F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension Choice Help
Studio RSR

05-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #1
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Garage List
Question Suspension Choice Help

Hey all,

So I would like to lower my car, but there is so much information I am having trouble sifting it all and deciding on the best solution for my car.

2013 335i, M Sport, with Adaptive M Suspension. 19" wheels.

This is my daily driver, and will most likely never be tracked. Primary goal is honestly aesthetic, closing the wheel gaps a bit.

What are the best options to lower enough to close the gap somewhat and maintain decent ride quality (when desired, in comfort mode I guess)?

Also, Is it best to install upgraded rear shocks / front struts when replacing springs?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
ClubsportJunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Well my recommendation for you is Dinan Springs and Shockware since you have the Adaptive M Suspension and you're not looking to track your car. I've recently upgraded to the package in addition to adding Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and it has been one of the better mods I've made in the last decade compared to my other cars. Just for a frame of reference I recently had a road trip down to Bimmerfest, and when I was in the canyons in Malibu and Route 33 my car was worlds better than the first time I drove down there with a stock suspension. At the same time it still allowed my car to retain a very comfortable ride in Eco Pro when I was sitting in traffic on the 5 during the holiday traffic. As for the struts/shocks question I'm a bit confused why you'd get them replace since you bought the the upgraded package for the adaptive M suspension..Best of luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thank you, do you have the adaptive M suspension as well?

Was not sure if you could add aftermarket shocks/struts on this suspension, guess not? From some stuff I read adding new springs causes the stock dampers to wear out more quickly...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
ClubsportJunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatryan View Post
Thank you, do you have the adaptive M suspension as well?

Was not sure if you could add aftermarket shocks/struts on this suspension, guess not? From some stuff I read adding new springs causes the stock dampers to wear out more quickly...
Yes I do. Also you can certainly add new shocks/struts but you'll just get rid of the electronic dampers that came with the adaptive M suspension, which IMO would be wasting your money for the application that you're looking to have (DD, looks, and probably reliability). As for aftermarket springs comment, the only problem I've heard of is H&R super sport springs causing problems (probably since it's such a dramatic drop). Best of luck with your search, and if you're truly set on replacing your suspension I'd look at the Ohlins coilover kit even though there isnt a lot of reviews on them yet for the F30 I fully trust this company to deliver a phenomenal package.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the input!

I think you are right that the dinan setup would be best. A little drop and better springs while maintaining the adaptive shock/struts.

Onto the list it goes!
      05-30-2015, 11:16 PM   #6
SourD
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 / X3MC / M3LR

I had Dinan/Shockware combo on 442m. drop was about .75" lower front and back compared to m-sport. perfect drop IMO for 19's. I'm on 20" vorsteiners now and I don't think they drop quite enough for 20's so I may switch to Coils but the Dinan really firms up the suspension in sport/S+ mode and one of the best mods for your money. make sure to get the bump stops or cut down your original one.

on old 442m wheels
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2015, 11:20 PM   #7
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Awesome thanks. I just put my new wheels on today and yeah, def want to lower it

Ever any rubbing issues?
Attached Images

05-30-2015, 11:43 PM   #8
SourD
Private
No_Country
Rep

no rubbing issues and I had 10/15mm spacers on 442m. the dinan setup and switching from RFT to PSS are my favorite mods thus far.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #9
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
My daily driver. 335xi.

M Adaptive suspension as well. Only difference is I'm on stock 20's.

H&R sport springs with 10/15mm spacers front and back.
The stock M Adaptive suspension works well with the H&R springs IMO.

This is a winner if you're main goal is aesthetics (as was mine)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #10
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Looks great thanks for sharing!

Wound up going with the Dinan springs, in fact they got here today very fast shipping. Now I just have to wait until I get car back to install them ha.
Attached Images

06-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #11
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
I just realized you have a non-XI so the car might sit differently....oops
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 01:36 AM   #12
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4d0w
Well my recommendation for you is Dinan Springs and Shockware since you have the Adaptive M Suspension and you're not looking to track your car. I've recently upgraded to the package in addition to adding Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and it has been one of the better mods I've made in the last decade compared to my other cars. Just for a frame of reference I recently had a road trip down to Bimmerfest, and when I was in the canyons in Malibu and Route 33 my car was worlds better than the first time I drove down there with a stock suspension. At the same time it still allowed my car to retain a very comfortable ride in Eco Pro when I was sitting in traffic on the 5 during the holiday traffic. As for the struts/shocks question I'm a bit confused why you'd get them replace since you bought the the upgraded package for the adaptive M suspension..Best of luck with your decision.
How is comfort mode with shockware? I'm thinking of getting just shockware (leaving stock springs) on my 435 GC M sport DHP.

It's my daily driver, so I need a mode that's still comfortable for when I'm in bumper to bumper, or have my toddler in the back
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #13
ClubsportJunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital View Post
How is comfort mode with shockware? I'm thinking of getting just shockware (leaving stock springs) on my 435 GC M sport DHP.

It's my daily driver, so I need a mode that's still comfortable for when I'm in bumper to bumper, or have my toddler in the back
Comfort mode is like being in sport mode; ECO PRO retains the "comfort" setting. For a daily driver this will be the best package out there.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #14
SourD
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatryan View Post
Looks great thanks for sharing!

Wound up going with the Dinan springs, in fact they got here today very fast shipping. Now I just have to wait until I get car back to install them ha.

Good choice man! I'm sure you will be very pleased with the setup. the Dinan's did take about 2 weeks for it to completely settle to it's true height so you might want to wait a little before the alignment.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #15
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Good choice man! I'm sure you will be very pleased with the setup. the Dinan's did take about 2 weeks for it to completely settle to it's true height so you might want to wait a little before the alignment.
Ahh cool, thanks for the tip!
      06-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #16
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I shouldn't need to worry about any rubbing issues when lowering on Dinan springs right?

Wheel sizes are,

Front:19x8.5 ET35
Rear:19x9.5 ET40

And by rubbing I mean when turning, hitting little bumps, etc..
      07-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #17
Wormiez
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport

Where did you order the Dinan Springs and Bump stops?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #18
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
From Dinan website