F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Shockware - Brilliant
Studio RSR

05-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Dinan Shockware - Brilliant

Because of feedback on the BMW forums, I ordered DHP for my car without having the chance to test drive a car with DHP because the dealers in my area did not have any DHP-equipped cars in stock. As mentioned in other posts, I'm really glad I got DHP for both the adaptive suspension and also the variable steering. The only thing I don't like about DHP is that Comfort mode is too soft and floaty (for lack of a better term).

Well I fixed the soft and floaty part today by having Dinan Shockware installed on my car. What a difference! Comfort mode is excellent now. It is pretty close to the old Sport mode, but a bit more subtle over rough road surfaces. The new Sport mode is stepped up a notch over the old Sport mode. More importantly, the new Sport mode seems more balanced and less busy. I haven't tried Sport+ yet.

If you have DHP and are not completely happy, Shockware should be a consideration. As others have said, $500 is a pretty cheap price for a suspension mod.

Thanks to the folks at Dinan.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Comfort mode is soft and floaty???? Please give me your dhp because mine in comfort mode isn't soft or floaty. I would love to have that ability. My comfort is less aggressive than sport...and slightly softer than sport in terms of suspension. I would love to dampen out the crazy roads and potholes we have here. I want comfort to be more softer. In sport the suspension its stiff and hard. I almost stopped using it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

I'm still waiting, car has been at the dealer for over an hour, they said they have never done one on a diesel (I have no idea why that would matter to the suspension), but Dinan said it should work and the dealer agreed to try. But it's supposed to be a "quick" install and they still haven't told my wife anything ARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
Comfort mode is soft and floaty???? Please give me your dhp because mine in comfort mode isn't soft or floaty.
Soft and floaty may not be the best term, I mean ultimately it's all subjective anyway. I can say I do not prefer the COMFORT setting, it's just not AS responsive. As soon as I am in the car I hit the button for SPORT, unless I'm going on a long distance highway cruise then I may drop it to ECO.

So basically, if you are like me, you have a setting you never use. If the Dinan software makes COMFORT into SPORT and makes SPORT more "track ready" LOL, then why not? Now you have a range of settings you will actually use.

Glad to hear you can feel a difference at least sygazelle. Crossing my fingers for mine.....
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
... As soon as I am in the car I hit the button for SPORT, unless I'm going on a long distance highway cruise then I may drop it to ECO.

So basically, if you are like me, you have a setting you never use. If the Dinan software makes COMFORT into SPORT and makes SPORT more "track ready" LOL, then why not? Now you have a range of settings you will actually use.....
If you use ECO, then you use the Comfort suspension setting.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm still waiting, car has been at the dealer for over an hour, they said they have never done one on a diesel (I have no idea why that would matter to the suspension), but Dinan said it should work and the dealer agreed to try. But it's supposed to be a "quick" install and they still haven't told my wife anything ARGH

Soft and floaty may not be the best term, I mean ultimately it's all subjective anyway. I can say I do not prefer the COMFORT setting, it's just not AS responsive. As soon as I am in the car I hit the button for SPORT, unless I'm going on a long distance highway cruise then I may drop it to ECO.

So basically, if you are like me, you have a setting you never use. If the Dinan software makes COMFORT into SPORT and makes SPORT more "track ready" LOL, then why not? Now you have a range of settings you will actually use.

Glad to hear you can feel a difference at least sygazelle. Crossing my fingers for mine.....
I don't know why diesel would matter either. I am lucky enough to live near Dinan in Mountain View so I took my car there to have Shockware installed. In and out in 30 minutes.

For me, Shockware made Comfort mode useful. I couldn't be happier.

I hope your install goes well. Let us know.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
Comfort mode is soft and floaty???? Please give me your dhp because mine in comfort mode isn't soft or floaty. I would love to have that ability. My comfort is less aggressive than sport...and slightly softer than sport in terms of suspension. I would love to dampen out the crazy roads and potholes we have here. I want comfort to be more softer. In sport the suspension its stiff and hard. I almost stopped using it.
It's really puzzling to hear different owners describe comfort mode. You say it should be softer, another poster on the other forum thinks Comfort mode even after the Shockware install is too soft and rides like a Honda. I think it was too soft before Shockware and just right after the install.

We are probably all correct. Maybe our cars have different software versions for Comfort mode or we are on different tires and springs. Maybe we just have different expectations and tastes in driving dynamics.

We are being true to this forum's legacy. Even on the most black and white points, we have posters who will have a different view on virtually everything. That's what makes it fun.

If you think its too harsh for the roads in your area, maybe you are a good candidate for go flat tires. Its possible that some of the harshness is brought to you by those run flat tires BMW sells with their cars.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
If you use ECO, then you use the Comfort suspension setting.

HighlandPete
Um, yes. But I don't put it in ECO for the suspension, I do it for the drivetrain. In those cases, long highway cruises, the drivetrain improvements are more 'necessary' than the suspension settings so the compromise is reached.

If I COULD get ECO drivetrain and SPORT suspension I would.

Wait.....I can, it's called Dinan Shockware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I hope your install goes well. Let us know.
Just got the text from the wife, install is complete. I will let you know what I think after I drive it, and it will be track tested on Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #8
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Um, yes. But I don't put it in ECO for the suspension, I do it for the drivetrain. In those cases, long highway cruises, the drivetrain improvements are more 'necessary' than the suspension settings so the compromise is reached.

If I COULD get ECO drivetrain and SPORT suspension I would.

Wait.....I can, it's called Dinan Shockware.

ECO drivetrain with Sport chassis would be great. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think Shockware will do that for you.

Glad your install is complete. Can't wait to hear your impressions after track day on Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1, i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
ECO drivetrain with Sport chassis would be great. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think Shockware will do that for you.

