E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Pulled over for Tint

05-23-2015, 11:22 PM   #1
E90335is
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M Sport

Pulled over for Tint

So I got pulled over for my window Tint today. Below is an outline of the event with the officer. Wondering what other similar stories others might have and if they fought the ticket? I feel I have a good chance winning in court? I'm not looking for feedback like, "you should have just done what he asked, etc..." I gave him options. I feel he could have used a tint strip to check, not just want to use some type of light scanner device? I've heard some horror stories of cops scratching up peoples tint, and didn't want to be a victim.

Legal tint level in Wisconsin according to the officer is 50% front side windows, and 35% rear. With a 3% margin for error. My car is 35% on all windows except the front window and I was not in the mood to give the officer the benefit of the doubt for pulling me over.

I guess with everything that's been going on in the country with cops, its on principles and limitations and actually taking a stand for yourself??? Overall the Officer was a nice guy, and maybe just trying to do his job..? I guess it could have went a lot worse for me being seen in his eyes as probably difficult and uncooperative. I don't think I was, completely, but I did feel like he was wasting my time over something petite.

It is that time of year where there are trying to fill that quota!

5/23/2015

Approximately around 1304 on 5/23/2015 I was pulled over by Officer of the Village of De Forest Police, for possible Tint Violation.

This is a record outlining the event to citation B476695-2. This is documentation written by me on 5/23/2015 after receiving a citation for excessive tinting with the efforts to clear the matter in court.

At around 1259 I was traveling west on CO Road V after washing my vehicle when I passed Officer on the South bound corner of Old Indian Trail and CO Road V in a marked De Forest Police squad. After I passed Officer he proceed to turn east bound on CO Road V.

With the nice weather outside I decided to roll my windows down and open my moon roof . I then noticed right after, while adjusting my mirror that it looked like officer was in a process of making a U-Turn without his warning lights on (346.33), or Officer possibly made a right turn into North Street Plaza to change his direction to west on CO Road V? I quickly checked my speed limit to verify I was maintaining proper speed.

Within two minutes Officer came up behind me within 25 feet and turned on his warning lights, which I immediately pulled to the right side of the road as Officer followed, placed my vehicle in park, and shut of my car off just short of about 75 feet from 4772 W. North St/CO HWY V.

As Officer was approaching my vehicle I retrieved my folder with Registration and Proof of vehicle Insurance from the back seat pocket.

Once Officer approached my driver side, he identified himself as officer and stated the reason for the stop being my window tint looked dark. I replied with, "this is how I purchased the vehicle last year" and he said that was okay, and asked me for my License and Insurance. I handed officer my license and Vehicle Insurance and Insurance card. He asked if my address was current, and I replied yes.

Officer then handed me back my insurance information and told me to hold on. Officer then returned to his vehicle and shortly within a few minutes reemerged.

Officer told me he wanted to check my tint and instructed me to roll up my window. I replied, there's a rear window go ahead and check that.

Officer replied with "no I cannot check that window, please partially roll up your window". I said, "NO, I just washed my car and I do not want to streak my windows because I just cleaned them". Officer told me I must roll up my window up and he gave me a an example size with his fingers. I once again replied with, "NO, and told him the windows are tinted because of medical reasons, so regardless of this outcome I will not remove the tint."

Officer than addressed the matter of what the legal tint levels are in Wisconsin. 50% front side windows, and 35% in the rear sides and that level of tint would be more than enough to cover any medical conditions.

Officer did not request any medical paperwork referencing Wisconsin statue 305.32(4)(B)3.

Officer told me all he wanted to do is test the windows, so he can let me off with a warning and to show me the tint level, possibly to get fixed. I told him I think the windows are all the same tint level and I proceeded to point and suggest one more window on the rear passenger driver side for testing.

Officer said that window would not work, and I said I'm sorry to be difficult but I will not roll up my windows. Officer tells me he will have to give me a violation for what clearly looks to be too dark of window tint, and I only rolled down my windows because I knew that he was going to pull me over...

Officer leaves to his squad and returns to my vehicle with a citation for $98.80 and 2 points. He lets me know of the information on the citation if I decided to go to court. I responded with; "it must be a pretty busy day"? As I witnessed another squad pull someone over during my stop. Officer looks up and said, "yeah".

I then asked, will I probably be seeing you again? He responded with, "maybe". I said, "okay, and thank you", shook the officers hand and said, "bye".

