THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Track Days

04-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Track Days

I did about 10 track days in my M235i last year. I went through two sets of MPSS tires and I'm on my third set of brake pads. This year I'm going to run on a square wheel and tire setup. First outing this year is set in early May at the Glen.
      04-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
I did about 10 track days in my M235i last year. I went through two sets of MPSS tires and I'm on my third set of brake pads. This year I'm going to run on a square wheel and tire setup. First outing this year is set in early May at the Glen.
Just about the same. I've done 11 days so far in my M235i. I went through a set of MPSS, the fronts on a set of Direzza II's, and then I got camber plates put in to save tires.

I am, however, only on my second set of brake pads (switched to Porterfield R4-S pads). Nice thing about living in SoCal is you can do track stuff all year around (except in mid summer -- too hot).

Are you bone stock or have you done some track/suspension mods?

Last edited by Liquidpaper; 04-14-2015 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

What tires would you guys recommend?
Looking at these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...tpackage=false

I'm between the RE-71R, Direzza ZII Star spec and the Ventus RS-3...
Didn't hear very good things about the Rivals but not sure if the new ones are better
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Of those, I've used the R-S3s and the Star Specs. I personally like the Star Specs more. But the R-S3s can be found locally. Must go through Tire Rack to get the Star Specs.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #5
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
Of those, I've used the R-S3s and the Star Specs. I personally like the Star Specs more. But the R-S3s can be found locally. Must go through Tire Rack to get the Star Specs.
If you want a no-compromise tire, Star Specs. They stick like glue and handle heat pretty well.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
If you want a no-compromise tire, Star Specs. They stick like glue and handle heat pretty well.
Ya this would be a dedicated set...
What's the diff between the regular direzza and the Star spec ?

The new RE-71R looks like a copy of the Direzza...
Also there is a $70 Visa prepaid card with the RE-71R so about $18 less a tire
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #7
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Ya this would be a dedicated set...
What's the diff between the regular direzza and the Star spec ?

The new RE-71R looks like a copy of the Direzza...
What's the difference? No idea. But tires are consumables, so if you can get the normal Direzza II's for cheap, go for it. They can't be THAT much better.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What's the difference? No idea. But tires are consumables, so if you can get the normal Direzza II's for cheap, go for it. They can't be THAT much better.
ya the regular Direzza II's were on closeout and were $143 but only 2 left on TR and last time I checked I had 4 wheels
and $270 on top of that for the TPMS

So comparing with the PSS that is what I have used so far on 1 track day... how do they compare with the Direzza II's for those who have used both ?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
ya the regular Direzza II's were on closeout and were $143 but only 2 left on TR and last time I checked I had 4 wheels
and $270 on top of that for the TPMS

So comparing with the PSS that is what I have used so far on 1 track day... how do they compare with the Direzza II's for those who have used both ?
I've used both. The Direzzas are much quieter i.e. they don't scream as loud when you screw up, so you're going to have to pay attention to the car and how your butt feels to figure out if you blew a turn or not.

Also, the Direzzas are stiffer (stiffer sidewall) and provide better feedback, are stickier, handle heat better (don't get as greasy), and are generally more durable given a proper alignment (don't chunk). Great tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #10
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've used both. The Direzzas are much quieter i.e. they don't scream as loud when you screw up, so you're going to have to pay attention to the car and how your butt feels to figure out if you blew a turn or not.

Also, the Direzzas are stiffer (stiffer sidewall) and provide better feedback, are stickier, handle heat better (don't get as greasy), and are generally more durable given a proper alignment (don't chunk). Great tires.
I see.... hopefully if the LCA fits on 17" wheels should help with wear....

So Direzza's are directional so I can only rotate front-rear....
Also there is no inside or ouside right? so I could eventually have the tires remounted insideout left front to right front and viceversa if LCA is not enough help for camber and the shoulder wears ?

What PSI do you run on the Direzza's?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #11
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

Also there is no inside or ouside right? so I could eventually have the tires remounted insideout left front to right front and viceversa if LCA is not enough help for camber and the shoulder wears ?

With 2.25 camber F and R, I shoot for 36 hot. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #12
rpagianotto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F22 m235i 8AT

Only one trackday with mine so far, but plan to do more soon enough!
That said, I managed around 30 laps @ interlagos in this session, which isn't so bad!

