's all down to the rubber that is in contact with the road and the ability of the person behind the wheel.

In actual fact this could go on/will go on all night, and probably has on god knows how many previous threads fact is as a buyer you make your choice new/used and then convince yourself it's the right thing to do, and anybody else that doesn't tow your line are in the wrong.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers View Post
And an sDrive with winters is better than an xDrive on summers. It's all down to the rubber that is in contact with the road and the ability of the person behind the wheel.

In actual fact this could go on/will go on all night, and probably has on god knows how many previous threads fact is as a buyer you make your choice new/used and then convince yourself it's the right thing to do, and anybody else that doesn't tow your line are in the wrong.

What is better on winters in heavy snow xdrive or sdrive.

The reason it drags on is comparing one on winters and other on summers.

Put them both on same rubber then compare.
Snow / rain / mud / wet grass banks/

I personally don't care if it's an Xdrive or sdrive, just that comparisons are balanced.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #11
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post

I personally don't care if it's an Xdrive or sdrive, just that comparisons are balanced.
Yes I agree on a level playing field, however if you need a vehicle/or are concerned about vehicles ability to drive in the weather conditions that mention ^ then buy a dedicated 4x4 80%+ of the years driving does not require such a vehicle and the rear drive on the right suspension will always come out on top. FFS, forget the x/sDrive +/- why not ask why one needs a 300+ bhp car when 185bhp will more than do?

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #12
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post

Yes I agree on a level playing field, however if you need a vehicle/or are concerned about vehicles ability to drive in the weather conditions that mention ^ then buy a dedicated 4x4 80%+ of the years driving does not require such a vehicle and the rear drive on the right suspension will always come out on top. FFS, forget the x/sDrive +/- why not ask why one needs a 300+ bhp car when 185bhp will more than do?
Because it just won't do!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #13
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers View Post
Yes I agree. But my point is for those that can't be bothered to change their sdrives to winters (probably most BMW drivers who don't hang out on this forum!) then xdrive is better.

How many BMW owners across the board actually change their tyres to winters? I think keen enthusiasts do but your average rep in their 318d/320d sdrive can't be arsed, especially if it's not their car.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #14
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Yes I agree. But my point is for those that can't be bothered to change their sdrives to winters (probably most BMW drivers who don't hang out on this forum!) then xdrive is better.

How many BMW owners across the board actually change their tyres to winters? I think keen enthusiasts do but your average rep in their 318d/320d sdrive can't be arsed, especially if it's not their car.
You don't need to be bothered, BMW will do to for you (at a cost)

Most BMW drivers don't even know about winter tyres or xDrive for that mater :roll eyes: As for company drivers in any engine sized F3x, they very rarely care either, for most it's just a tick box exercise until they get to their monthly budget and have no issues if they stuff 'their' car in poor weather conditions. I would guess that this forum makes up around 1% of F3x owners in the UK, who are well informed and with and strong opinions + the need to justify their own purchase decision.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #15
chetalien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xd

I for one haven't changed to winters especially in Uk with one day being sub zero and next climbing unto 10deg, not sure if its really worth the hassle. The reason for xdrive for me is most days its fine as my DD, i do have a an X5 which was absolutely fine in snow couple of yrs ago- all weather tyres. all i'm looking for is something which i can carefully drive around if needed. have had my moments when i was so scare on rwd(all weather tyres) z4m that i was going to smash into something. i managed without many issues few yrs ago on fwd. anyway the post has taken a turn which i was hoping it wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 02:12 AM   #16
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetalien View Post
I for one haven't changed to winters especially in Uk with one day being sub zero and next climbing unto 10deg, not sure if its really worth the hassle. The reason for xdrive for me is most days its fine as my DD, i do have a an X5 which was absolutely fine in snow couple of yrs ago- all weather tyres. all i'm looking for is something which i can carefully drive around if needed. have had my moments when i was so scare on rwd(all weather tyres) z4m that i was going to smash into something. i managed without many issues few yrs ago on fwd. anyway the post has taken a turn which i was hoping it wouldn't.

It's all friendly banter

Unfortunately, xdrive / sdrive always rears its head, as does diesel / petrol but not as much.

I have also been on summers since new and not had any upsets.

Personally. I would probably move to these new all season tyres with the mountain snow flake, it means have passed stringent tests.

These seem ideal for UK winters, we suffer more from ice than snow and no tyres protect from ice.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2015, 03:40 AM   #17
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

Are you sure there are no benefits on ice?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 04:23 AM   #18
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Sigh - same old same old.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 04:43 AM   #19
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

To be fair, it is the "same old" as you put it due to continual repetition of 'untruths" and misinformation

The op said he wanted 4wd (over RWD) to avoid the need to fit winter tyres.

This is not true in cold, rain, snow, slush & ice, A RWD with winter tyres will out perform a 4wd with summer tyres in the acceleration, braking and steering. Basically all the things that count.
It is dangerous to believe that 4wd and summer tyres will provide anything like as much performance in any of these areas in similar conditions, although acceleration will be improved over a RWD car with similar tyres.

The 4wd offers better traction but but to believe it is an alternative to the proper tyres for the conditions is deluded.

Plenty of people (Inc myself) have historically managed fine in a RWD car with summer tyres only, but the trend for wider tyres, more powerful cars and EU regulations which govern emissions mean tyres are becoming more and more optimised to reduce rolling resistance, which in turn really comprises winter performance.
I found the conversion to winter tyres about 10 years ago a revelation and would highly recommend them to anyone thinking of them.

To the OP, if you want improved winter grip on icy / wet roads, whether you are in a RWD or 4wd car, the biggest improvement / step you can take is to fit winter tyres.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 04:56 AM   #20
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

If weather conditions are really bad, then yes, XDrive matters. Winter tyres matter.
But if it's that bad, or you live in a part of the country where it is an issue, then you are aware of that, and plan accordingly.
For example : I'm in North Wales. Out in the sticks, house is 700 ft above sea level, on the side of a mountain.
All this winter, I've used my sDrive Touring to go to work, with no issues at all. I've had summer tyres on all through. My wife has used the Z4 (also with summers on).
IF we've got snow, or if I'm off shooting for the day, then we've got a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport sitting on the drive. THAT is our 'bad-snow' plan. We've got a small farm, so the Shogun gets a decent amount of use anyway, and doesn't just sit there.

In short, if I don't NEED xDrive or winters, then I'm sure 99% of others don't, either. Whether they WANT it or not is a different matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 05:01 AM   #21
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

If you read my post, I never said anybody "NEEDED" anything..

I only provided clarification for the OP wrt the misconception that 4wd was a panacea for adverse conditions.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 05:33 AM   #22
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

FFS, the guy asked if we thought a car might come out and it turns into another xdrive bashing thread. Get a grip and accept some people want different things to you!
Morons.
Appreciate 1