E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Transmission Code

05-30-2015, 05:28 PM   #1
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Transmission Code

Just got a 004F85 code and my transmission went into limp mode. Car would not do anything but go into 2nd gear limp mode. Nursed the car back to my house pulled off the DTUK. Code went away after pulling off the DTUK. The car now drives just fine. Wondering if I simply overwhelmed some sort of torque overload protection built into the transmission.

What is interesting is how much better the transmission behaves without the JBD or the DTUK. In fact I think a lot of what many of us on these boards hate about our transmissions is a function of the tuning box. Don't believe it? Unplug the box and drive around for a few hours. The transmission is definitely impaired by these boxes. In fact the primary reason I use the DTUK vis-a-vis the JBD is the transmission behaves better with the DTUK.

(Yes, I realize there is no direct connection from the tuning box to the transmission. )

Has anyone else thrown a code or had a similar experience with a tuning box?

Now, because I had grown so sick of the mushy transmission, I don't know if I am going to use either the DTUK or the JBD going forward. Which is to say, the transmission now shifts so well I am willing to give up 50 to 60hp.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Crickets chirping. Is it bad to say anything that could be construed as negative about DTUK or JBD on these boards?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Pretty strange occurrence. I actually never noticed a difference with/without the JBD installed. I know the throttle response gets slightly dulled but that's about it.
      05-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
siicom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 bmw 335d  [0.00]
The code is the bushing on the input shaft leaking, you can replace the bushing only according to ZF trans, no need to replace the whiole transmission as bmw dealers suggested. A bushing kit from Sonnax, part number 95030-01k is available.

I had this code often and all I did so far is steer the car aside to restart the car and it's back to normal, but I feel there's a torque limit in effect. I think I will try to delete the code with the bmw app in the future to restore the power.

Last edited by siicom; 05-31-2015 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks siicom...helpful
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Just got a 004F85 code and my transmission went into limp mode. Car would not do anything but go into 2nd gear limp mode. Nursed the car back to my house pulled off the DTUK. Code went away after pulling off the DTUK. The car now drives just fine. Wondering if I simply overwhelmed some sort of torque overload protection built into the transmission.

What is interesting is how much better the transmission behaves without the JBD or the DTUK. In fact I think a lot of what many of us on these boards hate about our transmissions is a function of the tuning box. Don't believe it? Unplug the box and drive around for a few hours. The transmission is definitely impaired by these boxes. In fact the primary reason I use the DTUK vis-a-vis the JBD is the transmission behaves better with the DTUK.

(Yes, I realize there is no direct connection from the tuning box to the transmission. )

Has anyone else thrown a code or had a similar experience with a tuning box?

Now, because I had grown so sick of the mushy transmission, I don't know if I am going to use either the DTUK or the JBD going forward. Which is to say, the transmission now shifts so well I am willing to give up 50 to 60hp.
It is a little more complicated. The transmission actually adjusts to the JDB or DTUK. With either disconnected, the shift speeds are now out of tune in a way you like. I bet you will find the trans adapts back.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 08:23 PM   #7
siicom
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 bmw 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks siicom...helpful
Better yet get all these:
OH kit $216.31
Bushing kit $ 85.05
Pan/filter $104.90

From: zftranspart.com but you cannot order directly from the website. To place and order you can either email, fax (860-395-0047) , or call 800-388-4418 (alt 860-388-4418)

If anyone get these done, please post on labour cost. Before and after the install
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #8
demon
Fukowee Warrior
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport blk on blk

my car has never thrown a transmission code but I did notice the DTUK affecting my shifts.

With my DTUK in program 1 setting 2, good power but the power seemed to hit at the same time as the shift so it kind of roamed either up shift or down shift but did not shift cleanly like I thought it should.

I changed the setting to program 4 setting 1 and all shift problems went away.
In fact I never even thought of it again until I saw your post.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #9
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon View Post
my car has never thrown a transmission code but I did notice the DTUK affecting my shifts.

With my DTUK in program 1 setting 2, good power but the power seemed to hit at the same time as the shift so it kind of roamed either up shift or down shift but did not shift cleanly like I thought it should.

I changed the setting to program 4 setting 1 and all shift problems went away.
In fact I never even thought of it again until I saw your post.
Yup, I had the same experience. Map 4 (which I believe is just extra fueling and no extra turbo) worked best with the transmission. It sounds like the problem I am having is a function of increased, but not fatal, pressures inside the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #10
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siicom View Post
Better yet get all these:
OH kit $216.31
Bushing kit $ 85.05
Pan/filter $104.90

From: zftranspart.com but you cannot order directly from the website. To place and order you can either email, fax (860-395-0047) , or call 800-388-4418 (alt 860-388-4418)

If anyone get these done, please post on labour cost. Before and after the install
siicom this almost makes me wonder if our transmissions have "wear" parts that should be replaced beyond just changing the fluid. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Dropping at the dealer today. We'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #12
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
siicom this almost makes me wonder if our transmissions have "wear" parts that should be replaced beyond just changing the fluid. What do you think?
Yes, every automatic transmission has wear parts. No matter how gently or softly you drive the trans, sooner or later you will lose enough material off the clutches that it needs a rebuild. Not a maintenance item like fluid though, run it until it doesnt run anymore, then rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #13
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Is anyone familiar with the complaints this is supposed to address? Possibly related to fading shift speed with age?

