E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Front lip not sticking

05-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
Pawlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 N51

Front lip not sticking

So this is the third time I've installed this lip and for some reason the tape just will not stick. The second time, it unstuck on the highway and flopped around causing cracks which I've since repaired.

I'm using the red 3M outdoor mounting tape that everyone recommends. Looking at DIY's and videos, a single strip along the edge is suffice as this stuff is supposed to be quite strong. I noticed that only the very edge of the tape was making contact with the edge of the bumper so I put another layer on further back so it's thicker and that seemed to make contact and stick. I drove around for a couple days with no issues going up to around 90. However this morning, I checked and I'm able to stick a strip of plastic all the way through the edge meaning the tape seated further in isn't even making contact!

It seems like a single strip works for everyone else, Ive left it over night with tape and also two jacks to put pressure.

One thing which may be the issue is that the bottom of my bumper is extremely scratched up. I've sanded it down, it feels like I'm not able to put as much pressure through the lip onto the bumper for it to make a strong bond. Should I try to put the tape on the bumper first so that sticks well and then put the lip on?

Thanks, much appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Why not use some screws? Much more secure.

I used 6 self-tapping SS screws to secure my hamann lip and it has been rock solid. I have even scraped it a bunch of times on dips and drive ways and it will not move an inch.
      05-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
Pawlin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3 View Post
Why not use some screws? Much more secure.

I used 6 self-tapping SS screws to secure my hamann lip and it has been rock solid. I have even scraped it a bunch of times on dips and drive ways and it will not move an inch.
I have the screws from the bumper on in the back of the lip. Do you mean drilling extra holes towards the front?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
AceOnShake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Since you have a nice lip and wouldn't want it to fall off why not just put some screws underneath it. One on each side and then 3M where applicable. I had this issue on a different car and then drilled two small screws in it. I mean unless you're under the car you won't notice them. First time I did it with 3m I ran over my lip on the highway. Too much resistance at high speeds and it gave out.

I know for sure the dealer uses beta link adhesive for their spoilers and etc. They're almost impossible to come off very strong. I didn't go this route because I eventually wanted it removed. Members here have had good experience with that product.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawlin View Post
I have the screws from the bumper on in the back of the lip. Do you mean drilling extra holes towards the front?
Yea. My lip came with pre-drilled holes closer to the front but still underneath the car.

Also, did you use alcohol to wipe the area where the tape is going on beforehand? You want to make sure the area is dust and wax free, otherwise the tape won't last on there very long.
      05-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Use some ice cubes on it.

My lips always stick nicely when I lick a frozen pole.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
Pawlin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOnShake View Post
Since you have a nice lip and wouldn't want it to fall off why not just put some screws underneath it. One on each side and then 3M where applicable. I had this issue on a different car and then drilled two small screws in it. I mean unless you're under the car you won't notice them. First time I did it with 3m I ran over my lip on the highway. Too much resistance at high speeds and it gave out.

I know for sure the dealer uses beta link adhesive for their spoilers and etc. They're almost impossible to come off very strong. I didn't go this route because I eventually wanted it removed. Members here have had good experience with that product.
Sounds like extra screws are the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3 View Post
Yea. My lip came with pre-drilled holes closer to the front but still underneath the car.

Also, did you use alcohol to wipe the area where the tape is going on beforehand? You want to make sure the area is dust and wax free, otherwise the tape won't last on there very long.
Yes I did, sanded and wiped down with rubbing alcohol. I'm thinking of screws, but I would have to get the exact right length since if they're too long, it would protrude out of the lip of the actual bumper.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #8
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Screws for days. I must have 15 of them on the Kerscher lip, which hasn't moved at all.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #9
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

Interesting that this thread came up as I was just at home depot earlier to pick up a pack of 8 #8 x 1" hex head screws and also picked up 8 1 inch washers for my cps lip. Did you happen to sand the areas of the lip where you applied the 3m tape? I noticed in m0d--bargains video, they sanded the area of the lip where the tape will be applied.

These are the screws I picked up (borrowed the pic from another thread)

Last edited by StevenY.; 05-14-2015 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #10
Nicky92
Fastest 335 on Earth
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Give me the lip.

That'll solve it
E92 335i, 6MT- YouWish Single turbo, Precision 6466, Doc Race intake manifold w/port injection, Precision Raceworks coil packs and Stage 3 lpfp, 3.46 geared Mfactory LSD, VRSF 3.5" single exhaust, Toyo R888Rs, Spec Stage 3+ clutch, DSS axles, RTD shifter, Motiv, boost box and flex fuel, WOTBOX, MOTIV tuned...and much more
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #11
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I had the exact same issue with mine, fell off on a roundabout and ran over it too ...
Screws are the only way i reckon. They won't do much aesthetically to your bumper as its underneath and out of sight. Heck, you'll probably sand it down eventually by the number of scratches you have lol
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #12
SJ335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

You guys can't expect a lip to hold on with just tape and some small screws. I used tape and drilled holes all across underneath and used nuts and bolts. Lip won't budge at all. Pm me if you want pics
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #13
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ335i
You guys can't expect a lip to hold on with just tape and some small screws. I used tape and drilled holes all across underneath and used nuts and bolts. Lip won't budge at all. Pm me if you want pics
+1. It takes very little effort to completely pull the bumper, drill new holes, install bolts/nuts with large-area washers, and remount the bumper.

