BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-22-2015, 02:50 AM   #1
yamanote
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Merino vs Individual interior

Hey all-

Used to have an E60 M5, wandered off for a couple years but excited to be back in an M car! Just ordered a 2016 X5 M in Silverstone Metallic.

Just been very confused by the interior option choices. As far as I can tell, there are three choices for the Canadian market-

Extended Merino Leather $0
Full Merino Leather $4500
Extended Individual Leather $3000

First question is... is Individual leather merely different shades of Merino, or is it a finer quality leather than the already-very-nice Merino leather?

Next... I cannot seem to find the Color Linked Parts chart similar to this for the M5 for the X5M, but based on that chart comparing the Full Merino to Extended Individual, I am led to believe that Extended Individual comprises more leather than Extended Merino, but less than Full Merino (specifically, the leather-covered dashboard and leather-covered door trim).

However, when adding the Extended Individual Leather option to my order, I am automatically prompted to add $0 option "Merino Leather Dash and Door Trim" (option code XT1?)- which happen to be the two panels not covered by leather in the Extended Individual trim in the M5 (compared to the its Full Merino option).

This makes me think that ordering Extended Individual may actually save $1500 compared to ordering Full Merino, while ending up with the same amount of leather.

I would order the Smoke White Individual leather in a heartbeat if I knew it would come with the same coverage as the Full Merino, even if it cost more (as I would expect an Individual interior to)!

Greatly appreciate any input.
      05-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
iPandax3
Rep
Drives: X5

What? 2016s are out? I'm still waiting for 2015...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
My guess is that the dash and door trims aren't available in the same individual leathers as the seating - not unlike the old "Nappa" option.

So, you're prompted to pick a leather "extended" dash trim from the available colours at no cost.

My understanding is that XT1 covers the upper dash and door tops ("extended") and excludes the lower dash and lower doors ("full").
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
yamanote
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPandax3 View Post
Apologies... want to clarify that I've just placed an order for a 2016 at my dealer based on the 2015 order guide.
2016 order guide should be available soon (SOP 08/15) and my order will be updated accordingly if there are any changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
My guess is that the dash and door trims aren't available in the same individual leathers as the seating - not unlike the old "Nappa" option.

So, you're prompted to pick a leather "extended" dash trim from the available colours at no cost.

My understanding is that XT1 covers the upper dash and door tops ("extended") and excludes the lower dash and lower doors ("full").
This is what I thought at first too, until I found the F10 M5 chart showing 'Extended Individual' incorporates leather on more panels than 'Extended Merino'- including the lower dash ('Instrument panel - lower section')

(http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...09&postcount=7)

This picture of the Individual Extended Smoke White on the X5 M shows the lower dash covered in stitched leather as well.

Perhaps the only difference between Full Merino and Extended Individual+XT1 is the lower door panels not being covered in leather?

This would all be cleared up quick if there were a Color Linked Parts chart for the F85 out there somewhere...

Appreciate the input!
      08-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #5
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

yamanote --

so what's the verdict? did you get the individual interior?
Appreciate 2
      08-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamanote View Post

Perhaps the only difference between Full Merino and Extended Individual+XT1 is the lower door panels not being covered in leather?

This would all be cleared up quick if there were a Color Linked Parts chart for the F85 out there somewhere...

Appreciate the input!
Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2016 X5 M & X6 M Smoke White CLP V2.pdf (38.6 KB, 654 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
yamanote
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post
yamanote --

so what's the verdict? did you get the individual interior?
Apologies for the late response, forgot all about this.

The chart you posted is spot on. I finalized the order with the Smoke White Individual Extended interior and the vehicle arrived with every panel covered in smooth finish leather, same as the non-Individual Full Leather.

Didn't end up taking the car for other reasons but I wouldn't hesitate to order an Extended Individual interior again, given you end up with the same amount of leather as a full leather car. Not sure why they don't just call it Full Individual- perhaps Extended Individual interiors are available overseas without XT1, which are required on US/Cdn Individual orders.
      01-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #8
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamanote View Post
Apologies for the late response, forgot all about this.

The chart you posted is spot on. I finalized the order with the Smoke White Individual Extended interior and the vehicle arrived with every panel covered in smooth finish leather, same as the non-Individual Full Leather.

Didn't end up taking the car for other reasons but I wouldn't hesitate to order an Extended Individual interior again, given you end up with the same amount of leather as a full leather car. Not sure why they don't just call it Full Individual- perhaps Extended Individual interiors are available overseas without XT1, which are required on US/Cdn Individual orders.
Agreed. I ordered the Smoke White too and noted the "Individual Extended" nomenclature. I worried that the car would not have leather in key areas, but that concern was unwarranted -- the Extended Smoke White has the same amount of leather as the non-Individual "Full Leather" option. I do not know why the difference in language, but it is certainly confusing.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #9
NickRac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPandax3 View Post
I don't get it...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
AlexLou1222
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M 2014 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRac View Post
I don't get it...
this post is almost 1 year old...