E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Where can I buy second key/remote at a discount?

04-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

Where can I buy second key/remote at a discount?

I recently purchased a 2010 335D that has only one remote and key. I know that the only way to buy a replacement is to order it. My research tells me that the cost of a replacement is around $300.
Can someone tell me a dealership or other source to purchase a new key and remote at a discount price lower than $300. I live over 70 miles from the nearest BMW dealership. I am looking for a dealership that I can send my proof of ownership, VIN, and payment and have them send me the new key. Since I will be doing this by mail, I don't care where the dealership is located. Who knows of a dealership that is willing to sell parts at a discount.?

Who has bought a new key recently for a 335D for less than $300? Please let me know three things if possible.

1) When you bought the key/remote
2) How much you paid
3) Contact information where you bought the key/remote name of dealer with city and state or better their phone number.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 02:28 AM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

My understanding, but not experience, is that you can get any key (the FCC ID must be the same) and have it flashed to your car. I may be wrong, so please correct me if that is so. This info came from an indy BMW place. There are a few places on eBay that sell used keys with blank manual inserts too. I would call up a few good indy BMW-specific places around to see if they can program a used key for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

This posting about keys applies to our 335D cars. Other years and models may be different.

I have been researching a new key for about a month. What I understand is that the BMW ECM (Engine Control Module) is programmed from the factory to accept 10 key codes . Once the 10 key codes are used (10 keys), the ECM has to be changed.

The procedure to get a key is as follows: You provide the dealership with your proof of ownership and VIN. The dealership contacts BMW North America and provides BMW with the VIN of the vehicle that needs a key. BMW North America enters the VIN into their data base to look up the unused codes for your vehicle. They then cut a physical key and program the immobilizer chip in the remote with one of the codes your car will accept. BMW then sends the new key to the dealership and the dealership give you your new key that works with your car. You may have to initialize the remote to get it to work with your car.

It is also my understanding that you can not reprogram a used key remote to start your car. There are two reasons for this. First, the immobilizer chip in the used remote is programmed to another car and can only be programmed once. It can not be reprogrammed. Second, BMW will not give out the codes so you don't know what the code is.

I don't know for sure if the next statement is true or not. Please let me know if someone has successfully done it. Please don't say you know if it can be done because you heard it. Lets find out if someone has been successful. If you did not do it yourself, state that you think it can be done. Only say it is a fact if you have actually done it. I think it may be possible to get a used remote and reprogram it to lock and unlock your doors. It just won't be able to start your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
nuclearbeef
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I bought a new key from the dealer after purchasing my used 335D.

If I recall, it was @$300 for the whole key; but I think I paid about half that for the "key" without the "key".

I got the electronic, black, plastic part of the key and did not order the actual metal key insert. Dealer programmed it for another $20 or so.

So, I only have one physical, stick it in the key-hole key, but two key fob/remotes.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

You can get cheap ones on ebay. That's not the issue here. It has to be programed, usually by the dealer. They will not do it for free. Even if it is not labor intensive (which is not), they like to charge a lot for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
What_A_D
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

I was told by my dealer that as long as you don't have the comfort ( wireless recognition of the remote) that all you need to do to program a regular new remote is insert it in to the key slot of your car. I would at least try this before paying a dealer to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 12:47 AM   #7
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

That would negate having a key for your car.
I can break a window, insert a key and drive off.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
What_A_D
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k
That would negate having a key for your car.
I can break a window, insert a key and drive off.
I believe the appropriate method is to put your working key in the key slot...hit the ignition button...power off...and then insert the new key within 30 seconds...I believe there are a few other steps to try as well if that doesn't work.
Appreciate 0