E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > TCKR Koni Coilover kit, without Swift springs

04-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

TCKR Koni Coilover kit, without Swift springs

Hello all,
I understand that HPA used to sell the TCKR Koni coilover kit with Swift springs. However, TCKR does not source their shocks alone anymore (so HPA couldn't combine Swift springs with this kit), and come with their own springs. Does anybody have experience with this updated kit, without the Swift springs? I've been told that these TCKR springs are very comparable but would like your opinions!

Thanks in advance,
Kagan
      04-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
As far as I know TCK white springs are their own proprietary springs that are alot like swift

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #3
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
As far as I know TCK white springs are their own proprietary springs that are alot like swift
I've heard this is true, but was hoping for others to verify or give their testimonials. I'll be pulling the trigger on this kit if that's the case, despite the lack of Swift springs!!
      04-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anybody with this kit? =O
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
I was going to go with TCKline but decided to try Ground Control coilovers, instead, with Eibach linear springs. I wanted a different setup that had a higher spring rate, and since TCK only went up to 700# spring rate in the rear, I went with GC at 440# front and 800# rears.

Since then, the ride has been phenomenal. I intend to so some HPDE track time so I went with the stiffer setup along with M3 suspension bits front and back, as well as the beefier M3 anti-sway bars.

All I can say is the performance is phenomenal. Swifts are great, but Eibachs are good for now. I intend to move to Swift springs in the future, but for now, Eibachs will do. No NVH, none, whatsoever.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
I was going to go with TCKline but decided to try Ground Control coilovers, instead, with Eibach linear springs. I wanted a different setup that had a higher spring rate, and since TCK only went up to 700# spring rate in the rear, I went with GC at 440# front and 800# rears.

Since then, the ride has been phenomenal. I intend to so some HPDE track time so I went with the stiffer setup along with M3 suspension bits front and back, as well as the beefier M3 anti-sway bars.

All I can say is the performance is phenomenal. Swifts are great, but Eibachs are good for now. I intend to move to Swift springs in the future, but for now, Eibachs will do. No NVH, none, whatsoever.
Thanks for the feedback. I have run 2 HPDE's and several autocrosses with the bimmer (never realized how SHIT the suspension is until then!!) What did that setup end up costing you? Looks like I might be one of the few (only? lol) to try the TCKR setup without the swift springs!
      04-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #7
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
I run TCKLine SA's. They come with their own TCKLine camber plates. I would not mess with the springs and mix and match components. This TCKLine kit is designed very very well.
      04-25-2015, 10:41 PM   #8
Bladerunner
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

I just received my TCK coil-over kit with camber plates, I plan on installing them next week sometime. I'm just waiting on m3 sub bushings and sway bar to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 11:13 PM   #9
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalih View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have run 2 HPDE's and several autocrosses with the bimmer (never realized how SHIT the suspension is until then!!) What did that setup end up costing you? Looks like I might be one of the few (only? lol) to try the TCKR setup without the swift springs!
You're very welcome. I have attached two links:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/.../II=843/CA=172

http://www.ground-control-store.com/.../II=809/CA=172

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #10
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Springs are just springs. as long as they have consistent spring rates through out the compression range, they are all the same essentially. The weight saving that some companies claim would be very minimal unless they are not using steel based materials (Ti for example, but I have yet to see them being used in automotive applications).

I would go with the Swift spring for the rear axle if possible. TC Kline uses 2.5" rear springs while the adjustable spring perch itself is more like 2" in its outer diameter. They still fit just fine when the suspension is loaded. But the springs cwould clunk around when it is unloaded, especially TC Kline kit doesnt use helper springs at all for the rear and the spring length is actually just a bit shorter than the suspension travel length at full droop...

Seems like they just piece together whatever is available from existing parts catalogue instead of making the properly sized springs and spring perches... While I haven't noticed it to be an issue on mine yet, but it is definitely an sub optimal design for sure, especially when most other mid to high end coilovers uses properly sized springs and the necessary helper springs to prevent the springs from unseating itself at full droop. I would upgrade to properly sized Swift springs with the appropriate helper springs if I would to buy this kit new.

Last edited by Cloud9blue; 04-26-2015 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 11:46 PM   #11
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Springs are just springs. as long as they have consistent spring rates through out the compression range, they are all the same essentially. The weight saving that some companies claim would be very minimal unless they are not using steel based materials (Ti for example, but I have yet to see them being used in automotive applications).

I would go with the Swift spring for the rear axle if possible. TC Kline uses 2.5" rear springs while the adjustable spring perch itself is more like 2" in its outer diameter. They still fit just fine when the suspension is loaded. But the springs cwould clunk around when it is unloaded, especially TC Kline kit doesnt use helper springs at all for the rear and the spring length is actually just a bit shorter than the suspension travel length at full droop...

Seems like they just piece together whatever is available from existing parts catalogue instead of making the properly sized springs and spring perches... While I haven't noticed it to be an issue on mine yet, but it is definitely an sub optimal design for sure, especially when most other mid to high end coilovers uses properly sized springs and the necessary helper springs to prevent the springs from unseating itself at full droop. I would upgrade to properly sized Swift springs with the appropriate helper springs if I would to buy this kit new.
This is good information. I was thinking the same...and I've heard when not under full load they can clank around a bit. I believe I might just go with koni yellows (whites in rear for external damping adjustability) and swift spec R Springs. Only reason I considered the coilovers was because I didn't want an extreme drop that couldn't be adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #12
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post

I am assuming you have the TC Kline Koni coilover kit? It's possible to buy this kit, and buy the Swift springs separate, but it wouldn't be cost effective as the coilover springs would be of no use. Again, I am trying to figure out whether the drop with the Swift Spec R springs isn't significant over stock sport suspension on the e92. If this is true, I will pair them with Koni yellows in the front and whites in the rear for external damping adjustability. The coilover kit is appealing only because of the lesser drop when the height is adjusted correctly.
      04-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #13
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalih View Post
I am assuming you have the TC Kline Koni coilover kit? It's possible to buy this kit, and buy the Swift springs separate, but it wouldn't be cost effective as the coilover springs would be of no use. Again, I am trying to figure out whether the drop with the Swift Spec R springs isn't significant over stock sport suspension on the e92. If this is true, I will pair them with Koni yellows in the front and whites in the rear for external damping adjustability. The coilover kit is appealing only because of the lesser drop when the height is adjusted correctly.
I have TC Kline double adjustable coilover (http://store.bimmerworld.com/tc-klin...ems-p1234.aspx). Not the same shocks, but I believe the springs are the same though

You could just buy rear springs by themselves. Swifts arent the only one selling the springs. Bimmerworld sells some Hypercoil ones with the right ID as well.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/springs...overs-c33.aspx

No need to purchase new rear spring perches either. Since the TC Kline ones look identical to these (60mm OD).

http://store.bimmerworld.com/bimmerw...rch-p2024.aspx
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
SeanS54
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 ZCP

The TC Kline kits are perfect out of the box. I recommend 350 front and 700 rear springs for light/med track use.

I happen to be running 672 rear swift springs because I had the set laying around.
Appreciate 0