Glad your install is complete. Can't wait to hear your impressions after track day on Saturday.
I think he is saying "sport" as in the upgraded comfort setting
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #10
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichighley View Post
I'll have to try it out, but I think chassis setting for Eco Pro with Shockware is not upgraded the same as Comfort. As I was driving home from Mountain View, I was going through the settings and it seems that Eco Pro chassis is much softer than the Comfort mode. I'll drive it again and confirm.

It would be cool if you could get Sport suspension with EcoPro. It would also be cool to get Sport steering tightness with the Shockware Comfort mode. Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
GAS428
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i grand coupe M Sport

Quote:
I'll have to try it out, but I think chassis setting for Eco Pro with Shockware is not upgraded the same as Comfort. As I was driving home from Mountain View, I was going through the settings and it seems that Eco Pro chassis is much softer than the Comfort mode. I'll drive it again and confirm.

It would be cool if you could get Sport suspension with EcoPro. It would also be cool to get Sport steering tightness with the Shockware Comfort mode. Dinan?
When I talked to Dinan about it they said they did not touch the ECO mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #12
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS428 View Post
When I talked to Dinan about it they said they did not touch the ECO mode.
That makes sense. When I was driving home from the install, I thought Eco Pro chassis felt the same as before.

It would be nice to have the option of EcoPro trottle and Sport chassis. It would also be nice if Dinan could mess with the Steering so you could have Sport steering with Shockware Comfort Mode. Heck, I'd vote for Sport steering in all modes!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 05:36 AM   #13
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I like the idea of COMFORT damper behavior being retained in ECO PRO. This results in DHP having 3 different levels/modes with Shockware.
      05-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I like the idea of COMFORT damper behavior being retained in ECO PRO. This results in DHP having 3 different levels/modes with Shockware.
Would be a better job than BMW, if 3 modes are really available with Shockware.

Is this actually fact as I can't see any reference to this in Dinan's product description? Would be a good selling point if it really does add an extra suspension mode.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #15
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:

Is this actually fact as I can't see any reference to this in Dinan's product description? Would be a good selling point if it really does add an extra suspension mode.

HighlandPete
3 modes with Shockware:

1. ECO PRO retains the original COMFORT damper behavior

2. COMFORT now has the original SPORT damper behavior

3. SPORT/SPORT+ (and DSC OFF?) now has Dinan's new damper behavior.
      05-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #16
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:

HighlandPete
3 modes with Shockware:

1. ECO PRO retains the original COMFORT damper behavior

2. COMFORT now has the original SPORT damper behavior

3. SPORT/SPORT+ (and DSC OFF?) now has Dinan's new damper behavior.
Your description of #2 doesn't match other threads. Specifically, it is said that shockware doesn't just make comfort the old Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #17
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichighley View Post
No, I was assuming the new "comfort" would be used in ECO as well.

But that's not that big of a concern.

Personally I find the steering with DHP perfectly fine. It's responsive and quick, just have to get used to the "dead" feeling since there's no psychical feedback from the wheels. I wouldn't mind if Dinan had a "track" steering setting so I could make hairpin turns with less input, but that's a wish list item.

Hopefully it doesn't rain on Saturday, forecast says likely to in the afternoon. We'll hit the track no matter what but won't get a good feel for the limits.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Just had a quick look across a few forums and it seems some users are even saying Shockware raises Sport+ to another level again. So what are the facts? Dinan's web site is vague and even references a "Normal" mode on the F30 page, which is definitely not applicable to the F30 models.

Anyone know of a factual product guide for the F30, which definitely (clearly) explains if there are 2, 3 or 4 different damper maps within Shockware.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #19
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Just had a quick look across a few forums and it seems some users are even saying Shockware raises Sport+ to another level again. So what are the facts? Dinan's web site is vague and even references a "Normal" mode on the F30 page, which is definitely not applicable to the F30 models.

Anyone know of a factual product guide for the F30, which definitely (clearly) explains if there are 2, 3 or 4 different damper maps within Shockware.

HighlandPete
Yeah it'd be nice to know as I have both the Shockware and Springs. Can't say I feel a difference between Sport and Sport +.
      05-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #20
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Yeah it'd be nice to know as I have both the Shockware and Springs. Can't say I feel a difference between Sport and Sport +.

I don't have the spring upgrade and I can't feel any difference between Sport and Sport + either.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #21
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
The "Normal" setting is now tuned to be the "Sport" setting. The big change is when the BMW is set to "Sport" as that is the new DINAN high performance programming.

I interpret the above quote from Dinan to be that the "Normal" mode is actually COMFORT.... So COMFORT is what SPORT mode is stock. Both SPORT and SPORT+ use Dinan's new damper programming. As-per another post, Dinan "didn't touch ECO PRO" so this sounds like the original COMFORT damper behavior is retained in ECO PRO. I will have Shockware installed in the next few weeks and will be able to confirm for myself then.
      05-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The "Normal" setting is now tuned to be the "Sport" setting. The big change is when the BMW is set to "Sport" as that is the new DINAN high performance programming.

I interpret the above quote from Dinan to be that the "Normal" mode is actually COMFORT.... So COMFORT is what SPORT mode is stock. Both SPORT and SPORT+ use Dinan's new damper programming. As-per another post, Dinan "didn't touch ECO PRO" so this sounds like the original COMFORT damper behavior is retained in ECO PRO. I will have Shockware installed in the next few weeks and will be able to confirm for myself then.
I follow your reasoning, but as Eco-Pro doesn't have its own damper setting, (it uses the Comfort mode base programme), still leaves the question... has Shockware got 2 or 3 settings?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0