The thing about interlagos is that the right side tyres wear out faster than the left side ones. Since I was running on stock staggered PSS, for the next time I'm planning to use a square setup with slicks!

It was extremely hot that day (around 35ºC), and I only drove on the morning session. Still, I was a little disappointed that around noon the car began to overheat. It didn't go into limp mode per se, or throw any lights, but started to top out at 200kph and shift slower... Extremely annoying, specially since I was battling against a new audi S3 on semi-slicks!

Not sure what to do to prevent this next time around!

Last edited by rpagianotto; 04-14-2015 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #13
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagianotto View Post
That said, I managed around 30 laps @ interlagos in this session, which isn't so bad!

The thing about interlagos is that the right side tyres wear out faster than the left side ones. Since I was running on stock staggered PSS, for the next time I'm planning to use a square setup with slicks!

It was extremely hot that day (around 35ºC), and I only drove on the morning session. Still, I was a little disappointed that around noon the car began to overheat. It didn't go into limp mode per se, or throw any lights, but startet to top out at 200kph and shift slower... Extremely annoying, specially since I was battling against a new audi S3 on semi-slicks!

Huh. I'm a little surprised you had cooling issues. I've thrashed my car on the track and it never goes above 240 F in SoCal. Interesting. I think (maybe) your transmission was overheating? Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:00 PM   #14
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:

It was extremely hot that day (around 35ºC), and I only drove on the morning session. Still, I was a little disappointed that around noon the car began to overheat. It didn't go into limp mode per se, or throw any lights, but startet to top out at 200kph and shift slower... Extremely annoying, specially since I was battling against a new audi S3 on semi-slicks!

Do you have the increase coolers that we get in North America? There are other threads on these, trying to figure out who gets them v. who doesn't, and why. Maybe this is the source of the lack of cooling?
      04-14-2015, 10:08 PM   #15
rpagianotto
Private First Class
Rep

I think that's exactly it, my car doesn't have the auxiliary radiator or the hot weather package! To me, it's stupid that BMW won't bring cars with them to Brazil, of all places!
Unfortunately during the trackday I wasn't able to access the secret menu to check oil and coolant temp, but like I said, the car didn't actually go into limp mode! Just something to look out for!
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #16
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:

It was extremely hot that day (around 35ºC), and I only drove on the morning session. Still, I was a little disappointed that around noon the car began to overheat. It didn't go into limp mode per se, or throw any lights, but started to top out at 200kph and shift slower... Extremely annoying, specially since I was battling against a new audi S3 on semi-slicks!

You lucky bastard..... driving on an F1 circuit...

Were you on DS or M mode?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #17
rpagianotto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Sort of lucky, I guess! We don't have that many track options to choose from around here! At least the one track we do have is awesome!!

M mode, naturally! hahah
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #18
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagianotto
Quote:

Sort of lucky, I guess! We don't have that many track options to choose from around here! At least the one track we do have is awesome!!

M mode, naturally! hahah
I was born in Uruguay and we have much fewer tracks lol

Pretty much we have only 1 track lol
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 04:44 AM   #19
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

I'm on the e90m3 section but browse all the track threads. They should be non-model specific!

Strange on m3post everyone runs RS3 and I thought the star spec was more of an autocross tire, or maybe it's because of the sizing options.
      06-07-2015, 04:45 AM   #20
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper
Quote:

It was extremely hot that day (around 35C), and I only drove on the morning session. Still, I was a little disappointed that around noon the car began to overheat. It didn't go into limp mode per se, or throw any lights, but startet to top out at 200kph and shift slower... Extremely annoying, specially since I was battling against a new audi S3 on semi-slicks!

Huh. I'm a little surprised you had cooling issues. I've thrashed my car on the track and it never goes above 240 F in SoCal. Interesting. I think (maybe) your transmission was overheating? Who knows.
Who do you usually run with?
      06-07-2015, 04:47 AM   #21
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:

If they are dedicated track tires directional goes out the door as the tread is for water.

Also don't waste money on tpms on a track set! You should be monitoring tires pressure anyways.
      06-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #22
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal TW View Post
If they are dedicated track tires directional goes out the door as the tread is for water.

Also don't waste money on tpms on a track set! You should be monitoring tires pressure anyways.
Yes but I've read before that if you run them backwards they might wear out prematurely... not sure if true or not...

Also it's nice to be able to check tire pressure and temp in real time while on the track so tpms is actually quite useful
Appreciate 0