E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > US Model Questions (screen/tires/headlamps)

03-29-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 3.0

US Model Questions (screen/tires/headlamps)

Does anyone know what the size of the Navigation Screen is? In Europe it comes with a 6.6" screen or with "Professional Navigation" which comes with an 8" screen. I just got off the phone with BMW NA and they said that all 3 Series Navs in the US *may* come with the larger screen, but it wasn't officially announced yet.

Also, are the Pirelli tires (shown at the Europe launch) coming with the Sports Package, or Michelin? BMW NA couldn't tell me anything, just that the only Sports run flats they use were Bridgestone and Pirelli, so i'm guessing Pirelli is coming to the US.

I asked them about the clear headlamps, and they said that they can't sell it to you with the car, but they will probably offer OEM replacements starting May. No pricing was disclosed.

One other strange thing I found, is that if you get iDrive and Navi, you lose MP3 playback, which doesn't make sense to me. If you want MP3 playback and Navi, you have to add the 6 disc changer, which i'm not going for. I am an iPOD fanatic and will use the AUX input for a while, until Dension comes out with an Interface that lets me control the iPOD from the iDrive controller and steering wheel columns.

I am also interested in the TV Function that doesn't appear here in the US as an option. I've looked at NAV-TV in the past for my X5, but didn't pull the trigger because i knew i was getting a new car. Let me know if someone else has info about TV function for iDrive.

Thanks!

Nathan
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2005, 08:55 PM   #2
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I'm almost 100% positive the new 3 series will have the large 8" Idrive screen. I can't seem to remember where I read this, but I remember reading it for a fact because it made me stop for a minute. The dvd/navigation screens I was always used to were still in 16:9 format, but they were always less than 7". When I read 8" I remember thinking, wow that's a pretty big screen! Maybe I read it in the configurator software I downloaded from this site. Can't remember though...

I don't have any info on tires yet, or those clear euro headlamps. I'm sure they will be out as soon as the car goes on sale, though. I'll keep looking about the tires, though. I've been researching this car since I read they were about to redesign it!

I also found it strange that you lose MP3 capabilities when you opt for the DVD/Navi Idrive. I can't understand why they didn't incorporate that in when designing the thing. I guess the Idrive is a completely different set up than the factory radio.

As far as that TV function, again maybe you can get more info from that configurator software. I did see something about it there. It seems pretty helpful, and gives info about the different features, options, ect, that you wouldn't necessarily see from a dealer. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2005, 10:26 PM   #3
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey Sharp:
Thanks for replying. I just downloaded the config software, but noticed it was for German markets only. It actually didn't have the 6.6" option for the screen, so i'm still unsure as to what size the screen on my e90 is until i see it in May.

I will call BMW NA back in April to see if they know anything more.

Nathan
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2005, 10:49 PM   #4
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoutinho
Hey Sharp:
Thanks for replying. I just downloaded the config software, but noticed it was for German markets only. It actually didn't have the 6.6" option for the screen, so i'm still unsure as to what size the screen on my e90 is until i see it in May.

I will call BMW NA back in April to see if they know anything more.

Nathan
Yeah, I didn't think that program was meant for use here in the states, because I noticed lots of options like the illuminated inside door sills with the BMW logo, and different options for the shift knob, but I never saw these anywhere else. But it's a neat little program (even though it's not little--it's like 70 megs) because you can do more to customize the car than you could originally on BMW.com

I know I read something somewhere about the screen size...I just can't find it. This is really going to bother me now until I find it. I just checked through all my brochures that I have about the new E90, but nothing there. I don't know, I read like literally maybe 20 different Internet and magazine articles about this car, so I'll go back and do some searches and see if I can find it. I'll be sure to let you know whatever I find.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2005, 11:59 PM   #5
Briteboy[iCE]
Rep
Drives: Silver 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
I'm almost 100% positive the new 3 series will have the large 8" Idrive screen. I can't seem to remember where I read this, but I remember reading it for a fact because it made me stop for a minute. The dvd/navigation screens I was always used to were still in 16:9 format, but they were always less than 7". When I read 8" I remember thinking, wow that's a pretty big screen! Maybe I read it in the configurator software I downloaded from this site. Can't remember though...
You sure it's 8" screen? That's a nice big screen if it's true.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Confirmed this morning with some technical guys at BMW NA. The Navi Screen in the United States will be the Navigation Professional German version, which has the 8.1" screen.

