F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan F32 435i xDrive Suspension NOW AVAILABLE!
ARMA SPEED

04-15-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Dinan F32 435i xDrive Suspension NOW AVAILABLE!

The wait is over.

Dinan F32 435i xDrive
Springs and Bump Stops

Name:  IMG_9027_LR.jpg
Views: 10429
Size:  474.3 KB

Suspension systems that not only transform the stance of the vehicle but also maintain ride quality and improve upon handling are what Dinan suspensions are known for. This is accomplished by pairing springs sets with bump stops, spring perches or both to maintain suspension travel resulting in a smooth ride while also improving mechanical grip and handling. This is what makes Dinan suspension systems unique. While we are able to sell each component separately it is highly recommend that both the spring sets and the supplemental ride quality and handling kits are used in tandem in order to maintain the Dinan quality standards our customers are used to. Experience the Dinan difference with this combination and enjoy the ride it provides.

Dinan's Performance Spring set for the F32 435i (xDrive) provides greater control over body roll by virtue of carefully calibrated spring rates. Additionally, Dinan lowers the 435i by a 3/4" in the front and a full inch in the rear for improved suspension geometry and an even more aggressive stance. The Dinan springs are CNC wound with high tensile chrome silicon wire and shot peened for stress relief to last the life of the car. The 38% increase in stiffness in the fornt and 50% increase in the rear will reduce the rear suspension compression under acceleration and front suspension compression (or dive) under braking, giving your car a more controlled feel. The Dinan performance springs will also provide a noticeable improvement in grip, for high speed driving situations that will inspire confidence in your car's capabilities. The reduced body roll makes the steering more responsive to driver input and will be noticed at low speeds up to the top speed of the vehicle.

Benefits of the Dinan Performance Spring Set for the F32 435i (xDrive):

+ 38% increase in spring stiffness in front and 50% increase in the rear
+ Lowers the vehicle 3/4" in the front and a full inch in the rear
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435i xDrive MSport

Are you recommending stiffer dampers to balance out the stiffer springs?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #3
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Will this work for all 4 series xdrive? Why just f32 435?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastFrontierBimmer View Post
You can replace the shocks if desired but it is not required. Upgraded shocks however will assist in the ride quality. Ideally if you have the Adaptive M Suspension (electronic shocks) we would definitely recommend also getting shockware to compensate a bit and get a bit more aggressive dampening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Just the 435i xDrive. First and foremost we have not tested the sets on xDrive variants of the 428i or the Gran Coupe and Convertible 435i. They may ultimately work but I would highly doubt it given the weight differences, chassis variations, and other variables . While a one size fits all approach may work for some vendors that is not how we tend to do business. We engineer to each individual model car.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:15 PM   #5
F30_335
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Garage List
2014 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
You can replace the shocks if desired but it is not required. Upgraded shocks however will assist in the ride quality. Ideally if you have the Adaptive M Suspension (electronic shocks) we would definitely recommend also getting shockware to compensate a bit and get a bit more aggressive dampening.
Dinan, I was wrote letter to support but not recived reply.
I have Dinan springs for 335ix. I was installed springs in official dealer. He said that front axle with dinan springs not straight from gear to wheel. And there will be extra load on the bearing. This can lead to breakage. What do you think about this?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
cmonter3323
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i GC

any springs for the f36 in your R&D?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_335 View Post
Dinan, I was wrote letter to support but not recived reply.
I have Dinan springs for 335ix. I was installed springs in official dealer. He said that front axle with dinan springs not straight from gear to wheel. And there will be extra load on the bearing. This can lead to breakage. What do you think about this?
The angle change does not add any additional stress to the CV joint in our experience, as it is in their nature to be malleable to the angle changes. So, no expected additional stress on any of the parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonter3323 View Post
Not at present.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #8
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:

Quote:
Just the 435i xDrive. First and foremost we have not tested the sets on xDrive variants of the 428i or the Gran Coupe and Convertible 435i. They may ultimately work but I would highly doubt it given the weight differences, chassis variations, and other variables . While a one size fits all approach may work for some vendors that is not how we tend to do business. We engineer to each individual model car.
Right I know the engineering and R&D part as I see that all the time
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
cjack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435X, EBII, 6MT, PPK + 2019 X5