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/3052
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #14
siicom
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 bmw 335d  [0.00]
Yes Chief, according to the supplier the bushing they made in Europe does not contain certain ingredients (lead or something, I forgot) because of the tough environmental law in europe therefore subject it to easier wear and tear.
Whereby the aftermarket bushing is 100% metallic and more durable.

Hooper the zip kit sounds wonderful, any idea how much and the labour cost involved.
Yeah would be interesting to know what complaints this kit is in respond to.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #15
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Parts run about $225 for the kit and separator plate (not required in theory, but I would never put a valve body back together with a used gasket), add fluid and filter/pan and youre up at $500. It requires removal of the valve body, splitting the valve body halves, replacing the various upgraded parts, and reinstallation to the transmission. Time to do all this runs probably about 4 hours for someone who has seen the transmission before, but since it might be hard to find someone familiar with the transmission its going to be more like 6-8. So $500 to DIY (or $300 if you dont replace the filter/pan) or up to $1,500 at a shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #16
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper
Parts run about $225 for the kit and separator plate (not required in theory, but I would never put a valve body back together with a used gasket), add fluid and filter/pan and youre up at $500. It requires removal of the valve body, splitting the valve body halves, replacing the various upgraded parts, and reinstallation to the transmission. Time to do all this runs probably about 4 hours for someone who has seen the transmission before, but since it might be hard to find someone familiar with the transmission its going to be more like 6-8. So $500 to DIY (or $300 if you dont replace the filter/pan) or up to $1,500 at a shop.
Great stuff really helpful!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:35 AM   #17
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Yes, every automatic transmission has wear parts. No matter how gently or softly you drive the trans, sooner or later you will lose enough material off the clutches that it needs a rebuild. Not a maintenance item like fluid though, run it until it doesnt run anymore, then rebuild.
So the dealer called this morning and said the only thing the car needs is a software update. I personally think that is crap. After talking to a few highly reputable transmission shops they told me that dealers are capable of doing only one of two things 1) a software update if available or 2) total transmission replacement. Which is to say, they will not touch anything inside the transmission and can't do anything beyond changing the fluid. I guess that is not terribly surprising.

I found a place that will rebuild the valve body using Sonnax parts for $1,100 to $1,300. Seems reasonable and a hell of a lot cheaper than paying an independent $6,000 for a new transmission.

One question, the folks that rebuild the valve bodies won't touch the transmission control module. Is this something to worry about? Is some sort of software reflash required? Would I have to take it back to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #18
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

First and foremost, I dont have any idea if the kit that I saw has anything to do with your issue and I definitely wouldnt assume that it will fix your issue. If the issue really is that bushing on the input shaft like siicom posted, the sonnax valve body kit is not going to address that. To replace that bushing the transmission has to come out and be opened up.

That said, its a good thing that the shops arent going to mess with the TCM, it would not need to be messed with and unless youre dealing with someone that really knows what theyre doing I wouldnt want them to be messing with it anyway. The sonnax kit only restores pressures to factory levels so no TCM modification or flash would be required to work with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 04:27 PM   #19
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
First and foremost, I dont have any idea if the kit that I saw has anything to do with your issue and I definitely wouldnt assume that it will fix your issue. If the issue really is that bushing on the input shaft like siicom posted, the sonnax valve body kit is not going to address that. To replace that bushing the transmission has to come out and be opened up.

That said, its a good thing that the shops arent going to mess with the TCM, it would not need to be messed with and unless youre dealing with someone that really knows what theyre doing I wouldnt want them to be messing with it anyway. The sonnax kit only restores pressures to factory levels so no TCM modification or flash would be required to work with it.
Thanks for helping to clarify. I have been driving my car today with the new software. I really can't tell much of a difference. As you can probably tell I don't know squat about transmissions. Do you know if there is a way to deal with the input shaft bushing issue or how to fix it short of replacing the entire transmission. Again the error light came on after hard acceleration and what felt like a clutch slipping.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #20
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Very few things necessitate a complete replacement. The fact that you're still driving it tells me it pretty much 100% doesn't need to be replaced. What you need is someone who knows the transmission to take a look. If its the input shaft bushing, that can be replaced by it would require taking the transmission out of the car
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #21
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper
Very few things necessitate a complete replacement. The fact that you're still driving it tells me it pretty much 100% doesn't need to be replaced. What you need is someone who knows the transmission to take a look. If its the input shaft bushing, that can be replaced by it would require taking the transmission out of the car
I totally agree. However the transmission slipped again and went into limp mode. So much for the software fix. Given that the dealer is clearly not going to attempt to actually work on the transmission they are going to install a new one. Thank God I am still within warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #22
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Wait you're under warranty? Then definitely get a new trans!
Appreciate 0