I went to my dealer this am who called them while on the speakerphone. I am a happy man.

What i didn't know, however, was that any e60/61 5 Series that was ordered without the Navi in the US automatically gets the 6.6" Screen. However, if the Navi was ordered, the screen automatically jumps to 8.1".

News to me!

Thanks.

Nathan
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2005, 06:05 PM   #7
blackpanther
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Dinan 3

Nice detective work Nathan 8" screen is pretty darn large. Gonna be awesome to look at if one can figure out a way to play dvd's on it. Although even just seeing the navi and idrive menus on such a large screen will be a sight to behold.
      03-31-2005, 08:40 AM   #8
A61
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

how about a tv tuner? i think it's an option here in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2005, 08:49 AM   #9
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Does anyone know what the size of the Navigation Screen is? In Europe it comes with a 6.6" screen or with "Professional Navigation" which comes with an 8" screen. I just got off the phone with BMW NA and they said that all 3 Series Navs in the US *may* come with the larger screen, but it wasn't officially announced yet.

Also, are the Pirelli tires (shown at the Europe launch) coming with the Sports Package, or Michelin? BMW NA couldn't tell me anything, just that the only Sports run flats they use were Bridgestone and Pirelli, so i'm guessing Pirelli is coming to the US.

I asked them about the clear headlamps, and they said that they can't sell it to you with the car, but they will probably offer OEM replacements starting May. No pricing was disclosed.

One other strange thing I found, is that if you get iDrive and Navi, you lose MP3 playback, which doesn't make sense to me. If you want MP3 playback and Navi, you have to add the 6 disc changer, which i'm not going for. I am an iPOD fanatic and will use the AUX input for a while, until Dension comes out with an Interface that lets me control the iPOD from the iDrive controller and steering wheel columns.

I am also interested in the TV Function that doesn't appear here in the US as an option. I've looked at NAV-TV in the past for my X5, but didn't pull the trigger because i knew i was getting a new car. Let me know if someone else has info about TV function for iDrive.

Thanks!

Nathan
I can tell you about the tires... There basicly is no answer because BMW buys tires from 2-3 different mfgs (continental, bridgestone, michelin, and pirelli sometimes), BMW will buy a whole large set and depending on which shipment came in that day/week, that is the tire that you will get. The tires are supposed to be relatively equivalent. SO bascily its all random which tire you will get. Hopefully you are a lucky one to get the michelins

getting clears wont be a problem, if BMW wont officially importthem (like they did with the facelift e46 clears due to regulatory problems), then the aftermarket guys like bekkers or BMP will bring them in from europe, there should be no problem at all.
      04-02-2005, 11:04 PM   #10
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Glipse of the 8.8" Screen on the US and Candian Navigation models. Thanks Mark for the info on the tires. aftermarket has no clue on availability on the clear lenses yet, so i might have to wait or order it from Europe.

Nathan
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2005, 07:19 AM   #11
Ewrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Can Anyone tell me where I can order the clear lamps from Europe or anywhere else?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #12
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
One other strange thing I found, is that if you get iDrive and Navi, you lose MP3 playback, which doesn't make sense to me.
The MP3 playback capabilities are based on the presence of a CD player. For whatever reason BMWs that are equipped with NAV have cassette deck and not an in dash CD player. The only way that i could play CDs on my 01' 330i is through the trunk mounted CD changer. But wait... the E90 with NAV does have what appears to be an in dash CD player. Never mind
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2005, 09:46 PM   #13
mduchesne
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Jet Black 330i

Cool Seems to have two CD Slots

The picture seems to have two CD slots so MP3's should work in the CD Drive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2005, 10:30 PM   #14
aMetalhead
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

God the dash looks so much better with the screen.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2005, 01:48 AM   #15
Ewrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep

In the Brochure, i says when equiped with idrive and nav, an optional six disk changer is required for mp3 playback
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #16
jpv-USC
Rep
Drives: 2003 325Cic, red/b

This is what mp3 playback screen will look like on idrive screen... nothing fancy. Picture is from RoBMW's new e90.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2005, 02:07 AM   #17
Ewrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Nice.....looks cool
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2005, 08:22 AM   #18
blackpanther
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Dinan 3

Nothing fancy, but still shows more track/cd information than the standard one line text of a regular headunit. The 8" u.s. screen will be eye candy to look at no matter what on the screen.