THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing track day - prep

05-10-2015, 11:23 PM   #1
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

track day - prep

I'm looking to do a track day. I'm not looking to turn my car into a race focused machine and lose the daily driver friendliness, but I do want to prep it the best I can. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is what I'm thinking:

-Change brake lines to Champion SS
-Flush fluid to Motul 600
-Change brake pads to? R4-S, RS-29? (these can be track focused pads as I'll change them back to stock after)
-Tires/rims (currently have stock Pirelli 225 square)...Not looking to break the bank but I would like a summer tire set
-Camber plates? Based on some posts it looks like these help with evening out tire wear. Are there any drawbacks with them?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 12:26 AM   #2
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper83 View Post
I'm looking to do a track day. I'm not looking to turn my car into a race focused machine and lose the daily driver friendliness, but I do want to prep it the best I can. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is what I'm thinking:

-Change brake lines to Champion SS
-Flush fluid to Motul 600
-Change brake pads to? R4-S, RS-29? (these can be track focused pads as I'll change them back to stock after)
-Tires/rims (currently have stock Pirelli 225 square)...Not looking to break the bank but I would like a summer tire set
-Camber plates? Based on some posts it looks like these help with evening out tire wear. Are there any drawbacks with them?

Thanks.
If this is just going to be an every so often thing, just do the fluid change and maybe the ss line swap. The stock pads are fine with decent fluid. Everything else you should wait on if you want to make this a more than ever so often thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #3
mike@tpc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white M235i

yes, I would say no reason to upgrade the pads when not using slicks. I just did a full day on stock pads and the pilot supersports at Atlanta Motor Speedway and the stock was good enough for these tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the responses.

I plan to do a summer set of tires and rims regardless of track time. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
mike@tpc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

the pilot super sports are great. I also like Advan Neova AD-08
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper83 View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I plan to do a summer set of tires and rims regardless of track time. Any suggestions?
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017577
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #7
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M4

I agree with the gentlemen above. I love the PSS and the Dunlop Direzza II are really good too!

Last edited by Iceman51sn; 05-11-2015 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: oops
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman51sn View Post
I agree with the gentlemen above. I love the PSS and the Dunlop Direzza Sports are really good too!
My problem with the PSS for the track is:

1) sidewall is soft so you need to run 40+ psi in the front to prevent rollover
2) they are staggered so not much you can do rotation wise... you could move the right front to the left front but that's about it
3) because of the little camber it will eat your outside shoulders... simplest fix is http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1079766 unless you want to do camber plates

As great the PSS is for the street, I wouldn't buy a PSS as a dedicated track tire... get the Direzza II, Hankook RS3's... I got the Bridgestone RE-71R but haven't run them yet
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #9
mike@tpc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
My problem with the PSS for the track is:

1) sidewall is soft so you need to run 40+ psi in the front to prevent rollover
2) they are staggered so not much you can do rotation wise... you could move the right front to the left front but that's about it
3) because of the little camber it will eat your outside shoulders... simplest fix is http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1079766 unless you want to do camber plates

As great the PSS is for the street, I wouldn't buy a PSS as a dedicated track tire... get the Direzza II, Hankook RS3's... I got the Bridgestone RE-71R but haven't run them yet
that is true, now that you mention it. most of the upper lettering on my front tires is gone after a track day at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 10:17 PM   #10
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@tpc View Post
that is true, now that you mention it. most of the upper lettering on my front tires is gone after a track day at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
exactly.... the tires even have an arrow pointing up that shows the limit where it should wear....
now I can only see the arrow on the rear wheel
Attached Images

Last edited by pikcachu; 05-11-2015 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #11
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M4

Quote:

Would like to hear your opinion on the Bridgestone when you get a chance to run them!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #12
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
exactly.... the tires even have an arrow pointing up that shows the limit where it should wear....
I wish mine looked that good. These were mine after euro delivery and a day at spa.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #13
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
I wish mine looked that good. These were mine after euro delivery and a day at spa.
that's not good! although some of the m3/m4 guys have actually corded the outer edge of their MPSS after a single weekend.... i think the camber is the issue because i've seen some cars run MPSS just fine and it sounds like some of the m235i guys do okay on them as well.

OP - the stainless lines is something that sounds good in theory but i didn't notice any benefit in my e46 m3 when i did them.... once the rubber lines start to get dry looking i'd do them, but that will probably be a while from now on these new cars that being said some people absolutely swear by them... i won't ever do them again unless the lines need to be replaced.

