F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Should i change my oil??
Studio RSR

05-06-2015, 12:53 AM   #1
sawachika_eri
Registered
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: r56, F30

Should i change my oil??

hello everyone, my bmw has still been running for less than 100km on the odometer

But the alert to changing oil already pops up due to its date

The dealer will do it for free, but should I change it or wait for 1000km?

thanks in advice
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
kyoko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80, G01

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Bring it into the dealer to change. It's 1 year or 10,000/15,000 miles depending on what year your car is.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
themush1326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

I am seeing an alert when the cart starts to change my oil in 4900(was 5000) miles or 5/2015.

My one year isn't to August and I have 5K on my car, am I do for an oil change or not?
The service person on the phone didnt really seem to know. Isnt it based on driving not a set time or distance

I do drive in a lot of stop and go traffic

thanks

themush
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

No. It has been suggested that more frequent oil changes increases the rate of deposit formation on the backsides of the intake valves. The idea is that the naturally occurring volatile compounds found in fresh oil are the contributing factor.

Google NOAK and intake deposits.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
No. It has been suggested that more frequent oil changes increases the rate of deposit formation on the backsides of the intake valves. The idea is that the naturally occurring volatile compounds found in fresh oil are the contributing factor.

Who has suggested that? I have never heard anyone say that. Deposits on valves is due to the same thing they have always been due to, oil residue from lubricating the seals. In non-DI engines cleaners can be delivered through the fuel, using gas with residue fighting additives or a fuel additive in crap gas regularly would clean them.

Carbon buildup occurs in all engines, DI engines have a "problem" with them because there is no way to clean them off without direct cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Google NOAK and intake deposits.

Ok, I did that.

Nothing came up within 2 pages that said anything about LONGER oil changes to prevent buildup.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/intake...di_engines.htm

Quote:
How to reduce carbon deposits on GDI Intake Valves

How fast the intake valves get dirty does not seem to be a function of fuel quality or how much ethanol alcohol is in the gasoline. Rather, it appears to be influenced most by how often the engine oil is changed. Oil vapors and combustion byproducts that are drawn back into the intake manifold through the PCV system seem to contribute most to carbon deposits on the intake valves.

My advice is to change your oil every 3000 miles if you only do short trip stop-and-go city driving, or change your oil every 5000 miles if you do mostly highway driving. If you want to minimize carbon buildup on the intake valves, don't push your oil change intervals to 7500 miles or longer unless you are using a high quality full synthetic oil (which usually has less volatility than conventional motor oil).

Changing your oil regularly will help minimize the carbon buildup on the valves, but eventually they may still get dirty. If that happens, it may be necessary to clean the valves every 25,000 to 30,000 miles with an aerosol cleaner that is sprayed into the intake manifold.

http://oil-synthetic.com/noack-volatility-test/

Quote:
The more motor oil vaporizes, the thicker and heavier it becomes, contributing to poor circulation, reduced fuel economy and increased oil consumption, wear and emissions.
The NOAK test measures vaporization amount, and measures how quickly that oil begins to vaporize more under wear and age.

Vaporization on the valves causes the buildup, as oil gets old it vaporizes easier......longer oil changes is actually the exact OPPOSITE of what you want to do.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
Who has suggested that? I have never heard anyone say that. Deposits on valves is due to the same thing they have always been due to, oil residue from lubricating the seals. In non-DI engines cleaners can be delivered through the fuel, using gas with residue fighting additives or a fuel additive in crap gas regularly would clean them.

Carbon buildup occurs in all engines, DI engines have a "problem" with them because there is no way to clean them off without direct cleaning.

Ok, I did that.

Nothing came up within 2 pages that said anything about LONGER oil changes to prevent buildup.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/intake...di_engines.htm

http://oil-synthetic.com/noack-volatility-test/

The NOAK test measures vaporization amount, and measures how quickly that oil begins to vaporize more under wear and age.

Vaporization on the valves causes the buildup, as oil gets old it vaporizes easier......longer oil changes is actually the exact OPPOSITE of what you want to do.
The lighter fractions found in new oil vaporize earlier that's what you want to worry about.

The NOACK Volatility Test, otherwise known as ASTM D-5800, determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high-temperature service.[1] The more motor oils vaporize, the thicker and heavier they become, contributing to poor circulation, reduced fuel economy and increased oil consumption, wear and emissions.

Our oil has a low NOACK to begin with but still you shouldn't change early and often. Bad. bad. bad.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line

Last edited by F32Fleet; 05-16-2015 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #7
themush1326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

My Service message showed due in 5000 miles or 5/2015, I called BMW they told me 1 year at least and I was reading it wrong

I told them are they sure it isnt due at the end of May, they said no it isnt.
On June 1, well what do you know, I get a service overdue notice.

I bought my car in August 2-14 and it has 5500 miles on it
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 04:52 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

A KIA is not a BMW. And why would you post this on a 7 year old thread? I believe I smell approaching spam.
Appreciate 0