F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > TSB /// Steering: Increased steering effort required
Studio RSR

05-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

TSB /// Steering: Increased steering effort required

Just a heads up, I recently learned of a new TSB when my electric assisted steering went out a couple day ago. Luckily it happened immediately after I cranked the car and never left the driveway.

However, if this had happened while driving could have been dangerous. I had the car towed to McKenna BMW in Norwalk but even trying to drive it around their parking lot after pulling it off the flatbed was difficult.

Based on what I learned, there are ground wires to the power steering pump that can become crimped disabling the electric assist. The TSB states that the ground wires have to be replaced. I would recommend taking your car into service and having the dealer take a look. Charlie Kim @ McKenna here in SoCal always takes care of me and was able to get my car back to me within a day.
      05-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
To be clear, our cars don't have a power steering pump - the ZF electric assist steering rack in our cars is an electric motor attached to the steering rack by a worm drive

Likely the ground to the motor went out

Do you have the details of the TSB - like the number or affected models and build dates?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenigma View Post
To be clear, our cars don't have a power steering pump - the ZF electric assist steering rack in our cars is an electric motor attached to the steering rack by a worm drive

Likely the ground to the motor went out

Do you have the details of the TSB - like the number or affected models and build dates?
Right it was to the motor.

I'll have to find out what all was affected, but mine is a 2013 335i M Sport.