Thank you, glad you provide an option for 435x now.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #10
NDKHOA
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Is the Shockware specific to 435i xDrives to with Adaptive M Suspension, i.e. were the springs, bump stops, and Shockware designed to work together to maintain/enhance the car's performance in conjunction with the AMS?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #11
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDKHOA
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Is the Shockware specific to 435i xDrives to with Adaptive M Suspension, i.e. were the springs, bump stops, and Shockware designed to work together to maintain/enhance the car's performance in conjunction with the AMS?
Yes they are all designed to work together. Ideally that is how it should be done to attain the best possible suspension performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #12
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:

I agree with this. Currently, I personally only have the springs with standard Adaptive M Suspension, and I would highly recommend getting the Shockware at the same time as the springs if/when possible. Right now, in comfort mode, I feel that the car is a tad bouncy when on the highways. If I put it in sport mode, the damping feels perfect. Getting Shockware would essentially change the comfort damping to the sport parameters, which would be perfect imo.

Tl;dr - Get the Shockware at the same time as the springs if/when possible. You won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #13
zeroka
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xdrive convertible

Quote:

can it be installed on a 2016 435i xdrive convertible?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroka View Post
can it be installed on a 2016 435i xdrive convertible?
We have never test fit the suspension on a convertible so I couldn't say with absolute certainty but given the weight difference its a safe assumption that the rear springs / bump stops at very least would differ from the normal coupe variant.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 01:02 AM   #15
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep

Dear Dinan:

1) Can you please tell me your reasons for greater reduction in ride height in the rear (1") as compared to the front (3/4")? I've wondered this since reading that observation from those who have already installed your springs on the 435i xDrive.

2) Same question with respect to spring rate increase front (38%) versus rear (50%). Why the difference?

3) Would you consider the damping rate of the Bilstein B8 Sport shocks & struts to be suitably compatible with the Dinan springs for my 435i xDrive?

I'm seriously considering switching to the Dinan springs on my 435i xDrive. I currently run H&R Sport springs with Bilstein B8 Sport shocks & struts. (The "Sport" B8s are intended for lower springs than stock.) The ride is generally much improved for spirited driving in all conditions EXCEPT a certain frequency of sharp bump (about 2" abrupt rise in street surface). When hitting such a short, rapid rise bump, I get a "SLAM!" as though the front end bottoms out. Others have reported broken front top hats when hitting hard bumps with the H&R/Bilstein combination.

If the increased travel and presumably tailored spring rate of the Dinan springs will help to overcome this ride characteristic (especially since it seems they are specifically matched to the weight of the inline 6 in the 435), then count me in. Currently the ride height of the H&Rs is attractive, albeit with a slight "rake" (rear higher than front), possibly due to the one-size-fits-all approach to the spring set. But I'll take the higher stance of the Dinan springs if they drive and ride better.

I'm eager to hear your reply. Feel free to PM your response if you prefer. Thanks much.

PS: I do not have Adaptive M suspension.
2014 435i xDrive MSport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / MPPK / 6MT / 19" / M Sport Brakes / DINAN Springs / Bilstein B8 / Technology Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assist / HK Sound
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #16
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dear Dinan:

1) Can you please tell me your reasons for greater reduction in ride height in the rear (1") as compared to the front (3/4")? I've wondered this since reading that observation from those who have already installed your springs on the 435i xDrive.

2) Same question with respect to spring rate increase front (38%) versus rear (50%). Why the difference?

3) Would you consider the damping rate of the Bilstein B8 Sport shocks & struts to be suitably compatible with the Dinan springs for my 435i xDrive?

I'm seriously considering switching to the Dinan springs on my 435i xDrive. I currently run H&R Sport springs with Bilstein B8 Sport shocks & struts. (The "Sport" B8s are intended for lower springs than stock.) The ride is generally much improved for spirited driving in all conditions EXCEPT a certain frequency of sharp bump (about 2" abrupt rise in street surface). When hitting such a short, rapid rise bump, I get a "SLAM!" as though the front end bottoms out. Others have reported broken front top hats when hitting hard bumps with the H&R/Bilstein combination.

If the increased travel and presumably tailored spring rate of the Dinan springs will help to overcome this ride characteristic (especially since it seems they are specifically matched to the weight of the inline 6 in the 435), then count me in. Currently the ride height of the H&Rs is attractive, albeit with a slight "rake" (rear higher than front), possibly due to the one-size-fits-all approach to the spring set. But I'll take the higher stance of the Dinan springs if they drive and ride better.