Allow a 1-2 hours for your first time removing/remounting the bumper, and far less if you have to do it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 12:00 AM   #14
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
If you plan on keeping the lip and bumper combo - Epoxy. No worrying ever again about them ripping off from a nasty curb.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 12:48 AM   #15
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

I used the existing holes and screw the lip, rubber flap and bumper on the original brackets.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 12:51 AM   #16
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 12:58 AM   #17
tekzhicuh
Rep
Drives: bmw

I know for sure the dealer uses beta link adhesive for their spoilers and etc.
      05-15-2015, 07:13 AM   #18
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Wash the area that you are going to be using the tape with Dawn dish soap. Let it stand on the surface for a while before rinsing off.

After it dries, then wipe the area down with isopropel alchohol (ie 91%).... do not use RUBBING ALCOHOL! It is 70% alcohol and ~25% OIL!

Not even 3m or Beta Link will adhere to an area that has been wiped down with Rubbing Alcohol.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 07:58 AM   #19
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

3M tape just isn't strong enough to hold a bumper lip on. Unlike using an epoxy or something, the adhesive on 3M tape is so thin that no matter how strong it is, if the surface isn't pretty much perfect, it will fail. So if you have scratches on your bumper, or dirt, or wax, it won't stick as well. I'd recommend screws/bolts and washers. If you don't use washers, the screws will just rip out. I used thin screws but bigger washers on my Kerscher lip.

I still have tape on mine to hold it up in one area, but screws are what keeps it from ripping off. Make sure you use heat on the tape. The adhesive is much more aggressive when it's hot. Then add pressure.

A long time ago, I owned a dash kit company and bought 3M tape in bulk since that's how dash kits install. After having to warranty a few kits for not sticking correctly, you figure out pretty quickly how the tape works and how to make it stick. They also make adhesion promoter which helps a ton (works great for vinyl wraps as well).
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #20
ML335is
Rep
Drives: 12 335is

I had this same issue. One thing that hasn't been mentioned and worked well for me is 3m adhesive promoter. They sell packets of this stuff relatively cheap. This along with heating the tape should get it to stick better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #21
Pawlin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Screws for days. I must have 15 of them on the Kerscher lip, which hasn't moved at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
+1. It takes very little effort to completely pull the bumper, drill new holes, install bolts/nuts with large-area washers, and remount the bumper.

Allow a 1-2 hours for your first time removing/remounting the bumper, and far less if you have to do it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ335i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
I had the exact same issue with mine, fell off on a roundabout and ran over it too ...
Screws are the only way i reckon. They won't do much aesthetically to your bumper as its underneath and out of sight. Heck, you'll probably sand it down eventually by the number of scratches you have lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
3M tape just isn't strong enough to hold a bumper lip on. Unlike using an epoxy or something, the adhesive on 3M tape is so thin that no matter how strong it is, if the surface isn't pretty much perfect, it will fail. So if you have scratches on your bumper, or dirt, or wax, it won't stick as well. I'd recommend screws/bolts and washers. If you don't use washers, the screws will just rip out. I used thin screws but bigger washers on my Kerscher lip.

I still have tape on mine to hold it up in one area, but screws are what keeps it from ripping off. Make sure you use heat on the tape. The adhesive is much more aggressive when it's hot. Then add pressure.

A long time ago, I owned a dash kit company and bought 3M tape in bulk since that's how dash kits install. After having to warranty a few kits for not sticking correctly, you figure out pretty quickly how the tape works and how to make it stick. They also make adhesion promoter which helps a ton (works great for vinyl wraps as well).
Thanks for the help. Looks like I'll be getting self taping screws or nuts/bolts.

I notice that if I put extra screws or nuts/bolts towards the front of the lip, I would need to get a perfect length so they don't protrude. Placement shown in my expert diagram below. I figure I would need to take the bumper off and might not even have enough room to reach in and put a nut on the bolt. Is this the placement you guys did? Any pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Wash the area that you are going to be using the tape with Dawn dish soap. Let it stand on the surface for a while before rinsing off.

After it dries, then wipe the area down with isopropel alchohol (ie 91%).... do not use RUBBING ALCOHOL! It is 70% alcohol and ~25% OIL!

Not even 3m or Beta Link will adhere to an area that has been wiped down with Rubbing Alcohol.
Why has noone ever specified the difference between rubbing and isopropyl... Thanks, this should be very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #22
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

The more screws, the better. I seriously must have used well over a dozen, and the Kerscher lip is less "substantial" than your CPS lip. The diagram above neglects the sides too much IMO. Go overboard, there's no harm that can come from over-doing it.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0