Took some notes of the incident, and proceeded to taco bell to see another squad car sitting in the parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
Volrath
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [10.00]
That police officer was clearly bored out of his mind to pull you over for improper tint. I would fight it, but thats me. The county attorneys office should not and probably will not go to court if you decide to fight this ticket. My .02. You could discredit the police officers ability to properly identify the difference between 50% and 35%
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 12:09 AM   #3
E90335is
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volrath View Post
That police officer was clearly bored out of his mind to pull you over for improper tint. I would fight it, but thats me. The county attorneys office should not and probably will not go to court if you decide to fight this ticket. My .02. You could discredit the police officers ability to properly identify the difference between 50% and 35%
I'll be fighting it, I think i have enough to get it dropped! The town wasted my time, I'll waste theirs. He had to be bored, doubted himself, or trying to fill a quota for the holiday weekend, I don't know? Wisconsin sucks like that, honestly it doesn't matter what tint level you have. It's a BS excuse for them to pull you over. If I or immediate family have a medical excuse, by law I can tint the fronts of my car 35%.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #4
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

"I'm not looking for feedback like,"

Well, good luck with sale and life kid.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

Pay the ticket and move on with your life. You didn't wash your car with windows down?

If you just washed your car didn't you put streaks on your window to roll window all the way in?

Clearly he was bored but your probably not going to win.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattngsx View Post
So I got pulled over for my window Tint today. Below is an outline of the event with the officer. Wondering what other similar stories others might have and if they fought the ticket? I feel I have a good chance winning in court? I'm not looking for feedback like, "you should have just done what he asked, etc..." I gave him options. I feel he could have used a tint strip to check, not just want to use some type of light scanner device? I've heard some horror stories of cops scratching up peoples tint, and didn't want to be a victim.

Legal tint level in Wisconsin according to the officer is 50% front side windows, and 35% rear. With a 3% margin for error. My car is 35% on all windows except the front window and I was not in the mood to give the officer the benefit of the doubt for pulling me over.

I guess with everything that's been going on in the country with cops, its on principles and limitations and actually taking a stand for yourself??? Overall the Officer was a nice guy, and maybe just trying to do his job..? I guess it could have went a lot worse for me being seen in his eyes as probably difficult and uncooperative. I don't think I was, completely, but I did feel like he was wasting my time over something petite.

5/23/2015

Approximately around 1304 on 5/23/2015 I was pulled over by Officer of the Village of De Forest Police, for possible Tint Violation.

This is a record outlining the event to citation B476695-2. This is documentation written by me on 5/23/2015 after receiving a citation for excessive tinting with the efforts to clear the matter in court.

At around 1259 I was traveling west on CO Road V after washing my vehicle when I passed Officer on the South bound corner of Old Indian Trail and CO Road V in a marked De Forest Police squad. After I passed Officer he proceed to turn east bound on CO Road V.

With the nice weather outside I decided to roll my windows down and open my moon roof . I then noticed right after, while adjusting my mirror that it looked like officer was in a process of making a U-Turn without his warning lights on (346.33), or Officer possibly made a right turn into North Street Plaza to change his direction to west on CO Road V? I quickly checked my speed limit to verify I was maintaining proper speed.

Within two minutes Officer came up behind me within 25 feet and turned on his warning lights, which I immediately pulled to the right side of the road as Officer followed, placed my vehicle in park, and shut of my car off just short of about 75 feet from 4772 W. North St/CO HWY V.

As Officer was approaching my vehicle I retrieved my folder with Registration and Proof of vehicle Insurance from the back seat pocket.

Once Officer approached my driver side, he identified himself as officer and stated the reason for the stop being my window tint looked dark. I replied with, "this is how I purchased the vehicle last year" and he said that was okay, and asked me for my License and Insurance. I handed officer my license and Vehicle Insurance and Insurance card. He asked if my address was current, and I replied yes.

Officer then handed me back my insurance information and told me to hold on. Officer then returned to his vehicle and shortly within a few minutes reemerged.

Officer told me he wanted to check my tint and instructed me to roll up my window. I replied, there's a rear window go ahead and check that.

Officer replied with "no I cannot check that window, please partially roll up your window". I said, "NO, I just washed my car and I do not want to streak my windows because I just cleaned them". Officer told me I must roll up my window up and he gave me a an example size with his fingers. I once again replied with, "NO, and told him the windows are tinted because of medical reasons, so regardless of this outcome I will not remove the tint."

Officer than addressed the matter of what the legal tint levels are in Wisconsin. 50% front side windows, and 35% in the rear sides and that level of tint would be more than enough to cover any medical conditions.