I'm eager to hear your reply. Feel free to PM your response if you prefer. Thanks much.

PS: I do not have Adaptive M suspension.
1. / 2.) Ultimately the drop that was arrived at was the result of what our target bump stop clearance was. While looks are important our first priority is maintaining ride quality and thus suspension travel and bump stop clearance. The spring rate is a similar situation and the rates just happened to come out to those proportions based on what our targets were.

3.) While we have never tested the Bilsteins I am sure they will work fine with Dinan springs. I seem to recall a forum member having the combo and raving about it but can't find it on a cursory search. The damping rate of the Bilsteins and the springs are obviously not going to be a perfect match as they were not specifically designed for one another like we like to do when we do a Koni/Dinan spring combo of the past but any additional dampening over stock would be a step in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #17
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
1. / 2.) Ultimately the drop that was arrived at was the result of what our target bump stop clearance was. While looks are important our first priority is maintaining ride quality and thus suspension travel and bump stop clearance. The spring rate is a similar situation and the rates just happened to come out to those proportions based on what our targets were.

3.) While we have never tested the Bilsteins I am sure they will work fine with Dinan springs. I seem to recall a forum member having the combo and raving about it but can't find it on a cursory search. The damping rate of the Bilsteins and the springs are obviously not going to be a perfect match as they were not specifically designed for one another like we like to do when we do a Koni/Dinan spring combo of the past but any additional dampening over stock would be a step in the right direction.
Thanks much for your replies. I think I've learned my lesson, i.e., that I want a performance car WITH excellent ride quality. Perhaps your travel/bump stop clearance will be a further improvement.

Any chance you'll do a matched Koni/Dinan spring combo or some other such full suspension "enhancement" for the 435i xDrive, or is this (springs) probably it?
2014 435i xDrive MSport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / MPPK / 6MT / 19" / M Sport Brakes / DINAN Springs / Bilstein B8 / Technology Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assist / HK Sound
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 01:40 PM   #18
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks much for your replies. I think I've learned my lesson, i.e., that I want a performance car WITH excellent ride quality. Perhaps your travel/bump stop clearance will be a further improvement.

Any chance you'll do a matched Koni/Dinan spring combo or some other such full suspension "enhancement" for the 435i xDrive, or is this (springs) probably it?
There is some testing / evaluation going on with Koni's as well but nothing has been set in stone yet so who knows if it ever gets to the point that it comes to market. The springs / bumpstops is the only solution from Dinan for the near future at very least.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #19
MAXecutive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonter3323 View Post
Quote:

Not at present.

I called Dinan just over a month ago and was told that F36 435i xDrive springs will be released soon ... Is this still accurate and what is the current status?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #20
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep

Update on my 435i xDrive with static suspension. I first added H&R Sport springs with stock dampers. It was over-sprung and under-damped, so I added Bilstein B8 shocks and struts. While it was quite nice on perfect roads, the ride was $hI7 when the suspension was under the slightest duress. On choppy, bumpy roads it "slammed" and lost composure. My driving became tentative everywhere. After 9,000 miles (yes, I'm tenacious) I gave up on the H&Rs and I've just swapped them for DINAN springs. It's night and day. The ride is now firm, almost stiff, but with a suppleness over rolling bumps and excellent composure over choppy, crappy roads. This, with 19" wheels. Mind you, I've got 1 1/2 to 2 fingers of clearance in the front and 1 1/2 fingers rear, i.e., it rides higher than the H&Rs, which were almost tucked into the front fender and 1 1/2 fingers clearance in the rear. While it's higher than it was on the H&Rs, it's still considerably lower than stock xDrive (DINAN says .75" front and 1" rear) and looks great. I'll take the renewed ride of the DINAN springs with Bilstein B8s any day. It's the balance of sporty performance and drivability I was looking for when I first began making changes to the stock xDrive suspension. Very pleased after 4 days of driving.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #21
f31inmi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i xDrive

Any development plans for springs for F31 w/ xDrive?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 12:01 AM   #22
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f31inmi View Post
Any development plans for springs for F31 w/ xDrive?
None that I have been made aware of. The wagon market in the US is so small that I don't foresee it being developed to be honest.
Appreciate 0