F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Rear brake pad sensor tripped
Extreme Powerhouse

05-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Hi guys,

How long do I have after the rear pad sensor tripped before I run out of pad? 500 miles safe to drive?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
Depends on what you're doing

I had a brake pad wear sensor trip on track and 2 laps later the brakes were metal to metal

Normal highway (not crazy hills) driving, you're probably good for 500 miles - just know if you hear it start making noise, you just bought yourself a new rotor

Also - our cars only have 1 sensor per axel - so you only know what the passenger side rear brake pad depth is (i.e. it just tripped the sensor). You have no clue on the driver side without getting down there and checking. Point being if your passenger side one tripped, the driver side (potentially) could be almost gone.

one thing my track experience above taught me though is the car stops just fine with just the backing plate on the rotor
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenigma View Post
Depends on what you're doing

I had a brake pad wear sensor trip on track and 2 laps later the brakes were metal to metal

Normal highway (not crazy hills) driving, you're probably good for 500 miles - just know if you hear it start making noise, you just bought yourself a new rotor

Also - our cars only have 1 sensor per axel - so you only know what the passenger side rear brake pad depth is (i.e. it just tripped the sensor). You have no clue on the driver side without getting down there and checking. Point being if your passenger side one tripped, the driver side (potentially) could be almost gone.

one thing my track experience above taught me though is the car stops just fine with just the backing plate on the rotor
Thanks! I'll be changing the rotors anyways so I guess nothing to worry about too much!
Appreciate 0