Officer did not request any medical paperwork referencing Wisconsin statue 305.32(4)(B)3.

Officer told me all he wanted to do is test the windows, so he can let me off with a warning and to show me the tint level, possibly to get fixed. I told him I think the windows are all the same tint level and I proceeded to point and suggest one more window on the rear passenger driver side for testing.

Officer said that window would not work, and I said I'm sorry to be difficult but I will not roll up my windows. Officer tells me he will have to give me a violation for what clearly looks to be too dark of window tint, and I only rolled down my windows because I knew that he was going to pull me over...

Officer leaves to his squad and returns to my vehicle with a citation for $98.80 and 2 points. He lets me know of the information on the citation if I decided to go to court. I responded with; "it must be a pretty busy day"? As I witnessed another squad pull someone over during my stop. Officer looks up and said, "yeah".

I then asked, will I probably be seeing you again? He responded with, "maybe". I said, "okay, and thank you", shook the officers hand and said, "bye".

Took some notes of the incident, and proceeded to taco bell to see another squad car sitting in the parking lot.

Well, first you lie to the cop by telling him you bought it this way and later on claiming its a medical issue. Which one should he believe?
Then you give him attitude because you "just washed the car" and didn't want streaks. Or was it because you didn't want the cop to see the over the legal limit tints up front? You would have had streaks regardless, just because the windows were down.

Sorry dude but you should man up, pay the fine. and fix the illegal tint. If you go to court, everything that you just said here will go against you.
Appreciate 3
      05-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
supergoat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan

Sounds like you deserved the ticket. Good for the cop.
Appreciate 4
      05-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
AnthonyT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoat View Post
Sounds like you deserved the ticket. Good for the cop.
If you weren't a dick and just rolled the windows up he probably would of given you a warning. But because you acted like a dick you got a ticket for having illegal window tint.
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
Well, first you lie to the cop by telling him you bought it this way and later on claiming its a medical issue. Which one should he believe?
Then you give him attitude because you "just washed the car" and didn't want streaks. Or was it because you didn't want the cop to see the over the legal limit tints up front? You would have had streaks regardless, just because the windows were down.

Sorry dude but you should man up, pay the fine. and fix the illegal tint. If you go to court, everything that you just said here will go against you.
If it was a medical issue he would have a authorized waiver from the doctor that he could just show the cop. You can't just claim a medical issue you need a waiver to back it up. I would have gave his ass a ticket too just for lying. He's lucky the cop was nice or else he could have went over the car with a fine tooth comb and gave you all sorts of tickets, such as having shit hanging from your mirror. Yes sometimes cops are dicks but in this case it was the other way around.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post

No, the "first" was him reaching for something in back seat while the officer was walking up to his vehicle.

GL OP, you're going to need it.
      05-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #11
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

cop was too nice. I would ve gave you a bigger ticket...
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #12
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

You want to come on the board and whine about a cop giving you a ticket for something you admit is illegal?

Honestly, you better pay up and get over with it before it gets worse. Because if you take it to court and the judge decides you were being a dick to the officer ( and you were ) he can increase the fines and/or points for the offense and possibly add additional charges.
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #13
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Right of the bat you are not too bright to begin with so don't bother trying to outsmart the judge because he will burn your ass.

You told the cop that the tints where on when you bough the car. Then you told him that the windows are tinted because you have a medical condition. He never asked you for your waver because he knew your story is bullshit and he didn't want to waste his time listening to a bunch of lies. Be thankful he was so nice about it btw.

Pay the damn ticket because if you go to court there is a VERY good chance he will bring up the fact that you claimed to have a medical condition, which allows you to have tints. The judge will then ask to see your medical waiver and damn I hope someone records the shit show that follows after that.
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #14
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
You want to come on the board and whine about a cop giving you a ticket for something you admit is illegal?

Honestly, you better pay up and get over with it before it gets worse. Because if you take it to court and the judge decides you were being a dick to the officer ( and you were ) he can increase the fines and/or points for the offense and possibly add additional charges.
Yup exactly, such such lying about a non-existent medical conditions.

I agree tint laws are BS but he should have taken it like a man after getting pulled over and fessed up. There is a good chance had he done that the cop would have let him go.
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #15
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Pay the ticket and move on, or remove the tint and don't go through that shit again- simple really.

Typically one never gets pulled over for just tint alone- at least in this tri-state area of ours... just sayin.

Lastly, I would've never posted this, because believe it or not, law-enforcement and legal officials can scan the Internet for things like this- and this would be your death knell in any court room.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #16
Workdawg
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is, LeMans Blue

Quote:

5/23/2015

Quoting to preserve the statement in which he admits to lying to the officer and providing contradictory statements.

