E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMWs love their batteries

05-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
parabola
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 VW GTI

BMWs love their batteries

Not E9X related, but people here complain (including myself) about battery registration and paying a fee to be done...how about a new battery with every oil change?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ns-bmw-n63-v8/
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola
Not E9X related, but people here complain (including myself) about battery registration and paying a fee to be done...how about a new battery with every oil change?

My X3 has a DEFA. It prevents this by plugging it in.

Of course is not as pronounced as in this case you posted, and it does have KERS too.

BMW should buy the company, and install it in the factory.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 10:31 PM   #3
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Just read that R&T article. Damn that's bad....

A replacement battery every oil change.
      05-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #4
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Lol. Sadly I'm glad they got smacked in the face.
      05-12-2015, 01:48 AM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Does it seem they are using there customers for

Does it seem they are using there customers for Lab Rats
without questioning what they want at higher and higher rates.
Run Flat tires and turbo problems with the n54 engines being another
example.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 06:25 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Okay, I found this funny:

BMW of North America has recognized a number of N63 components with high failure rates, including timing chains that stretch and snap, leaking crankcase ventilation and fuel lines, and malfunctioning fuel injectors, mass airflow sensors, and vacuum pumps. Rather than waiting for them to break, BMW NA is proactively replacing the parts with improved components through its shrewdly named Customer Care Package, or CCP. This is not a recall, because recalls address vehicle safety. Instead, BMW says, the CCP represents its "commitment to the long-term reliability of our most technologically advanced products." It is undeniably a good customer service move.

Since when the fuck did a broken valve train, which can stop an engine anywhere (like at 60 MPH on a freeway with a semi bearing down on you) not be a safety issue. LOL. BMW.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:01 AM   #7
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post

...another stupid anti-BMW rant.

1. if you cannot afford a battery registration then you cannot afford this car. Go and buy a Lexus or a Mazda or whatever.

2. the original BMW batteries on E9x work just fine. There are people on this forum with ~7-8 years old original batteries... w/o any problem whatsoever. The problems begin when you have to change these old batteries...I am wondering why?! Think about it...
Illiteracy award winner of the month. Kudos!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
parabola
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG View Post

1. if you cannot afford a battery registration then you cannot afford this car. Go and buy a Lexus or a Mazda or whatever.

2. I don't know about N63's problems but I know the original BMW batteries on E9x and F10 work just fine. There are people on this forum with ~7-8 years old original batteries... w/o any problem whatsoever. The problems begin after you have to change these old batteries... why? Because the original German BMW batteries are made by VARTA ( not available on the North American market) while the average quality of the batteries sold here is very low ( including the american specific BMW OEM batteries that are made by Exide). Then you have people that cannot afford a BMW replacing their batteries in the backyard w/o registering them properly.
I'm hitting the used Lexus lot today, lol. No one said anything about E9x batteries not working fine..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #9
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

This is one of the reasons why I'm glad I have a N52. Yes, it's slow, but I have a means of going significantly faster if I feel the need for speed. I was never a fan of the auto start/stop features (it feels like something broke), but it seems that's the trend as well.

As for my battery, e90 build in 2006, and i'm STILL on my original battery. I had some difficulty with cold cranks this winter (sub 10 degree temperatures, sometimes below 0), but beyond that, no issues whatsoever (with my battery).

I do agree, a new battery with every oil change is ridiculous...
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:57 AM   #10
Bamsterman68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 sDrive28i ///M-Sport

The statement made by R&T that the vehicle needs a new battery at every oil change is incorrect. It is at oil change #2 that BMW recommends changing the battery.

And lets really look at this: If the people who can afford these N63 equipped vehicles can not afford a battery when the vehicle is out of warranty, then they should not have one.

If you can't afford to maintain it, don't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #11
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:

2. I don't know about N63's problems but I know the original BMW batteries on E9x and F10 work just fine. There are people on this forum with ~7-8 years old original batteries... w/o any problem whatsoever. The problems begin after you have to change these old batteries... why? Because the original German BMW batteries are made by VARTA ( not available on the North American market) while the average quality of the batteries sold here is very low ( including the american specific BMW OEM batteries that are made by Exide). Then you have people that cannot afford a BMW replacing their batteries in the backyard w/o registering them properly.
Lexus is in the same price range as BMW, so that didn't make much sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #12
parabola
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsterman68 View Post
The statement made by R&T that the vehicle needs a new battery at every oil change is incorrect. It is at oil change #2 that BMW recommends changing the battery.

