THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Protecting and Enhancing Matte finishes

05-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Protecting and Enhancing Matte finishes

I got my new M235i with the satin black vinyl rocker panel decals and the matte black M Performance Rear diffuser. When I waxed the car for the first time, I was careful about not getting any wax on these black parts. The wax is Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax, a synthetic polymer, and the instructions say "NOT recommended for use on flat, matte, or satin finishes."

But you can't really wax the paint where it meets the rocker panel decal without getting wax on the decal, so I just didn't wax the rocker panel at all. It's fairly easy to avoid getting wax on the rear diffuser, but you do have to be careful.

I don't like the solution of not waxing the rocker panel at all.

I'm not really sure why the Meguiar's wax is specifically not recommended for matte or satin finishes. I have some other wax, Collinite 476S, which is very high quality, and supposed to be almost like a sealant. The instructions on the Collinite do not mention matte/satin finishes at all.

Does anyone here have a product to recommend for use on matte black finishes like these? Hopefully it would be a product that is not going to hurt either the gloss paint or the matte finish, since it's going to be next to impossible to apply to one without getting some on the other...
      05-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

303 Aerospace Protectant might help with that. Makes the black pop, without the shine/slippery look
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

The above recco' works fine as well as Griot's Vinyl Protectant. Won't hurt paint and makes any matte or black decal, or for ex. the lower plastic bits on the X3 glow and leave protection.

If you are concerned about the wax on paint NOT getting onto other surfaces, then just do the detailers habit of masking off any surface you wish to protect either from the wax itself or an orbital machine. That'll do it...more work of course but solves your first concern.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:03 PM   #4
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

You can put either a sealant or a wax on the decal. It will not hurt it. While vinyl coatings offer some short term temporary protection, wax/sealants will last longer. However a polymer based sealant is the the easiest way to go. They leave no white residue on the edge which is typical of a carnauba based wax.

Use your Meguiars, you'll be fine. The warning they have is legal-ease to protect them from people inappropriately applying wax to custom matte/satin paint finishes which can alter the way they look.

Here is my decal protected with a polymer based sealant.