As for the topic at hand... OP, you are an idiot.

You don't "give the officer options" he gives you options. He clearly saw that you have tint. He was giving you a lawful order during an investigation into whether you were committing a crime and you refused. He explained that he needed to test your front window and the reason for it (because the law specifically says the front can be different from the back, so testing only the back wouldn't be sufficient to investigate the crime). Cops have jobs to do and dicking around with them doesn't do anyone any good. You don't fight with the cops, you do what they say. If they violate your rights, you go and argue that in court. It doesn't matter if you think the cop is bored and just needs to meet a quota. It doesn't matter what you think at all.

Honestly you're lucky he only gave you a ticket for tint, he probably could have arrested you if he wanted to. Now, it sounds like the officer didn't actually test your windows so you can try and fight the ticket in court, but prepare for getting your ass reamed out by the judge. When the DA asks you if your car is tinted illegally, are you going to perjure yourself and claim that it's not? You'll be lucky if they only make you pay for the ticket, and now court costs because you tried that bullshit.

The DA could file charges against you for obstruction of justice or disobeying a lawful order.
Appreciate 3
      05-24-2015, 12:22 PM   #17
ehoffman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is

First of all, I appreciate the detailed, clear, comprehensible post. Stories about the 'asshole cop that pulled me over' are usually none of those...

Personally, I don't think the officer nor you acted like a dick. Sounds like you were both relatively respectful, and the conflict was resolved cordially.

If you're willing to risk court costs, I would take it to court, hoping that the officer doesn't show up to fight such a small offense. If he does, he'll likely mention your comment about medical conditions and you'll be required to show paperwork to verify.

In addition, though I'm sure it varies from state to state, I wonder if you could actually be charged for obstruction of justice for not rolling your windows down. (I've always been curious as I may or may not have illegal tint myself)
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #18
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workdawg
Quote:

5/23/2015

Quoting to preserve the statement in which he admits to lying to the officer and providing contradictory statements.

As for the topic at hand... OP, you are an idiot.

You don't "give the officer options" he gives you options. He clearly saw that you have tint. He was giving you a lawful order during an investigation into whether you were committing a crime and you refused. He explained that he needed to test your front window and the reason for it (because the law specifically says the front can be different from the back, so testing only the back wouldn't be sufficient to investigate the crime). Cops have jobs to do and dicking around with them doesn't do anyone any good. You don't fight with the cops, you do what they say. If they violate your rights, you go and argue that in court. It doesn't matter if you think the cop is bored and just needs to meet a quota. It doesn't matter what you think at all.

Honestly you're lucky he only gave you a ticket for tint, he probably could have arrested you if he wanted to. Now, it sounds like the officer didn't actually test your windows so you can try and fight the ticket in court, but prepare for getting your ass reamed out by the judge. When the DA asks you if your car is tinted illegally, are you going to perjure yourself and claim that it's not? You'll be lucky if they only make you pay for the ticket, and now court costs because you tried that bullshit.

The DA could file charges against you for obstruction of justice or disobeying a lawful order.
Lawful order while committing a crime?

You pushed so far I couldn't read further; comment dead on arrival.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #19
MR92
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92

Lol this is so ridiculous. How old are you OP? 12?
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #20
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

You lost me at water streaks man.

You said you rolled them down because you saw the cop coming and you know they're too dark. Put yourself in the cops position. I'm surprised he kept his cool and it didn't escalate.

Man up. Pay it. Or get the legal limit so you don't have the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #21
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

I can't believe you told the cop that you didn't want to roll up your window because of water streaks. For real..?

In Arizona people have been tinting the front windshield (against the law) and the police are starting to not only go after the drivers but the tint shops who are supposed to know better.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #22
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Quote:

5/23/2015

Almost happened to me yesterday while I was with my buddy who also had 20% tints on his G37. He was rolling along side me East bound and then I see a cop driving on West bound all the way in the right lane. He immediately looks at our cars and pulls a u-turn to get behind me. I wasn't speeding by more than 3mph. I looked down just to make sure lol. So I roll my windows down and signal my buddy too. I could see the cop on the radio so I pulled in front of my buddy and told him to make a left asap when I made the call to him on Bluetooth. The cop couldn't get behind us in time to keep following due to a car that was in front of me before I made a lane change and also two cars behind my buddy.

All in all, I got lucky. Time to get a prescription for my tints from my buddy
Appreciate 0