F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Electronic glitches..
Studio RSR

05-23-2015, 03:00 AM   #1
matt_320d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 640d GC M-Sport

Electronic glitches..

Three electronic glitches in the last few days.. Anyone any ideas what's going on?

1. The trip computer not resetting properly. Did a journey, stopped for about an hour, and then travelled back. At the end of the journey, the trip computer read as if I had only done one journey (the box is checked to reset automatically)

2. On starting up, the car warned that all four tyre pressures were low. I reset the system, then reported normal pressures.

3. Yesterday evening didn't notice the high beam coming up on the adaptive lights. It was the only dusk. Is the system clever enough to only use high beam if it's really dark?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 03:05 AM   #2
sweels
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_320d View Post
Three electronic glitches in the last few days.. Anyone any ideas what's going on?

1. The trip computer not resetting properly. Did a journey, stopped for about an hour, and then travelled back. At the end of the journey, the trip computer read as if I had only done one journey (the box is checked to reset automatically)

2. On starting up, the car warned that all four tyre pressures were low. I reset the system, then reported normal pressures.

3. Yesterday evening didn't notice the high beam coming up on the adaptive lights. It was the only dusk. Is the system clever enough to only use high beam if it's really dark?
In answer to 1, yes, the auto reset needs longer than that (may be 2 hours or possibly longer) you can of course in those circumstances do a manual reset)

And in answer to 3, yes, they are clever enough to only work in full darkness.

Can't help on 2, I'm afraid.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 03:23 AM   #3
RalphyBMW
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xDrive MSport

with point 2; the tyre pressures have a tolerance.
I don't know how old your car is, or which system it has. I'm assuming you have the posh system with metal valves; you will have seen on the display if the pressures were out. If the pressures were ok, but the warning came on, then they will have been calibrated at a higher pressure; one or more of your tyres fell out of tolerance from this higher pressure (though still at a value close to the recommended level) and the warning went off.

When you calibrate you are basically saying "this level is ok, use this as the baseline for the tolerance".
      05-23-2015, 03:54 AM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweels View Post
In answer to 1, yes, the auto reset needs longer than that (may be 2 hours or possibly longer) you can of course in those circumstances do a manual reset)

And in answer to 3, yes, they are clever enough to only work in full darkness.

Can't help on 2, I'm afraid.
Also with your adaptive, they are (I believe) speed dependant and ambient light dependant.

If you only do 30mph, I don't believe they will automatically switch to full beam.

I've noticed with mine on say a dark back road if it's a 30 and I am doing say 28mph, soon as I accelerate into a national speed limit area, blame full beam is engaged.

Tyre pressures as mentioned, inflating during hot afternoon and warm tyres, followed by a cold night can result in that difference first thing, obviously always confirm with a separate pressure gauge.
Appreciate 0