F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Lowering on xdrive
GetBMWParts

05-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63 coupe

Lowering on xdrive

Does anyone know what the implications are of lowering your xdrive car with coil overs? I was on another thread that just confused me. Buying a new set of 19s for my f30 and I wanted to drop it slightly in the process, but I have no experience doing that.

The plan is buying the coilovers and having the garage do the entire installation for me w mounting the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Jimminez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M-Sport

Not sure what your concerns are. You'll need to buy coilovers specific to the xDrive model and choose a shop who has done it before so they install them properly.

I have a xDrive and installed KW V2 coilovers and have had no issues.

Past - F31 M Sport Estoril Blue - Thread - Pic

Current - 2021 Audi RS6 Avant
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Coil overs is actually a preferred route then just getting lowering springs. The only caution is that if you end up having a suspension related issue which bmw can relate to the coilovers,it will not be covered. besides that just make sure you get the right part.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimminez View Post
Not sure what your concerns are. You'll need to buy coilovers specific to the xDrive model and choose a shop who has done it before so they install them properly.

I have a xDrive and installed KW V2 coilovers and have had no issues.
From another thread I was on,

"There are far more implications to lowering an xDrive car than you might imagine. For starters, you just wasted a bunch of money on dynamic handling if you opt to change the springs."

"There might not be a good option. Apparently there are mechanical reasons why BMW doesn't sell the xDrive with the 10mm lower sport suspension, and we don't know how well the adaptive m suspension will work with different springs."

Although this thread was from late 2012....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #5
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzflags View Post
From another thread I was on,

"There are far more implications to lowering an xDrive car than you might imagine. For starters, you just wasted a bunch of money on dynamic handling if you opt to change the springs."

"There might not be a good option. Apparently there are mechanical reasons why BMW doesn't sell the xDrive with the 10mm lower sport suspension, and we don't know how well the adaptive m suspension will work with different springs."

Although this thread was from late 2012....
Do you have adaptive suspension i.e. dampers? if so, installing coilovers would impact the dampers (I don't think you can have both). If you have adaptive suspension (or DHP), sticking with lowering springs is a better option. Although there aren't many options available yet.
Appreciate 0