E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > European Diesels

03-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
CharlesCA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

European Diesels

Do the european diesels have the same problems we do in the USA (CBU destroying everything)? If not, what is different?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #2
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

Better diesel fuel, more experience with diesel cars, less emission control systems (not true on newer cars).

They tend to maintain their diesel better since they have more experience and better understanding of how a diesel works (dirty). There are plenty of indy shops performing routine cleaning of the engine components and exhaust.

I am sure there are still a lot of dealers here in US totally unaware of the CBU problem.
When you get a brand new diesel how many sales associates and mechanics advise you on the regeneration feature of your car? My guess is none.

BMW bears a fault in this as well. Some modern US diesel trucks have a warning on the dashboard telling you the regen has started, that way you know (hopefully) what to do.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #3
CharlesCA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
When you get a brand new diesel how many sales associates and mechanics advise you on the regeneration feature of your car? My guess is none.

BMW bears a fault in this as well. Some modern US diesel trucks have a warning on the dashboard telling you the regen has started, that way you know (hopefully) what to do.
What is this regeneration you are talking about?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
Jason_
Rep
Drives: E91 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCA View Post
What is this regeneration you are talking about?

DPF regeneration, burning of the soot that is trapped in the diesel particulate filter. Some vehicles tell you when its commencing. On industrial machinery that I work on it tells you that one is needed, then you choose to do one or can cancel it. You can only cancel it 5 times then you're in a whole world of expensiveness with having to remove and clean it if a forced regeneration doesnt work.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

I believe all 3 new US diesel trucks have some kind of warning (light or message on the dashboard).
They did not come with it in the past but still had the regen cycle.

For our cars, I am sure it can be done with a software update to let you know when this will take place or if you are in the middle of one and have to keep driving instead of shutting the engine off.

It would be brilliant if it can warn you -10 miles before it will take place so you know what to do, where to go. Right on the small screen between the dials.
Come on BMW, just a simple software update.
Appreciate 0