Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

04-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
m4mehdi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 - 2019 X4 M40i

Question Fellas - NOVA Ticket

Hey Guys,

I live in Loudoun county and the cops there/here seem to be pretty chill (for the most part) until I got my M4, now left and right... I get pulled over, "sir, where is your front plate", "sir, you are going too fast", "sir, please don't flip us off" and so on...

But couple weeks ago I was driving my truck and I got pulled over for failure to obey highway sign (speeding), I tried explaining to the officer that I made a left turn from one of the streets and from the point that I made the left turn to the point he caught me speeding there were no visible speeding signs and that the ticket has no merit, politely of course. I have a good driving record and he really didn't seem to care...

So my question is, should I take this to court or should I just pay the fine and suffer the aftermath of insurance and the other pleasantries?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe4real View Post
Hey Guys,

I live in Loudoun county and the cops there/here seem to be pretty chill (for the most part) until I got my M4, now left and right... I get pulled over, "sir, where is your front plate", "sir, you are going too fast", "sir, please don't flip us off" and so on...

But couple weeks ago I was driving my truck and I got pulled over for failure to obey highway sign (speeding), I tried explaining to the officer that I made a left turn from one of the streets and from the point that I made the left turn to the point he caught me speeding there were no visible speeding signs and that the ticket has no merit, politely of course. I have a good driving record and he really didn't seem to care...

So my question is, should I take this to court or should I just pay the fine and suffer the aftermath of insurance and the other pleasantries?
If you have the time, go to court. 2 points here; 1) the cop might not show up thus your ticket will be thrown out. 2) facing the judge and telling your story will most likely not get you off the hook but if your driving record is clean, he/she will probably drop the points from 3(or whatever the point are for speeding) to a lower number thus saving your insurance premium from going up for speeding. Don't ask how I know!
      04-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #3
m4mehdi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
If you have the time, go to court. 2 points here; 1) the cop might not show up thus your ticket will be thrown out. 2) facing the judge and telling your story will most likely not get you off the hook but if your driving record is clean, he/she will probably drop the points from 3(or whatever the point are for speeding) to a lower number thus saving your insurance premium from going up for speeding. Don't ask how I know!
Do you think it's worth getting a lawyer, I really feel like I have been cheated in this one and this is coming from a guy who has done jail time for speeding in my past life... but my argument is, although I could guess the speed limit, I wasn't being given an IQ test nor was I being questioned about how well my memory works, the law should be black/white not this gray BS... (sorry for the rant) ////
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
Do you think it's worth getting a lawyer, I really feel like I have been cheated in this one and this is coming from a guy who has done jail time for speeding in my past life... but my argument is, although I could guess the speed limit, I wasn't being given an IQ test nor was I being questioned about how well my memory works, the law should be black/white not this gray BS... (sorry for the rant) ////
Represent yourself! Wait, how far over were you going?
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
m4mehdi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMrMark View Post
Represent yourself! Wait, how far over were you going?
LOL, far man!
But the truck wasn't lifted back then so I am not sure that would have helped my case!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well you didn't land in jail so I'd guess you weren't in reckless driving territory so I'd say no need for a lawyer, unless you have a rack of points and are looking at being pooled by your insurance company, then I'd lawyer up before walking in. They can cut backroom dealers with the prosecutor before you even see the judge. Again don't ask how I know.
      04-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
m4mehdi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller
Quote:
Well you didn't land in jail so I'd guess you weren't in reckless driving territory so I'd say no need for a lawyer, unless you have a rack of points and are looking at being pooled by your insurance company, then I'd lawyer up before walking in. They can cut backroom dealers with the prosecutor before you even see the judge. Again don't ask how I know.
LOL since this is the second time you said that I have to ask how do you know.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL since this is the second time you said that I have to ask how do you know.
Didn't I ask...not to ask!

No, but seriously, I was looking at a possible "surrender a license" in another state for exceeding top limits while on my way to FL some years back when I was foolish, young, dumb and...well you get it! Was never told to get a lawyer but I figured there was no way I was walking into a southern court, an out of towner from up north, and leave it all up to my good looks and chance that I could lose my license. Result, had a deal done before hitting the courtroom with a local lawyer and the DA. Worth every penny.
      04-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #9
m4mehdi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Didn't I ask...not to ask!

No, but seriously, I was looking at a possible "surrender a license" in another state for exceeding top limits while on my way to FL some years back when I was foolish, young, dumb and...well you get it! Was never told to get a lawyer but I figured there was no way I was walking into a southern court, an out of towner from up north, and leave it all up to my good looks and chance that I could lose my license. Result, had a deal done before hitting the courtroom with a local lawyer and the DA. Worth every penny.
I know bro, lawyers can be helpful at times.. at times!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #10
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
...I have a good driving record and he really didn't seem to care...

Quote:
Do you think it's worth getting a lawyer, I really feel like I have been cheated in this one and this is coming from a guy who has done jail time for speeding in my past life...

I'm not sure these two statements are reconcilable.
      04-27-2015, 05:15 PM   #11
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

I don't know if this applies to where you live but when I lived in NC there is a city wide speed limit unless otherwise posted. There are also signs that clearly state this. Look into that if your argument is going to be 'there was no speed limit sign posted'
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #12
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
I don't know if this applies to where you live but when I lived in NC there is a city wide speed limit unless otherwise posted. There are also signs that clearly state this. Look into that if your argument is going to be 'there was no speed limit sign posted'
It is here as well, good point.
      04-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #13
rymiller73
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Note to self....stay away from Loudon...
      04-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #14
robertg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Note to self stay away from Va PERIOD. The harshest traffic laws in the area.

A place where if the posted speed limit is 70 mph and you get caught doing 10/11 over it's reckless which is counter to most reckless driving for doing 20 mph over.

I have my speed limit reminder on my M3 set at 79 mph just because of VA.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #15
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
I'm not sure these two statements are reconcilable.
He's got you there Snipe4real

but yeah... maybe if you're stressed, just snag a traffic atty, see what they can manage. You probably walk away with something decent, or like others have said maybe the cop doesn't even show to the courtroom. I don't think they are that expensive at the end of the day anyway.

Good point made about the "standard" speed limits, I had forgotten all about that.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #16
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
A place where if the posted speed limit is 70 mph and you get caught doing 10/11 over it's reckless which is counter to most reckless driving for doing 20 mph over.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Appreciate 0