And lets really look at this: If the people who can afford these N63 equipped vehicles can not afford a battery when the vehicle is out of warranty, then they should not have one.

I don't think that's the argument here, whether someone can pay for it or not...it's the level of stupid over-engineering that boggles my mind.
For miniscule increases in efficiency they add all these complex systems...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:40 AM   #13
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
I don't think that's the argument here, whether someone can pay for it or not...it's the level of stupid over-engineering that boggles my mind.
For miniscule increases in efficiency they add all these complex systems...
I agree with you 100%. For a company they pride itself on "efficientdynamics", it shows itself to be pretty inefficient. Having to change your battery every 2 oil changes is pretty much a major step back when it comes to efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #14
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

I wonder how much worse it is for the environment to have all the extra used batteries generated vs. the tiny savings in fuel.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #15
Bamsterman68
Lieutenant
Rep

As everyone knows, the 7 series is BMW's flagship car. They introduce 90% of their new technology on this car. The E65/66 were horrible cars. BMW fixed those issues with the F01/02 while carrying some of that technology to the F10. Sadly, they created new issues in the process...Now the G11/12 is being released with A LOT of new tech...buyer beware.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:55 AM   #16
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsterman68

Dumbest logic ever seen.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
I wonder how much worse it is for the environment to have all the extra used batteries generated vs. the tiny savings in fuel.
Lead recycle time is in weeks vs. carbon dioxide recycle time back to oil in the millions of years.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #18
Bamsterman68
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche View Post
Dumbest logic ever seen.
How so? I can afford to buy an older Porsche. But I can not afford what it will cost to maintain a Porsche. So I'm not going to buy one.

I see people everyday come in with an E65/66 that need significant repairs and can not afford it. They buy the car for $10k, but the parts for it are still priced as if it was a $100k car.

Cost of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #19
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsterman68 View Post

Are you seriously that dumb? So replacing a battery every 20k miles is considered normal to you? I don't think so. Its not maintaining a car when there is a design flaw.

Unfortunately BMW is caught in a lose-lose situation here. They can fix the root cause for a certain cost while dealing with expensive lawsuits. Or they don't fix it and they they have to pay for the cost of batteries every oil change or 2 while avoiding the lawsuit path. Seems like replacing the batteries was a cheaper alternative.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #20
335iAP
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 & F26

Quote:

This is a bad take. Doesn't matter how much you pay for a car, bad design is bad design. Whether you can pay for it is a different question over whether you should pay for it. And you shouldn't have to.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 09:12 AM   #21
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsterman68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche View Post
Dumbest logic ever seen.
How so? I can afford to buy an older Porsche. But I can not afford what it will cost to maintain a Porsche. So I'm not going to buy one.

I see people everyday come in with an E65/66 that need significant repairs and can not afford it. They buy the car for $10k, but the parts for it are still priced as if it was a $100k car.

Cost of ownership.
What's dumb is talking about something ludicrous as cost of ownership.

By your logic it would be acceptable to replace a 1000 dollar battery every gas fill-up too. "Only own it if you can afford it".

Cars that need tire replacement every 50 miles.
That do 1mpg.
And so on.

It's ridiculous and unacceptable and should be treated as such.

BMW is not in a business where owners would pay anything to have one of its cars no matter what.

Not even exotics have the same requirements. And they are treated as jewelry.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #22
Bamsterman68
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
Are you seriously that dumb? So replacing a battery every 20k miles is considered normal to you? I don't think so. Its not maintaining a car when there is a design flaw.

Unfortunately BMW is caught in a lose-lose situation here. They can fix the root cause for a certain cost while dealing with expensive lawsuits. Or they don't fix it and they they have to pay for the cost of batteries every oil change or 2 while avoiding the lawsuit path. Seems like replacing the batteries was a cheaper alternative.

Do I think its normal? No. But that doesn't change the fact that the battery is recommended to be replaced.
Appreciate 0