F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OT Loan/Hire Car
ARMA SPEED

05-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

OT Loan/Hire Car

My son's 1 month old 1 series has developed a airbag/restraint system fault and is now on its 3rd visit to the dealers.

On Thursday the fault returned but now the airbag light stays on and with the Idrive also saying it has a restraint system fault and advises in contacting a BMW dealer, which he did and they told him to contact BMW emergency services and told him not to drive the vehicle.BMW emergency services arranged collection of the car and said they would get Enterprise cars to delivery a hire car to him.

Enterprise cars will not insure anybody under the age of 25 years so would not give him a car and told him to contact BMW again.
After several calls to BMW they told him that there is nothing they can do but offered to pay him up to £50 per day for a hire car up to a maximum of 4 days,but as you can guess he can't get a hire car!

I spoke to the dealer and the diagnostic equipment is telling them it is the control module but as they have already replaced this they think it is a wring fault and will need to take the dash out to investigate further so can't tell me how long they need the car for.

Regarding a loan car from them there insurance only allows over 21's and I suggested my son puts the loan car on his insurance but they were unhappy to do this.

My son needs a car for work and doesn't have access to one and Public transport is very poor and taxi's are very expensive due to distance they have to travel to us as we live in rural Devon.

He bought a new BMW as he needs a reliable car for work which now has backfired.

Has anybody got any idea's regarding a hire car or has anybody had a similar problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian335xd View Post
Regarding a loan car from them there insurance only allows over 21's and I suggested my son puts the loan car on his insurance but they were unhappy to do this.
This does seem the obvious solution, so I suggest you talk to the Dealer Principal about this. If the insurance is comprehensive, they shouldn't have an issue.

As you say, having bought a new BMW he should expect to remain mobile. It is up to them to find a solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
Andy30D
Captain
British Antarctic Territory
Rep
Drives: 330D M sport fully loaded

Seek legal advice, my view is that if a rental car or loan car from the dealership is not supplied fully insured based on age this is ageism and needs tobe dealt with as such.

Being 19 or 90 has no effect, end of the day they have provided you with a new but faulty car.

Failing that seek legal advice on leaving the agreement (if it is pcp) or refund if it was a cash buy.

Write to them stating this and they should provide you a loan car.

May seem strong and legally I'm not sure how you would stand but the threat of it tends to do the trick.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6
Quote:
This does seem the obvious solution, so I suggest you talk to the Dealer Principal about this. If the insurance is comprehensive, they shouldn't have an issue.

As you say, having bought a new BMW he should expect to remain mobile. It is up to them to find a solution.
I agree, whenever I get a courtesy car from bmw they give me the option of putting it on my insurance!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

3 times in the first month of ownership and then the problems with a hire car?

I'd be seriously considering my legal options regarding returning the car. Doesn't sound fit for purpose to me!
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
Andy30D
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post

I'd be seriously considering my legal options regarding returning the car. Doesn't sound fit for purpose to me!
+1

Dealership needs to retrieve a digit and do something.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post

Same.

You would expect the dealership to 'sort' something and not just sit back.

Need to highlight how was sold a car that is unsafe.

Failing not to fix a mandatory safety device and putting owners life at risk.

I believe (I could be wrong).
Unless there is something in the emergency cover bit about age, then it's a breach of contract.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Think you can get a hire car for youngsters. Looked at one for my son via Internet search with one of the big companies. Can't remember which unfortunately

Did cost an arm and a leg. About £500 per week for a piece of cheese like a fiat 500

But that still think BMW should do more !!!!!

After all you've paid for a car you can't use !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
Andy30D
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Same.

You would expect the dealership to 'sort' something and not just sit back.

Need to highlight how was sold a car that is unsafe.

Failing not to fix a mandatory safety device and putting owners life at risk.

I believe (I could be wrong).
Unless there is something in the emergency cover bit about age, then it's a breach of contract.
Mr brigand talks sense here, OP fight it and go on strong, the dealership will be scared of the big words and potential cost and bend over for you!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #10
bill1718
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i ///Msport

why dont you just get him a loaner your name
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #11
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1718
why dont you just get him a loaner your name
You still have to put him on the insurance!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #12
HB14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 330d 2015

Can't quite understand the Enterprise contractual term part for age. I am under 25 and have had 7 hire cars, ranging from 530d to Vauxhall Insignia. This has all been arranged through BMW Emergency services after I've reported a fault. I have had the question, are you over 25? To which I say no and they have never raised a problem. Clearly someone isn't telling your son the right information.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 12:29 AM   #13
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB14 View Post
Can't quite understand the Enterprise contractual term part for age. I am under 25 and have had 7 hire cars, ranging from 530d to Vauxhall Insignia. This has all been arranged through BMW Emergency services after I've reported a fault. I have had the question, are you over 25? To which I say no and they have never raised a problem. Clearly someone isn't telling your son the right information.
Thanks very interesting,do you know what age you were when you first hired a car?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 02:47 AM   #14
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

that's bollox! Enterprise insured my wife (21 - at the time) on a 330d a few months back now...

Try being the 1st driver yourself and add him as the second.

If they insist on a no no, there is two ways you could have a car with Enterprise:

1st: you get them to provide you a BMW and get your own insurance to cover you on the car temporarily which they would do.

