THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning 228i with M Performance Exhaust

05-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a few

228i with M Performance Exhaust

This took longer than expected but here are a few teaser videos.

Car is stock with only f30/f32 M Performance Exhaust.

MUST LISTEN WITH SPEAKERS OR HEADPHONES.

I will be shooting it again with a better camera. The camera simply could not deal with processing the noise as it tried to 'fix' the sound and level it out and doesn't show how loud sometimes the pops and bangs are(this is obvious on loud upshift bangs and a loud backfire (afterfire actually) pop that happens in sport mode around 4k RPM - think "two-step STI" as my friend said lol.

Videos DONT DO IT JUSTICE. It sounds so much better in person. The upshift burps and upshift bangs are so much louder. I mean really loud outside of the car. Upshift bangs are loudest in Manual mode shifting around 4-5k RPM. People told me they heard me coming from blocks away slamming the gears in Manual Mode. Just listen to the burbles when giving a little gas.

There is SIGNIFICANT difference in how audible the exhaust sound is from DRIVERS seat vs. PASSANGER. The passanger still hears the burbles and bangs however, once in the drivers seat, everything changes. It becomes way louder and so much more enjoyable. My friend said "Now I understand why you like this so much" after driving the car and listening to it from the drivers side.

This exhaust is for people who want an exhaust that is easy to live with in a busy city. Its perfect for me because I didn't want a super loud exhaust when casually driving with windows up or down but wanted something still loud enough to bring a grin to my face from ear to ear when banging gears and hearing the burbles - those two things alone are worth the money to me.

This exhaust is PLENTY loud to let other people know you have MPE installed if that is what your intention is. Listening to it outside, step on the gas midway and it sounds great. MASH the throttle and it becomes an angry monster with deep euro-style exhaust note. Put it in neutral, switch to sport mode, rev to 4k the loud pop and burbles will get peoples attention around the block.

Appreciate 2
      05-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
Picardias
Rep
Drives: 228i EB

Nice!! Thanks for the videos, sounds awesome, I wish somebody try this setup with a downpipe.

How about the installation, did you need to change something or it just fits straight away? You did it at the dealer?

Do you have the PN of the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
cw_itr_805
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-sport

Curious on how you had it installed as well. Did you have it welded? Any fitment adjustments to note?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep

The only modifications needed:

1. Weld MPE to the midpipe. (FYI: 2 series exhaust from downpipe down is basically one piece.)
2. Cut the exhaust tips to desire. (Some cut it by 1 inch, but I had it cut to 3/4 of an inch. But I should have cut it by 1inch - I would like to have it tucked a bit more in but I like how it sits)

Someone who had done it mentioned that exhaust hangars needed to be extended. I did not find that to be the case. MPE uses same hangars and lines up perfectly. No modifications needed.

I have about 800 miles on the exhaust and its a joy. Definitely an attention grabber from outside of the car.

With all said I think those with SPORT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION would benefit from this the most, as you need the SPORT auto tranny with paddles to get the upshift bangs and burps.

Although I don't know if I am getting used to it or what but I think as its breaking in the upshift bangs and burps are a bit shorter and maybe a bit more quiet than before (although I think maybe its me getting used to it or perhaps as it breaks in fully ( should be broken in by now ~ 800 miles) it changes the sound.) Nonetheless its still loud enough and still pops and bangs so deliciously.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...rmance+exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Very interesting, I have a feeling I might go down this route!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Amessforone vs Roman G cant wait
vs slipp3ryching vs Luminous

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      06-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
cw_itr_805
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-sport

Just an FYI on this, I purchased a 328 MPE and took it to a local exhaust fab shop for install. The hangers line up fine, but when he cut the pipe, it's off about 2 1/8th inches from the MPE. He was against trying to cut/weld this further up closer to the muffler, stating it might cause too much stress on the rest of the mid-pipe/cat sections down the road. He wants to do a mandrel 304 stainless pipe bend then weld for better fitment. More money unfortunately than I was expecting to get this fitted up, but was curious if any of you guys went down this road on your installs?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep

I did not have this issue. Once properly measured it should be fine.

EDIT: yesterday the burbles were extra loud... I couldn't stop smiling and the upshift bangs ahhh to die for.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw_itr_805 View Post
Just an FYI on this, I purchased a 328 MPE and took it to a local exhaust fab shop for install. The hangers line up fine, but when he cut the pipe, it's off about 2 1/8th inches from the MPE. He was against trying to cut/weld this further up closer to the muffler, stating it might cause too much stress on the rest of the mid-pipe/cat sections down the road. He wants to do a mandrel 304 stainless pipe bend then weld for better fitment. More money unfortunately than I was expecting to get this fitted up, but was curious if any of you guys went down this road on your installs?
I also did not have to do that. It was pretty easy and straight forward to get the mid pipe and MPE to be welded together.
Appreciate 0