DOT4 brake fluid is another thing it seems like people swear by and i always advocated until recently when i found a guy who has tracked his e9x and now f8x M cars HARD only ever using stock fluid. i think the biggest thing is that it's fresh though and free of debris/air/water. i use ATE fluids, not the more expensive stuff because i haven't had a problem with it and it's not a big deal to use it over the OEM fluid so it's an easy thing to "upgrade".

track pads are a nice thing to have and if you'll be swapping them out and have the cash, go for it. i'm sure you could probably get a few track days in on the stock pads especially if you manage your pads (shorter braking periods .. dragging them and having a longer braking period will generate more heat and less time for cooling between braking zones) and cut back on top speed on some of the straights.

i'm not an expert or an instructor but i have read around a lot and done a number of events myself in different cars. the best thing you can do is just get out there and have fun, use an instructor and keep yourself hydrated and well rested. after going out for a weekend you'll be able to see what deficiencies you think your car has and what you want to upgrade. maybe brakes. maybe tires. maybe both. maybe a set of racing seats and harness bar (if they have them on this car?).

take everyone's input and see what works best for you, have fun!

Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #14
mike@tpc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
thats pretty much what mine look like. Been thinking about selling the car, but I guess I will have to get new tires first.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #15
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
damn.... you were way under inflated...

you really need 41-42 hot in the front.... if you were running the stock 32psi that's what killed them
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #16
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@tpc View Post
thats pretty much what mine look like. Been thinking about selling the car, but I guess I will have to get new tires first.
Mike, I almost sold the car, it was a total disappointment out of the box.

That being said, camber plates, LSD, jb4 and sway bars, suspension, and proper track tires and I am in love. Have to be happy modding though.

To give you perspective I track at least 40 days a year and have access to drive many many cars. With the mods it's a rewarding car to drive, I can fit the track tires in the back and still use it when the wife wants to go to dinner.

I can't think of another car I can do all this in. I could get a smaller lighter car but I would be back to trailering (no where to put tires) or another dedicated car which will get me back into racing and make the cost of this look like buying a used yugo.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #17
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
damn.... you were way under inflated...

you really need 41-42 hot in the front.... if you were running the stock 32psi that's what killed them
Nope, what you really need is camber plates and track tires. Super sports are only good in rain. That roll over is at about 43-45 psi front. Did not have time or money to change tires on euro delivery. On the plus side they did last 2 days at spa and a day at the ring 😀
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #18
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
... camber plates, LSD, jb4 and sway bars, suspension, and proper track tires and I am in love. Have to be happy modding though.
Which camber plates did you choose, and how have they fared?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 10:00 PM   #19
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Nope, what you really need is camber plates and track tires. Super sports are only good in rain. That roll over is at about 43-45 psi front. Did not have time or money to change tires on euro delivery. On the plus side they did last 2 days at spa and a day at the ring 😀
ya camber plates will do it, but if they ended up like that at 43psi I think you were coming too hot on the turns... but I'm no professional racing driver
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 11:24 PM   #20
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Mike, I almost sold the car, it was a total disappointment out of the box.

That being said, camber plates, LSD, jb4 and sway bars, suspension, and proper track tires and I am in love. Have to be happy modding though.

To give you perspective I track at least 40 days a year and have access to drive many many cars. With the mods it's a rewarding car to drive, I can fit the track tires in the back and still use it when the wife wants to go to dinner.

I can't think of another car I can do all this in. I could get a smaller lighter car but I would be back to trailering (no where to put tires) or another dedicated car which will get me back into racing and make the cost of this look like buying a used yugo.
To be fair, almost all street cars need work out of the box to do track duty. Yeah, the car eats tires without some camber, but what car doesn't? Even the M3 and M4 eat front tires without some modification.

I've done my fair share of modifications (and really like them), but the car was definitely capable out of the box. It just wasn't a race car (and wasn't designed to be). If you want to go that route (like I -- and it seems like you -- did), then more power to you. But I don't think it's a defect in the car. Except a the lack of a real LSD as standard. That's pretty lame.

In any event, the car does lend itself to modification pretty well. Mike, if you want to modify, the car can become very, very special. It just needs some TLC. Hell, my list (so far) is:

Camber plates
Springs
Exhaust
Brake lines
Brake fluid
Brake pads
LSD (with gear ratio change)
P3 gauge (oil temps)
Track wheels
Track tires
Harness

There's definitely more to come (sway bars, then some power upgrades), but the car is a freaking blast now. And very capable on track.

Last edited by Liquidpaper; 05-14-2015 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #21
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
ya camber plates will do it, but if they ended up like that at 43psi I think you were coming too hot on the turns... but I'm no professional racing driver
Pikcachu,

funny you say that, I did some damage to them, but most was done by a pro driver who won Sebring in GTLM class a few times.....
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #22
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the additional info.

Are there any drawbacks to camber plates?

I'm going to keep my current 225 square Pirelli setup for winter so I will likely get a good set of summer tires (too much money to go designated track tires plus summers at this point). Any suggestion on a good set of inexpensive 18" rims would be appreciated. It looks like stock tire size call for a 245/35-18. Tirerack only shows the PSS in this size as an option for the tires mentioned in this thread, unless I'm missing something. Also, does anyone know the difference between the PSS and the PSS BMW besides $47?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0