M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

05-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
bruza
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 & '06 Volvo S60 R

Greenville/ Spartanburg, SC Area Thoughts?

I was just made aware of a job opportunity that I'm considering posting for in the Upstate South Carolina Area.

I haven't spent much time there and wanted to solicit some feedback from those who have.

Main things I'm curious about:
1. Climate
2. Cost of living/ Housing
3. Schools
4. Entertainment
5. Crime

2021 M5 Competition Marina Bay Blue/ Individual Tartufo/ Individual Piano Black Trim. Took delivery 11/27/2020
2017 X5 ///M Silverstone/Mugello Red/ Carbon Fiber Trim Turned in 11/27/2020

Last edited by bruza; 05-08-2015 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 07:29 AM   #2
deltalima0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

South Carolina has the most golf courses there is a reason for that. The climate is nice you get a feel of all 4 seasons and it is very green with lots of trees and lakes.

Dirt cheap compared to WA I am sure a 300k home here is like a mansion for most and most homes here are 3000 sq feet at the minimum side.

Schools not sure of where you will be but if you are in an area where there is money I am sure it will be fine.

Greenville/Spartanburg is nice it is younger and progressive.

Crime is probably low comparative to other states.

N54 World Record ET: 10.721 | Best MPH 130.92
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
bruza
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltalima0 View Post
South Carolina has the most golf courses there is a reason for that. The climate is nice you get a feel of all 4 seasons and it is very green with lots of trees and lakes.

Dirt cheap compared to WA I am sure a 300k home here is like a mansion for most and most homes here are 3000 sq feet at the minimum side.

Schools not sure of where you will be but if you are in an area where there is money I am sure it will be fine.

Greenville/Spartanburg is nice it is younger and progressive.

Crime is probably low comparative to other states.
I appreciate the feedback. Thanks. I don't have kids now but am also thinking out a few years. From what I've seen so far, the Eastern side of Greenville is nice.

2021 M5 Competition Marina Bay Blue/ Individual Tartufo/ Individual Piano Black Trim. Took delivery 11/27/2020
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
Givol
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine White M5

I haved lived in Spartanburg for 7 years. Nice climate with lots of sunshine. 3 hrs to the coast and 1 1/2 hr to the mountains. Spartanburg has zero traffic whic is why I like it. Greenville had way better food and night life than sleepy Spartanburg. Easy access to big cities like Charlotte and Atlanta. cost of living is great. schools ISP in the upstate are very good, but those in the lower part and mid bring SC average way down. entertainment is very good in the Greenville area. Broadway shows 5 times a year, plus concerts etc. Again close to big southern cities. crime is generally not bad except in bad areas. The criminals tend to steal or kill each other.

as far as driving. Lots of curvy mountain road, BMW performance center open to bmw sc chapter 2 times a year, local track 2 hrs away Carolina motorsports park.
good luck in your decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
bruza
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givol View Post
I haved lived in Spartanburg for 7 years. Nice climate with lots of sunshine. 3 hrs to the coast and 1 1/2 hr to the mountains. Spartanburg has zero traffic whic is why I like it. Greenville had way better food and night life than sleepy Spartanburg. Easy access to big cities like Charlotte and Atlanta. cost of living is great. schools ISP in the upstate are very good, but those in the lower part and mid bring SC average way down. entertainment is very good in the Greenville area. Broadway shows 5 times a year, plus concerts etc. Again close to big southern cities. crime is generally not bad except in bad areas. The criminals tend to steal or kill each other.

as far as driving. Lots of curvy mountain road, BMW performance center open to bmw sc chapter 2 times a year, local track 2 hrs away Carolina motorsports park.
good luck in your decision.
Thanks. Great feedback here too. I decided to apply. Now hoping for some good news.

Are the ///M guys pretty active there as far as meets and drives?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Grenville/Spartanburg is a great place to live - for many of the reasons others have mentioned. Greenville especially is becoming known for their emerging food/beer scene. Really a model city for economic growth and development, but also maintaining the small town feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
bruza
Major
Rep

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, this job fell through as the position was offered to someone else.

I did get to spend a few days in Greenville when I went out for the interview. Nice area.

Appreciate 0