F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > So that's why they're called stealers...
Studio RSR

05-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
Nexstar2011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i Dravit/Mocca

So that's why they're called stealers...

Car in for an oil service/vehicle check this week (covered under service pack).
Couple of 403Ms were also replaced under warranty (corrosion from centre cap). When contacted to provide an update, was told that both rear tyres 'are bald on the inside shoulders, and should be replaced'. Car's done 30k, those tyres approx 18k (as have winters also). Declined the (reasonably priced) offer of 2 new P Zeros so I could see for myself.

Collected the car, got home, checked the tyres and still have 4mm+ evenly distributed (nowhere near the tread wear indicator) - hardly bald..

I wonder how many people would take their advice without question....?

Oh, and both offside tyres were over-inflated by 5psi...and my metal valve caps are now all plastic....and they didn't fix the creaking air-con....or investigate the seemingly widespread issue of offside front suspension knock...

Mind you, they did update the nav etc. so will try out GPS tracking!

Hadn't had cause for complaint with this particular dealer before, but don't think I'll use them again.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

I bet most people just say go ahead and get ripped off
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexstar2011 View Post
....Collected the car, got home, checked the tyres and still have 4mm+ evenly distributed (nowhere near the tread wear indicator) - hardly bald..

I wonder how many people would take their advice without question....?.
Have you checked the tyres thoroughly? Many are caught out with rear tyres looking good across the tyres and there is no shoulder. Some users even getting blow outs, thinking all is well. I'd recommend you check again to ensure you are not running bold shoulders.

I'm aware of other users with more than 4mm across a tyre and still almost through to the wires on the shoulders.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Check the tyres are not getting like this...

You don't want this...

NOTE: Both examples have plenty of tread.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #5
Nexstar2011
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Have you checked the tyres thoroughly?
Hi - Yes, and also checked by a trusted local independent garage who store/fit my winters.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
Nexstar2011
Private First Class
Rep

Not the best picture..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Stealing barstoods!

I also have corrosion from centre caps on both of my rear 403Ms and meaning to take it in and get it sorted.

When you say creaking air-con, do you mean a noise coming from the centre vents? I get this, sounds like something is rotating inside?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 01:08 AM   #8
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

I had the same at a Merc dealer a few years back, got the call "sir we should replace all 4 tyres as they are getting close to illegal, plus a few other things.." no problem I said..

Went in a few hours later to pick the car and and was presented with a huge bill by smug looking service guy. I promptly handed him back the bill and pointed out the car was contract hire and the bill was Mercs

He almost went completely white as I took my keys and walked off

GBR1
Appreciate 5
      05-24-2015, 01:20 AM   #9
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
I had the same at a Merc dealer a few years back, got the call "sir we should replace all 4 tyres as they are getting close to illegal, plus a few other things.." no problem I said..

Went in a few hours later to pick the car and and was presented with a huge bill by smug looking service guy. I promptly handed him back the bill and pointed out the car was contract hire and the bill was Mercs

GBR1
Classic would love to have seen that!
      05-24-2015, 02:30 AM   #10
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

I take mine into Coopers, they usually send me a video of the car whilst in an engineer is walking around demonstrating anything needing attention
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 02:37 AM   #11
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Elms Bedford did same with my M135 when it went in. Video is a nice touch as they can show any issues to you. Iirc at the time, 2 tyres were lowish but there was no pressure to buy.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 03:47 AM   #12
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Couple of 403Ms were also replaced under warranty (corrosion from centre cap). When contacted to provide an update, was told that both rear tyres 'are bald on the inside shoulders, and should be replaced'. Car's done 30k, those tyres approx 18k (as have winters also). Declined the (reasonably priced) offer of 2 new P Zeros so I could see for myself.

Collected the car, got home, checked the tyres and still have 4mm+ evenly distributed (nowhere near the tread wear indicator) - hardly bald..

Oh, and both offside tyres were over-inflated by 5psi...and my metal valve caps are now all plastic....and they didn't fix the creaking air-con....or investigate the seemingly widespread issue of offside front suspension knock...

Hadn't had cause for complaint with this particular dealer before, but don't think I'll use them again.
Make sure you complain to the dealer about you're experience, not just a post on here. If you don't tell them, you can't expect the dealers to take note and change.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 03:58 AM   #13
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:

The stealer that ids the problem is not the garage that fixes it.

The VAG stealer mechanics are on a bonus for every fault they find. The haldex pressure sensor had apparently gone on my last VAG. The indy said in the 80+ years worth of experience across all the mechanics in his garage, this part has never gone in any VAG he has repaired. In the end it was the ECU that was totally dead - an easy spot!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 04:03 AM   #14
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
You don't want this...

NOTE: Both examples have plenty of tread.

HighlandPete
Easily repaired with tyre welt IMHO
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 05:22 AM   #15
gembrain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335i M Sport Touring

Always used to be told by one BMW dealer that my discs were worn and needed replacing. 20K miles later they were ready to be changed....

My favourite one was when the inside door handle came loose on the passenger door. Yes, we can fix that sir - you need a pair of new leather door cards at over £1K.

It was slightly cheaper to remove the card, tighten the screws, and replace.....
      05-24-2015, 05:22 AM   #16
r1cey
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post

GBR1
Experienced similar with a Merc CLK years ago, when they replaced one of my tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport on my AMG alloys at £260 a corner (their price, £180 elsewhere)), as it had a slow puncture (apparently). I smugly, upon presentation of the bill stated I had tyre cover, and asked them to remove that item :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Make sure you complain to the dealer about you're experience, not just a post on here. If you don't tell them, you can't expect the dealers to take note and change.
Agree, you must inform the dealer. Either there was one big mistake (that is possible), or they are up to shady business practice.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #18
Nexstar2011
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Agree, you must inform the dealer. Either there was one big mistake (that is possible), or they are up to shady business practice.

HighlandPete
Indeed, I shall call them Tuesday and mail the DP some pics.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #19
Nexstar2011
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post

When you say creaking air-con, do you mean a noise coming from the centre vents? I get this, sounds like something is rotating inside?
Yes, from the centre vents - some creaking followed by a clicking (as if a motor is attempting to turn something past the point it should have stopped)...does that make sense?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #20
pedroF31
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325d Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWA View Post
I take mine into Coopers, they usually send me a video of the car whilst in an engineer is walking around demonstrating anything needing attention
I think you meant mechanic.....

This thread reminds me of a pal of mine who put his car into a Renault dealer for an MOT test a few years ago. They phoned him up and said 'your car needs a load of work because you've got 2 tyres nearly worn to the limit, a rear box that is nearly blowing and a handbrake that is only just making the efficiency requirement'. His response was 'so it passed the MOT no problem then, I'll be straight down to pick it up'. The garage's sheepish response was 'err yes Sir it did, we'll get the paperwork ready' !!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #21
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroF31
Quote:

This thread reminds me of a pal of mine who put his car into a Renault dealer for an MOT test a few years ago. They phoned him up and said 'your car needs a load of work because you've got 2 tyres nearly worn to the limit, a rear box that is nearly blowing and a handbrake that is only just making the efficiency requirement'. His response was 'so it passed the MOT no problem then, I'll be straight down to pick it up'. The garage's sheepish response was 'err yes Sir it did, we'll get the paperwork ready' !!
My bad, I stand corrected, thank you sir
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 03:07 AM   #22
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroF31
Quote:

The correct term is Motor Technician
Appreciate 0