Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Comp

Tracking the M4: A novice's perspective & some firsts

Hi friends,

I know there have been a few threads with people sharing their experience tracking the M4, including most recently FTS's great post. I don't want to repeat what others have said, but wanted to share my perspective as a novice with a couple of track days under my belt (9 to be exact).

I was at Summit Point Main at the ACNA PCC HPDE between 21-22 March (which by the way is a GREAT club) with my M4. It was notable to me because of a couple of firsts. I won't repeat what FTS wrote in his last post, but it's a great track where you can get some serious speed (I hit 144 mph on the main straight).

Like I have done in the past, I ran with MDM on for most of the first day. But as others have said, it's very constraining, and as I picked up speed, I felt I was struggling against the car. So on the advice of my instructor I switched everything off, and said a silent prayer. I really expected the car to behave like a bucking bronco from what everyone here and the reviewers have said. On the contrary, it held the road like glue and I was thrilled with the feedback -- I could feel the beginning of over/understeer and correct for it immediately and very easily.

That said, I did have a serious oversteer 'moment' on the track, but funnily that was in a previous session with MDM on - I dropped a tire in the mud and nearly lost control. The strange thing is, the flashing light did not come on until after the correction. You can see it in the video clip here:

After a few laps with all the nannies off, I picked up more speed than previously. I have to put it down to really feeling so much more in control and connected with the car than with MDM. I would strongly urge fellow novices to switch all nannies off - it really is the only way to learn. The car is so balanced and has so much power and grip that it was a sheer and utter delight to drive. I really don't understand why most people buy this car and don't track it. It's the only way to really understand what they have under their hands.

My fastest lap was a 1:28.14. Here it is:

Apart from that, I also melted my brake pads (in my elation during my first solo run I forgot about the cool-down lap) and the next day on a drive to NY my front tires basically fell apart.

I guess this is the point where an occasional past-time starts becoming a little serious, and a little more expensive.

Sadly, this is not to be. I am being relocated outside the country for a couple of years, and in a place where I unfortunately cannot drive a car like the M4. So I put it for sale last week, and dropped it off yesterday.

In parting, I wanted to take this occasion to say thanks and give a big shout out to MaynardZed, gthal, CanAutM3, FTS, S54dan and Karrusell for all their posts and great advice.

What an amazing car.

See everyone in a couple of years. All best! Spyros
Attached Images

Last edited by Mortis; 04-19-2015 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

Awesome! Did you take any driving courses before tracking? I'm gonna take CCC through my BMWCCA chapter and do some autocross before tracking. Been doing a few sessions of karting too (the little karts that top out at around 35-45 mph).
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Nice work! Sorry to hear about having to let the car go. Thanks for showing your car to me at Road Atlanta last month; picked mine up yesterday as a matter of fact. Hope to see you at a track again sometime...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Nice review. Yes, better to keep the nannies off and work up speed gradually. The chassis is very well balanced as an M car should be. Was at the track today talking with a Corvette guy today and we agreed we see an inordinate amount of track mishaps with corvettes because so many guys get really fast with the nannies on. Then when they realize to be really, really fast you need to turn them off, they become dangerous.

Sorry to hear about your departure, but sounds like you'll be back in the U.S. just in time to pick up an M4 GTS.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 12:08 AM   #5
volkl23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

How did you mount your gopro to get that view? I'm doing a track day event and would like to get a similar vantage point as the one you did
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 04:55 AM   #6
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Great write up and thanks for sharing!

Boy, you did a number on that tire . What pressure were you running?

P.S. Nice recovery
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Well done Mortis

First, I am glad that some of our babbling has been helpful to few

Second, I am very sorry you had to part ways with the car and will not have the opportunity to continue tracking

Third, really nice driving. For a newbie your shift points were spot on, which are important at this track, and much smoother than normally expected. Not to mention you were faster (!!!) than me. Awesome job, and great save on T3.

What happened at T3 btw? Were you still on the brakes, even slightly, as you turned the steering towards the turn?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #8
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Well done Mortis

First, I am glad that some of our babbling has been helpful to few

Second, I am very sorry you had to part ways with the car and will not have the opportunity to continue tracking

Third, really nice driving. For a newbie your shift points were spot on, which are important at this track, and much smoother than normally expected. Not to mention you were faster (!!!) than me. Awesome job, and great save on T3.

What happened at T3 btw? Were you still on the brakes, even slightly, as you turned the steering towards the turn?
Thank you ! It's been a blast to learn with this car, though to be honest that lap was by far my best one - it was the one where things 'clicked' and I got into a flow. Beautiful feeling when it happens... What struck me though is that my best laps were the ones without the instructor in the car ! For some reason, I felt calmer and more confident.

About T3 - I was transitioning from the brakes to the throttle when my left rear went off just slightly and into a muddy patch. If it had been dry I might not have had a problem. Could the shift of weight to the rears due to braking combined with sudden loss of traction on the right rear have sent me into oversteer? Whatever the case, I'm just happy I didn't have a close encounter with the wall just off camera to the left!

Thanks again FTS - and look forward to your next report from Summit Point - I am sure you will completely slaughter my time

Cheers!

Last edited by Mortis; 04-20-2015 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #9
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Great write up and thanks for sharing!

Boy, you did a number on that tire . What pressure were you running?

P.S. Nice recovery
Thanks!

I was running 37 PSI - this was the pressure I was told to keep the PSS at. They started chunking on my drive to New York. Called and sent a photo to BMW, they told me to get off the road immediately. Being in the middle of nowhere and alone, I decided to continue driving - below the speed limit. Absolutely no problems, got back to DC and swapped out the fronts for a set I bought from a fellow bimmerpost fanatic.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #10
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkl23 View Post
How did you mount your gopro to get that view? I'm doing a track day event and would like to get a similar vantage point as the one you did
I just stuck the go pro on a suction mount (with extension) on the plastic part on the back of the seat. Works great.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #11
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Nice review. Yes, better to keep the nannies off and work up speed gradually. The chassis is very well balanced as an M car should be. Was at the track today talking with a Corvette guy today and we agreed we see an inordinate amount of track mishaps with corvettes because so many guys get really fast with the nannies on. Then when they realize to be really, really fast you need to turn them off, they become dangerous.

Sorry to hear about your departure, but sounds like you'll be back in the U.S. just in time to pick up an M4 GTS.
Absolutely! Apparently they're only going to produce 750 of them, so am going to need to pull the trigger fast

Last edited by Mortis; 04-20-2015 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #12
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Nice write-up and thanks for sharing your impressions. I am sad to hear you need to part with your car . What you experienced is typical PSS. They are just not able to sustain the heat and abuse on a dry track. That softer compound outer portion just melts and chunks away. Glad our on-line babbling was some help to you .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #13
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherM4n View Post
Nice work! Sorry to hear about having to let the car go. Thanks for showing your car to me at Road Atlanta last month; picked mine up yesterday as a matter of fact. Hope to see you at a track again sometime...
Congrats! Enjoy the beast, and see you out there sometime soon!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #14
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodengun View Post
Awesome! Did you take any driving courses before tracking? I'm gonna take CCC through my BMWCCA chapter and do some autocross before tracking. Been doing a few sessions of karting too (the little karts that top out at around 35-45 mph).
I think that's a great way to go - I got a full hour on the skid-pad before my first solo run, and man was it worth it !
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:18 PM   #15
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

thanks for the write-up! glad you got to enjoy the car on track. I can't believe how wrecked the PSS get after some lapping. yikes. seems like a trend, but glad it didn't ruin your drive home.

good luck with your new job/location!

Appreciate 0