2nd: ask Enterprise to provide a non premium car, which they should be able to provide upto group D, which is the Golf, Astra, Focus equivalent.. This is the easiest way and they should give you no hassle at all.

They can then bill BMW for Group D pricing around (£20 Per Day) instead of a Small Premium which is around (£50 per day)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 03:27 AM   #15
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435dx Msport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I agree, whenever I get a courtesy car from bmw they give me the option of putting it on my insurance!
Hi, yes they ask me the same question but depends who you are insured with as most will not cover someone else's vehicle due to insurance interest issues. They state the garage must insure it.

However I would recommend you go to www.tempcover.com who provide temporary cover for vehicles. I have just had a play with it and quoted a 19 year old on a Devon postcode for a BMW 116 and was quoted £49.31 per day which seems to be within the BMW budget?

Give them a try. You can buy immediately online and shouldnhopefullynhelp you in your situation.

Regards

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 03:42 AM   #16
General
No_Country
Rep

Had a thought about this while out with the dog this morning.

My view on this is..

It's a BMW support issue, they have a product that is unsuitable for the customer.

Their standard support contract with Enterprise is (according to them) not suitable.

BMW (dealer or UK) should now step in and have BMW's own insurance cover the customer for a car provided by BMW (dealer or UK).

It's a crap example of customer after sales support and all it takes is someone with some common sense and balls to rectify.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #17
HB14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 330d 2015

Quote:
Thanks very interesting,do you know what age you were when you first hired a car?
I was 21 and it was only in October and since then I've had further vehicles from Enterprise.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #18
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Update...

I contacted BMW customer services who I can only say are utterly useless and was a waste of phone call of which lasted 20 mins.

All Simon from customer services kept saying was the supplying dealer should have informed us at the point of sale that no one under 21 can have a loan car if we had problem with out car and it also states this in the warranty book,I asked him to email this to me but "he said he hasn't got access to email!" and then also stated that the booklet he had got in front of him related to Bikes as he couldn't find the car one!

I told him I have had over 20 BMW's and had been very happy with them but in a stroke my opinion of BMW as a brand had changed just because of his unhelpful manner and then said I wanted to reject the car as it wasn't fit for purpose and he said I need to speak to my supplying dealer regarding this.

I also said that he needed to retrain all his dealers regarding this and to put up notices in the showroom to this effect to warn all under 21's about this but he said this was unnecessary as they had all the necessary training already!!!

I realised I was getting nowhere so I asked to speak to his boss and he said he would get her to ring me in the next 24hrs but I said I wanted this resolved in the next hour not 24!!.

I also spoke to the BMW dealer who have got the car regarding a loan car and won't insure my son or let him transfer it on to his!! and can't find the fault with car and are waiting for a response from BMW on how to proceed.

I then decided to contact the dealer who supplied the car and explain the situation and they said they would look into it and get back to me and within 30 mins I had a phone call saying that they had checked with there insurance company and as my son's car was in for a repair he was insured on there loan car's and a driver was on his way to deliver it to my son's work place.

Result!!

All I can say is don't contact Customer Services...waste of time and I will not be using my local dealer again!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #19
General
No_Country
Rep

Pleased you eventually got a result 'their'
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #20
roshambo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Sport

If it doesn't get fixed this time round I'd take it back with the keys for a full rejection.

Glad he's got a car to use in the meantime though, not a nice experience at all.
      05-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #21
E60MKF
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 MY2013

Quote:
Update...

I contacted BMW customer services who I can only say are utterly useless and was a waste of phone call of which lasted 20 mins.

All Simon from customer services kept saying was the supplying dealer should have informed us at the point of sale that no one under 21 can have a loan car if we had problem with out car and it also states this in the warranty book,I asked him to email this to me but "he said he hasn't got access to email!" and then also stated that the booklet he had got in front of him related to Bikes as he couldn't find the car one!

I told him I have had over 20 BMW's and had been very happy with them but in a stroke my opinion of BMW as a brand had changed just because of his unhelpful manner and then said I wanted to reject the car as it wasn't fit for purpose and he said I need to speak to my supplying dealer regarding this.

I also said that he needed to retrain all his dealers regarding this and to put up notices in the showroom to this effect to warn all under 21's about this but he said this was unnecessary as they had all the necessary training already!!!

I realised I was getting nowhere so I asked to speak to his boss and he said he would get her to ring me in the next 24hrs but I said I wanted this resolved in the next hour not 24!!.

I also spoke to the BMW dealer who have got the car regarding a loan car and won't insure my son or let him transfer it on to his!! and can't find the fault with car and are waiting for a response from BMW on how to proceed.

I then decided to contact the dealer who supplied the car and explain the situation and they said they would look into it and get back to me and within 30 mins I had a phone call saying that they had checked with there insurance company and as my son's car was in for a repair he was insured on there loan car's and a driver was on his way to deliver it to my son's work place.

Result!!

All I can say is don't contact Customer Services...waste of time and I will not be using my local dealer again!
How come the car isnt with the supplying dealer for the repair?
BMW F30 MY2014 2014-2015
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #22
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60MKF View Post
How come the car isnt with the supplying dealer for the repair?
BMW emergency services collected the car and took it to the nearest dealership to us and as we have upto to now been pleased with there service we didn't see a problem with that,but in future all my cars will go to the other dealer due to there excellent custom service
Appreciate 0