E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 electrical problems?

05-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
lawl2ez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Mineral White 328i

E92 electrical problems?

Hi all

I have a 2011 e92 328i coupe. Couple months ago, 30 days out of warranty (25k miles UNDER warranty, only 25k miles put on the car in 4 years), check engine light comes on, along with a frequent "battery discharge" warning light. Took it to the dealer, they diagnosed it as faulty valvetronic eccentric shaft sensor for the engine light and faulty IBS cable for the battery problem. Took 3 weeks and numerous calls to the dealership as well as BMW NA, dealer agrees to a 95/5 split cost and a goodwill repair. That seemed to solve the issue

Anyway, now that the weather's warmed up in Ann Arbor Michigan, the high battery discharge light doesnt come on anymore. However yesterday, I was driving home in some rain, and the rain sensing wipers stopped working. Then the passenger restraint system warning light came on. Meanwhile the radio and everything else is working fine. I drove the car home and checked the repair bill. The dealer never changed the IBS cable! On actual repair day, after they agreed to a 95/5, apparently, after re-reading the bill, they diagnosed the battery problem to be "needing a new battery." Of course the SA never told me about that. I just assumed they repaired everything they told me they were going to.

Anyway, my question to you guys is: Can an IBS sensor problem cause these symptoms? (intermittently appearing warning lights regarding tire pressure malfunction and passenger restraint system, faulty rain sensor)

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
dbond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

IMHO, You "battery discharge" warning message was caused by short trips (low milage for the age). Dealer took the proper route by replacing the dead battery. Get a battery tender before the new battery dies again. I don't think IBS is to blame here otherwise it would manifest itself almost immediately.
For the restraint system warning and wipers get the codes read with a BMW specific scanner (INPA, ISTA/D etc). There is no point in playing the guess it game.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
lawl2ez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Mineral White 328i

The dealer never replaced the battery, just wrote in tiny font "need new battery" but I see your point. I'll get the error code read. Thanks!
Appreciate 0