E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > paint defect? PIC

02-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
npb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BS 335i

paint defect? PIC

I have 2 silver dollar size spots on my BS 08 335i. One of them is smack dab in the middle of the driver side door and the other, just behind the driver side door handle, on the driver side rear passenger door (pic). Clearcoat is smooth as glass to the touch in these spots so I can rule out wax residue, swirls/scratch, etc. It even appears to be under the clear coat. I know the pic isn't the greatest but up close it looks as if someone smushed their face against the paint and left face oils behind....

Any advice on what to do? I guess I could take it back to the dealer but I really don't want them to send the work out to a body shop simply because I feel there is a bit of a lack of quality control. Should I request they replace the entire door? Car only has 2500mi on it and I discovered these spots a few days after taking delivery.

Please excuse the condition of the car... between being a full time student, working 25+hrs/week valet'ing at a five diamond hotel, and having a girlfriend, can't seem to find much time for even a wash these days.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by npb; 02-05-2008 at 03:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

sent ya a PM
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

It could be leftover wax residue, or that coating they use when shipping. Wash the car or atleast those spots and try cleaning it with some isopropyl alcohol, that might do the trick. Just make sure you rewax as the alcohol will take your wax off.
Appreciate 0